Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I recently purchased a faulty ibook where the fault was apparently a logic board fault. I've started it up and it seems to work fine apart from the fact that the trackpad doesn't work. Luckily I ordered a replacement trackpad last week for a different ibook I was possibly getting but didn't. It hasn't arrived yet but that shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, I ordered a replacement logic board on ebay since I thought this logic board was faulty. The one already in the ibook is a 2001 model with 8mb of onboard video memory. How can I find out what the other one is? I know its also a 600Mhz G3 model like the one in the laptop but I don't know how to work out which revision it is, be it the 8mb or 16mb graphics chip. I've got a feeling its actually the same 8mb one as is already in there but I'd like to find out for sure.

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
I guess you would need to have it in your hands before you could tell. The first 600MHz iBook used the Rage 128 Mobility w/ 8MB, and then it was upped to the Mobility Radeon w/ 16MB in May 2002. It should be fairly easy to distinguish between the two board revs by sight if you already know what the one you have looks like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.