Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbaker00

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2011
What about for verizon? Can I unlock my i5 and then be able to use a at&t prepaid sim? Or any country that I travel to? What about a verizon 4s?

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
Just a quick note to add I did the iTunes restore when I got home and indeed got the "Congratulations...." message so I think it's all good.

Can you restore from backup or do have to just restore from the main restore button? I have restored from back up twice but no message. In fact the iphone hung at the end both times. Had to disconnect it and do a hard reset to get it going again. The IMEI checker says its unlocked though.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Can you restore from backup or do have to just restore from the main restore button? I have restored from back up twice but no message. In fact the iphone hung at the end both times. Had to disconnect it and do a hard reset to get it going again. The IMEI checker says its unlocked though.

You have to do a restore first...then after doing the restore you can recover from backup.

If you don't need the warm fuzzy screen showing you it's unlocked....just skip it. The restore process isn't necessary, it's just confirming the unlock for you.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Hmmm... My AT&T iP5 is showing "unlocked".... Could it be a mistake?

When checking my 4S on here is was very accurate. I had checked mine about an hour before I received my email from unlock_fusion and my 4S was still locked. As soon as I got the email that it was unlocked, I checked again on that site and it said it was unlocked.

rml4uk

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2008
I bought my 32GB iPhone 5 on launch day for $299.99 (fully subsidized price) and haven't paid for or requested an unlock, but I just checked my imei at http://dev.mk/iphone-simlock-status-imei-checker/ and it says that my phone is unlocked...

Now, the story behind my purchase is very convoluted (I called AT&T last Wednesday asking if I could get my upgrade eligibility bumped up for the iP5 and a rep told me to add a line to my account to get the subsidized price and then he would call me back and cancel the new line and waive the ETF. After dozens of calls and hours on the phone talking to reps who said he had lied, I finally talked to someone earlier this week who honored what he said and canceled the new line, transferred the iP5 to my old line and waived the $325 ETF) Maybe sometime during that process one of the reps inadvertently unlocked my phone?

Attachments

• imei unlock.jpg
    imei unlock.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 129

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
I used to do unlocks in the UK through eBay and its not worth the hassle for the small reward. I'd get so many buyers claim back the money saying I didn't unlock their phones when I did. Plus paying my guy in the network to unlock them meant I made maybe 300 profit on 1500 a month. Not worth the time and effort.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
If you file PayPal Chargeback or Credit Card Chargeback. I will deactivated your iPhone and deleted your iPhone IMEI from the system. By deactivated and delete your IMEI, your iPhone will be relock once you connect to iTunes. In addition, you cannot have access iPhone feature including "Apple Store App".-Yikes they must be really worried about charge backs:D lol

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Does the phone need to be restored in iTunes to complete the unlock process? Or is it the "Congratulations" screen nothing more than a confirmation message?

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Ok, so these unlockers either have access to the database themselves, or are paying someone else who does have access, correct?

I have to think that the company probably wouldn't want their employees making money on the side by altering the company database... even though it's a relatively benign activity.

Don't get me wrong and start calling me names. I have NO issues with this activity and I may pay for an unlock of my 5 myself. But I wonder what might happen if the person gets caught... will all of these unlocks be reversed?

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
Ok, so these unlockers either have access to the database themselves, or are paying someone else who does have access, correct?

I have to think that the company probably wouldn't want their employees making money on the side by altering the company database... even though it's a relatively benign activity.

Don't get me wrong and start calling me names. I have NO issues with this activity and I may pay for an unlock of my 5 myself. But I wonder what might happen if the person gets caught... will all of these unlocks be reversed?

Who knows for sure since we really don't know how it's done. I've wasted $9 on a lot dumber things, that much is certain!
Now my rant for the day::D For the record, this whole 'lock' business bothers me beyond words. I'm not trying to cheat AT&T for their services here in the US-even though I AM frustrated with their crappy service. I'm traveling abroad to visit family. I've been an AT&T customer for a LOT of years. I had an iPhone 4 that died right before my contract ended and before the 5 came out, needed an iPhone so used up my 'upgrade' for a 4s. My account is current. I've never been late or dinged with any sort of fee for termination or anything like that. And my bill is well in excess of $100 a month. AT&T makes money off of me like I'm a printing press. I've explained all of this to the nice folks at AT&T and can't get them to unlock my old iPhone 4s, so I'm trying this. And I find all this especially galling now that the Verizon iPhone 5's are coming out unlocked...thanks for listening.;)

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Who knows for sure since we really don't know how it's done. I've wasted $9 on a lot dumber things, that much is certain!
Now my rant for the day::D For the record, this whole 'lock' business bothers me beyond words. I'm not trying to cheat AT&T for their services here in the US-even though I AM frustrated with their crappy service. I'm traveling abroad to visit family. I've been an AT&T customer for a LOT of years. I had an iPhone 4 that died right before my contract ended and before the 5 came out, needed an iPhone so used up my 'upgrade' for a 4s. My account is current. I've never been late or dinged with any sort of fee for termination or anything like that. And my bill is well in excess of $100 a month. AT&T makes money off of me like I'm a printing press. I've explained all of this to the nice folks at AT&T and can't get them to unlock my old iPhone 4s, so I'm trying this. And I find all this especially galling now that the Verizon iPhone 5's are coming out unlocked...thanks for listening.;)

I completely agree with you. There's absolutely no reason why phones should be locked. They can enforce your contract with or without a locked phone.

Shaddow825

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2006
Umm due soon means not available. And unlocking an AT&T phone to put in another AT&T SIM seems futile.

What am I missing? :confused:

A sim cutter or scissors will make a sim work in it. Also, I got it just because it was available and under $10. Who knows when it won't be available. These services have closed up before for months at a time and then the unlock becomes more valuable. And who knows when I might want to go overseas and get a prepaid sim with data to be able to look up things w/o wifi.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Umm due soon means not available. And unlocking an AT&T phone to put in another AT&T SIM seems futile.

What am I missing? :confused:

I am not too certain t-mobile does not have them yet. I read sometime last week that they had the sims coming in. Along with the 3G spectrum push, and marketing services for iPhone - it's a start.

At least they are directly competing with AT&T - and doing so not even selling the device but supporting it on the network, in stores, and via tech support.

Simm0nS777

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Northeast Ohio
Hmmm very weird. I just checked my IMEI # and it says it is unlocked. I am on AT&T and am still in contract and did not buy the iPhone at full price. No idea why mine would be unlocked?!?!???

edit: I did just receive a new iPhone from Apple because my first iPhone 5 had a major scratch on the back when I received it. I wonder if the new one they sent me is unlocked?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.