Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Make Donuts

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
utah
Title Correction: AT&T: Switching from LTE to 4G Iphone 5

I want to check to see if this is happening to anybody else, When placing a phone call it downgrades from LTE to 4G and after hanging up 4G will disappear and you have nothing displayed for up to a minute then LTE shows up? This happens to me all the time even when texting as well. I might be wrong but was it Verizon who cannot simultaneously run LTE whilst making a call and AT&T not having this problem?

Last edited:

jandre

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
no one uses LTE for voice yet, only data.

Meaning no one is offering Voice over LTE, as in the same concept of Voice over IP. Not to be construed with device establishing simultaneous connections to both a voice protocol/network, and an LTE protocol/network at the same time in the same way it is possible to remain connected via wifi while making a call.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Meaning no one is offering Voice over LTE, as in the same concept of Voice over IP. Not to be construed with device establishing simultaneous connections to both a voice protocol/network, and an LTE protocol/network at the same time in the same way it is possible to remain connected via wifi while making a call.

at&t will offer LTE data connection. however, once a voice call is made, bands will switch and data and voice will be sent over 850/1900, as opposed to the LTE bands. once the call is finished, the phone will revert back to both listening for calls on the 4G bands and sending/receiving data on the LTE bands.

HaroldStewar

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
it drops to 4G to make the call.
a98.jpg

liltechdude

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2008
Harrisburg, PA
Anyone noticing that it sometimes takes forever to switch back to LTE after the phone call?

Sometimes it takes longer than a minute at which I go into settings and manually toggle the switch.

So far it seems to take, on average, about 10 seconds after ending a phone call to go back to LTE. Kind of annoying.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Anyone noticing that it sometimes takes forever to switch back to LTE after the phone call?

Sometimes it takes longer than a minute at which I go into settings and manually toggle the switch.

So far it seems to take, on average, about 10 seconds after ending a phone call to go back to LTE. Kind of annoying.

mine wont even go on LTE. i get 2 bars of LTE, then after a few minutes the phone reverts back to 4G and never goes back.

asichevoy

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
LTE does not return if hotspot is ON

Well, it is known that for the voice call iphone 5 goes back to 3G/4G HSPA and it actually does return back to LTE within a minute or 2 BUT ONLY IF I AM NOT USING IT AS AN ACTIVE HOTSPOT! Anyone experienced the same? any workaround other than turning HS off and back on?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.