Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your iPhone 5 screen click down

• Rock Solid

Votes: 184 65.2%
  • Top Right corner

Votes: 28 9.9%
  • Top Left corner

Votes: 25 8.9%
  • Bottom Right corner

Votes: 24 8.5%
  • Bottom Left corner

Votes: 35 12.4%

• Total voters

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
How did you guys even notice is it clicking with just a slight push and wipe down of the screen, like that sloppy? Or are you guys pressing the glass with force?

Just regular, maybe a little above but not less, force. Sometimes mine will vary where I can recreate the sound.

alphabetagaga

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Hitchin, UK
Just got my phone checked. They said they took the screen off from the metal frame and had a look inside. Said there was no problem with it.

Hope remounted screen kills the problem lol
were you able to recreate it in front of the sales guy before they took the screen off?

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Just regular, maybe a little above but not less, force. Sometimes mine will vary where I can recreate the sound.

well mine doesn't do it pinched bottom right and left, top corners, right all around the camera area. I don't mean to look for problems but man don't want a lemon as I know I'm going to sell my 5 months down the line when the next gen releases.

with that being said I think I'm going to take a break from the iPhone forums here for a while, just so much stuff you hear and if I keep looking and looking I will probably (along everybody else mostly likely) find some little problem. mine doesn't have anything major the light bleed, metal nicks, purple haze or yellow screens. so yeah good luck to everybody though!!

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Just got my phone checked. They said they took the screen off from the metal frame and had a look inside. Said there was no problem with it.

Hope remounted screen kills the problem lol

Well did it make the sound or seem more flush afterward? I think you could still have demanded a replacement model since you were in range for the return policy.

were you able to recreate it in front of the sales guy before they took the screen off?

I'd like to see the answer to this as well, but I think they're still required to replace or at least fix since we're within the return date. Even if it doesn't make the sound you can still actually see it not be as flush and the front plate move.

well mine doesn't do it pinched bottom right and left, top corners, right all around the camera area. I don't mean to look for problems but man don't want a lemon as I know I'm going to sell my 5 months down the line when the next gen releases.

with that being said I think I'm going to take a break from the iPhone forums here for a while, just so much stuff you hear and if I keep looking and looking I will probably (along everybody else mostly likely) find some little problem. mine doesn't have anything major the light bleed, metal nicks, purple haze or yellow screens. so yeah good luck to everybody though!!

5 months down the line? Oh really? Want to place money bets on the iPhone 5S's release month? Trust me, it will be more than 11 months before a new iPhone is announced. Either way though, it's your choice to update your phone. I also wouldn't consider a niche or this front panel reason to call it a "lemon." They don't take away from the function of the device. A niche is a cosmetic thing that shouldn't be there out of box but so be it if it happens after unboxing. The front pannel issue is just something we notice every time we touch the display and we worry about it potentially getting worse over time.

emsn

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I'd like to see the answer to this as well, but I think they're still required to replace or at least fix since we're within the return date. Even if it doesn't make the sound you can still actually see it not be as flush and the front plate move.

My screen was never loose on the edges but only in the centre of the screen, so you couldn't actually see a physical defect on the phone.

So the Apple Genius guy wanted me to replicate the problem. But I couldn't, this was probably because I drained my battery and charged it up to 100% in one go 5 hours before I went to the genius bar. When I was charging the phone it got a bit warm, so I think the adhesive was warm enough to stick itself back together again? The popping sound was very faint after charging my phone, and I pressed my screen pretty hard as well. So I might have stuck the parts back together. lol.

Anyway the guy said he'd take a look at the screen at the back of the store (10 min wait) and when he came out with my phone he said he found nothing wrong with it, so he couldn't call in a repair service or exchange it.

To him the phone was rock solid and there was no popping sound - the edges of the screen were locked in place. He said if there was any problem with the phone again just book another appointment with the genius bar and someone will check it out.

Now I'm back home and the popping sound is gone - the phone is rock solid again. For all I know, the sounds might come back again in the next few days...we'll see :confused:

P.S Besides we still have a year's worth of AppleCare to go through, and that thing covers repairs as well. :)

Last edited:

(-(ellblazer420

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
SF Bay Area
When I opened my 16gig slate & black phone on Friday after work and I instantly noticed that the screen was clicking in the bottom right corner near the home button. I held off on playing with the phone that night and went straight into a Apple store at 10 am the next morning on Saturday. I showed the genius the issue. Because the store was so loud he went into the back to check it. 2 min later he came back out and said yes he most defiantly can feel the click and hear the pop. About 5 min later a person in street clothes came walking in and slid a thin white box across the genius bar. We opened it up and inspected the new phone thoroughly. NO scuffs, no pops, no clicks. It felt much sturdier than the first phone I had received.

Total time in the Apple store was 10 minutes. The phone I received is a new phone not refurbished. So far the phone has had no issues all week. When in doubt just head down to the nearest Apple store and just be nice with the Apple employee's and you will get a new phone. If you go in there screaming and acting like a dick then no one will want to help you out. ;)

Aug 4, 2012
Damn, only me?

Might have to visit an Apple store this week then, see what they say.

It just seems so minor, but hopefully they can either replace it, or tighten something behind the screen.

We shall see!

My neighbor showed me his phone, I felt the "click" feeling the second he handed it to me. The lower left corner to be exact. What more could possibly be defective on these things?! Lets see:
Poor anodizing/Scuffing
Light leakage
Faulty screens
Warped and bent
Sunken home buttons
Loose batteries
Purple hue in pics
Screens clicking
Dust and debris under screen
Raised edge around display

Argentine86

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2011
iPad does this due to warped/bent back, same thing?

my Ipad does this on bottom right corner because the metal back cover is slightly warped from a corner fall, so mine clicks in corner and actually moves in.

Perhaps similar issue on iPhone 5 since metal back, perhaps slight warpage causing miniscule separation in corner? Btw no clicking on my iphone 5.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
My screen was never loose on the edges but only in the centre of the screen, so you couldn't actually see a physical defect on the phone.

So the Apple Genius guy wanted me to replicate the problem. But I couldn't, this was probably because I drained my battery and charged it up to 100% in one go 5 hours before I went to the genius bar. When I was charging the phone it got a bit warm, so I think the adhesive was warm enough to stick itself back together again? The popping sound was very faint after charging my phone, and I pressed my screen pretty hard as well. So I might have stuck the parts back together. lol.

Anyway the guy said he'd take a look at the screen at the back of the store (10 min wait) and when he came out with my phone he said he found nothing wrong with it, so he couldn't call in a repair service or exchange it.

To him the phone was rock solid and there was no popping sound - the edges of the screen were locked in place. He said if there was any problem with the phone again just book another appointment with the genius bar and someone will check it out.

Now I'm back home and the popping sound is gone - the phone is rock solid again. For all I know, the sounds might come back again in the next few days...we'll see :confused:

P.S Besides we still have a year's worth of AppleCare to go through, and that thing covers repairs as well. :)

Hm. I think it's safe to assume he was able to observe it farther in the back. Maybe all he did was remove the front plate, but just reseating it may have fixed the problem. Hopefully it doesn't start to occur again!

Richie2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
West Sussex UK
My iP5 screen has started clicking in the top right corner and is noticeably loose. Don't need to apply any excessive force on it. Just light pressing of the screen whilst playing Asphalt7 was how I noticed it. Off to the Apple store in the morning to get it replaced. Gutted as I had no scuffs,chips or marks out of the box and thought I was one of the lucky ones.

Aug 4, 2012
My iP5 screen has started clicking in the top right corner and is noticeably loose. Don't need to apply any excessive force on it. Just light pressing of the screen whilst playing Asphalt7 was how I noticed it. Off to the Apple store in the morning to get it replaced. Gutted as I had no scuffs,chips or marks out of the box and thought I was one of the lucky ones.

Richie I would get my money back and wait a few months and go back then and try another. I think the entire first lot is faulty personally, it's a matter of time before others who report they got a flawless phone start seeing issues.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Well did it make the sound or seem more flush afterward? I think you could still have demanded a replacement model since you were in range for the return policy.

5 months down the line? Oh really? Want to place money bets on the iPhone 5S's release month? Trust me, it will be more than 11 months before a new iPhone is announced. Either way though, it's your choice to update your phone. I also wouldn't consider a niche or this front panel reason to call it a "lemon." They don't take away from the function of the device. A niche is a cosmetic thing that shouldn't be there out of box but so be it if it happens after unboxing. The front pannel issue is just something we notice every time we touch the display and we worry about it potentially getting worse over time.

Dude learn to read....when I sell my 5 as in iPhone 5 months down the line. I say months because it is usually not even a full year till the next release :rolleyes:

mpapaj

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2009
My iPhone 4 did the same thing. Turns out it was the plastic pull tab over the battery not laying flat. Felt and sounded like a faint, hollow give whenever I tapped the the back of the phone. Not a defect, just annoying.

UCF Sam

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
I traded my first iPhone 5 in for this... The second on is completely solid but has its own minor flaws.

Richie2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
West Sussex UK
Richie I would get my money back and wait a few months and go back then and try another. I think the entire first lot is faulty personally, it's a matter of time before others who report they got a flawless phone start seeing issues.

I might just do that to be honest. I loved my 4S and have not sold it on yet so may go back to that for a little while.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Dude learn to read....when I sell my 5 as in iPhone 5 months down the line. I say months because it is usually not even a full year till the next release :rolleyes:

Totally my bad! Sorry, I might have been high. I hope the rest of my post made sense!

My iPhone 4 did the same thing. Turns out it was the plastic pull tab over the battery not laying flat. Felt and sounded like a faint, hollow give whenever I tapped the the back of the phone. Not a defect, just annoying.

I think these are different issue as the location of the sound varies for everyone, sometimes it doesn't make a sound at all, and we can actually see the front plate move and not be flush all the way around.

Last edited:

greylee

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
ok I did not get a replacement nor an exchange :(

so mine has the problem with the 'click' at the bottom right corner. but since we couldn't reproduce the problem at the apple store. The genius bar couldn't have a diagnosis hence they couldn't do anything with it. So I was suggested to get an exchange if the 'click' really bothers me. HOWEVER, since no one has any stock in place.... I can't get mine exchanged. so at the end of the day, I still have the phone and have to go to the store within the 30 days period to try to exchange (thats if I can get to the store when they have anything in stock)

Bret7699

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
Mine does indeed!

I noticed it this morning, when I woke up. I keep my phone on my night stand and when I went to big it up, I noticed the screen push in on the bottom right corner. I know that it doesn't seem like a big deal, but when you pay $299 for a product you except it to come in perfect condition. I am going to Apple tomorrow, but I fear they won't have any in stock and I will have to wait for a replacement.

greylee

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
I noticed it this morning, when I woke up. I keep my phone on my night stand and when I went to big it up, I noticed the screen push in on the bottom right corner. I know that it doesn't seem like a big deal, but when you pay $299 for a product you except it to come in perfect condition. I am going to Apple tomorrow, but I fear they won't have any in stock and I will have to wait for a replacement.

if they can reproduce the problem in store, they will have a replacement phone for you right away. (but the apple staff told me, the replacement phones are all refurbished phones) he suggested me to try to get an exchange, which i will get a brand new phone. but the problem is the store sell out their phones everyday!! so only if you are lucky to get an iphone in store to have it replaced.

I am going to the store in the morning when it opens. fingers crossed.

GadgetGeek407

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
florida
glad I read this thread, I ironically just got my iphone 5 replaced yesterday because of battery and email not refreshing issues, now I noticed when I shake my phone I can hear like a screw or something rattling inside, anyone else have this? what is it? should I exchange?

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
glad I read this thread, I ironically just got my iphone 5 replaced yesterday because of battery and email not refreshing issues, now I noticed when I shake my phone I can hear like a screw or something rattling inside, anyone else have this? what is it? should I exchange?

The only rattling I hear on mine comes from the sleep button. When I hold it down and shake the phone I don't hear it.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
I went to the Apple Store last Thursday and here’s how my visit went.

Before arriving I knew it did it most consistently when it’s cold. EG, every morning when I first pick it up you can click the bottom right corner repeatedly for about 10 minutes. Then as it warms up it seems to stop.

Luckily, last Thursday in Manchester was freezing, so I had my phone out as much as possible while my girlfriend was looking around Top Shop as we made our way to the Apple Store.

I arrived and explained my screen clicking issue to an employee, and my plan of making the phone cold worked. It was clicking, and I was relieved.

He agreed that it wasn’t right and his friend’s iPhone 5 had the exact same issue, he took my details and told me to come back in an hour as they were so busy and they will replace it.

An hour later I arrived back, but because I was told I was getting a replacement I hadn’t bothered keeping it cold and used it normally. When I got back to the Store it wasn’t clicking nearly as much. If I left it on a table untouched for a few minutes you could make it happen.

I got sent to a genius to explain my problem, and I also told him another employee agreed the phone had a loose fitting screen and that getting a replacement wouldn’t be an issue. But he couldn’t make it click.

I looked around for the employee who had agreed that my phone was faulty, but he wasn’t there anymore. I explained to the Genius that I travelled a long way to the store, and I wouldn’t have bothered if the phone was fine, and if I can’t get a replacement I will get a refund and order a new one if I had to.

He typed some more stuff into his iPad and disappeared out the back.

While he was there I put my iPhone into airplane mode and left it on the genius bar while I waited.

He came back with a replacement handset and began to unpack it. He said that if I’m not happy with the phone, they would replace it.

I was really happy at this point, and he got out the replacement for me to check. It was solid as a rock and not a scuff in sight. Fantastic.

I could tell he wasn’t delighted with giving me a replacement. So, with my old handset still on the table, untouched, I knew it would click, so I asked him to press down on the right bottom corner while it’s lying on the table.

Sure enough, it clicked, a click loud enough to hear from 5 feet away.

He was kind of shocked, and he said he could understand why I needed a replacement because he wouldn’t be happy if his phone did that.

People may not think this problem is a big deal, but I can’t explain how annoying it is when it happens every time you pick it up, or 50% of the time you hit the home button.

There’s a bit difference between rock solid, and not quite rock solid. And I think if you have this issue, and it’s bothering you, you should take it into the store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.