Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacGameStore.com has released a new Mac app to facilitate easy purchase and organization of games from the store. The app is similar to Steam, but specifically focused on digital game downloads for the Mac and includes many major titles from big studios like EA and Aspyr.

One particularly useful feature is a "Game Compatibility Checker" that compares the user's Mac to the game's requirements in real time, making life easier for users with slightly older machines. Another is the ability to delete purchased games and redownload them from the cloud at any time, a useful feature for MacBook Air owners with limited storage space.

macgamestore.jpg

The Mac Game Store can also act as a repository for all the user's games, even those not purchased through the MGS, organizing them in one place for easy access. The store also gives access to demos for many games, as well as game reviews and ratings, and more.

The app is available free from Mac Game Store's website.

Article Link: Mac Game Store Launches Steam-Like Digital Download App

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Hopefully more stable than steam...

did we really need another though? steam, origin, gaikai... guess it is mac only.

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
The Digital Frontier
I got games for Mac, but they are all on Steam. So I don't bother buying them again on the App Store. There aren't any App Store exclusive that I like. Probably won't be downloading this app, maybe, just try out.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
So eventually all the game licenses people have will be spread out among twelve + "stores" and when some of them go out of business, the license owners will be screwed.

I was ok with Steam and the iOS/Mac App Store, but I have zero interest in further distributing my download-only software purchases.

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
As if the windows app was much better. It's almost as buggy and crashy as the Mac version but at least you don't care about native looking and well integrated programs on windows.

I don't know what system you are using but Steam has never crashed on me since the dark days of it's launch years. It runs fine on OSX, Windows 7 and in Parallels.

This game client would be a solid addition if it was modeled after GOG and distributed DRM-free games, but as another client that shares almost exactly the same content as Steam it's throwing a pebble against a mountain.

Now if Apple reconfigured the almost-useless Game Center to be something like this ...

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
This has to be the stupidest facial expression I've ever seen. It's probably a great idea to advertise a game with it.

screenshot20120927at317.png

Last edited:

Pechente

macrumors member
I don't know what system you are using but Steam has never crashed on me since the dark days of it's launch years. It runs fine on OSX, Windows 7 and in Parallels.

I don't know which version of Steam you're using but there are system outages around 3 times a day, often profile pages don't load, trades don't load, the client isn't written in native APIs, context menus are rendered behind main windows, hl2_osx sometimes crashes, the game overlay works two in three times and the devs don't test updates on OS X before they release them. Anyone remembers the Steam update a few months back that kept every Source game from starting up or made it crash after joining a server!?

You clearly use Steam just barely or lack an eye for details that you don't notice all the flaws with the software.

Edit: Steam on OS X often crashes when quit using CMD + Q but even more often, the source games crash - also often when quit using the short key.

Last edited:

quickmac

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2011
Steam on Mac was ok, but most games continue to be for Windows only so then it was Steam on Bootcamp.

But really if you are into gaming just build a custom PC for gaming, run Windows 7 with Steam installed and you're set. No switching to boot camp, no waiting for Steam for Mac to not suck, and no limitations of hardware/software compatibility.

Although for casual gaming, I'd say the App Store move is a nice touch, since I now use my MBP only for work/portable tasks I'd consider buying a game or two from App Store to keep on the go.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
As if the windows app was much better. It's almost as buggy and crashy as the Mac version but at least you don't care about native looking and well integrated programs on windows.

Yet to experience a Steam crash on Windows. OS X however... different story. :(

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
You clearly use Steam just barely or lack an eye for details that you don't notice all the flaws with the software.

Edit: Steam on OS X often crashes when quit using CMD + Q but even more often, the source games crash - also often when quit using the short key.

Barely? My library of about 95 games says otherwise.

Flaws and bugs are completely different. For example if you want to use the two interchangeably then iOS email is the buggiest email client on the market.

edit: And just to test Steam, I just opened and quit it several times without issue in Mountain Lion.

Last edited:

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
MGS.com Servers down...

I have a MGS account and it's nice to be able to buy these games online, but hey... why not use the Mac App Store? Guaranteed store and lots of exposure.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-27 at 9.47.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-27 at 9.47.14 PM.png
    49 KB · Views: 185

tuncer

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2008
Sorry about that. We had no idea MacRumors was going to post the article today and traffic went to hell.

The article should say "MacRumors kills Macgamestore.com" :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.