Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
I've had the 16GB iPhone 4 for about 2 years. I currently have about 2GB of space left, but when I upgraded to iOs 6 last week I had to clear space for the update, which meant deleting some apps. I also have a lot of pictures on my phone. Is it worth getting the 32GB this time, or just clear off some pictures....I would pay more now, but in 2 years would have a higher resale value than a 16GB.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I've had the 16GB iPhone 4 for about 2 years. I currently have about 2GB of space left, but when I upgraded to iOs 6 last week I had to clear space for the update, which meant deleting some apps. I also have a lot of pictures on my phone. Is it worth getting the 32GB this time, or just clear off some pictures....I would pay more now, but in 2 years would have a higher resale value than a 16GB.

Get the highest capacity you can afford .... you can never have too much storage.

There is the potential that apps can take up a little more storage as they are made iphone 5 compatible, due to larger graphics etc for the larger screen.

G.

Sneakyfox

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
England, UK
I had a 16GB 4S and the space limitations annoyed me.

My entire music library (on my iTunes) is around 35GB, and I dont necessarily want ALL of it on my iPhone but having to cut it down to around 10GB was annoying.

Photos took up like 3-4GB and the rest was quickly filled by apps and jailbreak tweaks.

So this time round I went for 32GB, and I definitely don't regret it.

Managed to put 20GB of music, 5GB of apps/photos, and the rest I've left free.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Most people will always find a way to fill up the extra space if they upgrade and still end up wanting more. I don't regret moving to 32GB at all. Had 16 up until the 4s. 32GB allows me to have a decent large amount of music for on the go, maybe even an HD movie if I want, a good portion of my photo library as well as all the apps/games I need or want on my phone. If you can I would get the highest amount you can afford.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
I'll go with the 32GB. I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere but does it make any difference if I order from Apple or AT&T?

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I wouldn't think so but I've only ever ordered from apple, either in store or online just because I like the experience better. But it shouldn't matter except if you have a business or premium account with AT&T. I think then, you're limited to buying from AT&T.

tigerfan41

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Get the 32GB as long as you can afford it. I made the mistake of getting the 16GB 4S last year and was never satisfied with how little space I had for my apps, photos and music. I bought the 32GB 5 this year and now have tons of space for music (I have about 1700 songs in there), photos (400-500), videos and apps (over 100).

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Now the question is....do I order online right now from AT&T or Apple, or hope that a local store gets one in stock (i'm on a waitlist at Radio Shack...). I know if I order online, they'll call me tonight to say they have one for me! AT&T store told me even though it says 2-3 weeks, they've been hearing that it's really about 10 days.

zero2krazy

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2009
My iPhone 4 was 16gb and I upgraded to the 32gb iPhone 5 and I'm very happy I did. You won't regret it dude. Worth the extra hundred bucks IF you can afford it.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
For me 32GB is the minimum. I have a 16GB 4S and it's always at the limit. My 5 will be 32GB and is the prime reason I am upgrading.

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I've had 16 since iPhone 3G and I upped to 32 this time. I tend to keep a fair amount of pictures and random videos of stuff I see and it sucked always worrying about it. Its a bit easier now using Photostream and streaming services like Pandora or Spotify, but it's not that much more and if you sell your phone next time you'll get your money back mostly.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Now the question is....do I order online right now from AT&T or Apple, or hope that a local store gets one in stock (i'm on a waitlist at Radio Shack...). I know if I order online, they'll call me tonight to say they have one for me! AT&T store told me even though it says 2-3 weeks, they've been hearing that it's really about 10 days.

FWIW, I preordered my iPhone 5 on launch day and it said it would ship in 2 weeks and deliver by Oct. 5. I just got it on Tuesday (9/25). So, if that is any indication, the wait times are definitely shorter than what Apple's website says.

davidlw

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2008
I couldn't decide either so I got the 64 gig phone. It helped that AT&T only had the 64 gig models left in stock. Now I am glad that I got it. Helps to future proof the phone.

newone757

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
After seeing the resale value on my 32gb iphone 4 compared to my wifes 16gb (only about $20 higher!) I will never opt for a bigger iPhone. It was already a major ripoff-16 gb of extra storage does NOT cost $100, it only costs them a few bucks more to manufacture. They enjoy CRAZY profit margins on us who opt for the larger storage sizes.

I will always go for smallest size now because I never keep a phone over 2 years so resale value s important to me. Ive already tailored a nice playlist from my itunes with a 10 gb cap on it in preparation. I used to keep 26 gb of music on me on my 32 gb but to be honest I never listened to it ALL. SO i will be more selective in what I bring with me and essentially "pack lighter"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.