Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which feature would you be the most excited for?

• Predictor

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Custom Notifications

Votes: 11 2.5%
  • Location-Based Actions

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Dynamic Icons

Votes: 25 5.8%
  • Widgets

Votes: 43 9.9%
  • Siri API

Votes: 22 5.1%
  • Offline Siri

• Quick Reply (Messaging)

Votes: 37 8.5%
  • New UI

Votes: 240 55.3%
  • Something Else (Be sure to post what)

• Total voters

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
A quick reply from the lockscreen would be cool. You would have to enter your password to prevent anyone from replying.

Quick access to wifi, 4g, and all that from the notifications menu would be a nice addition.

JMoSox

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2012
I think that mobile OS' in general have lost track of what "mobile" should be. The ability to have access to information, communication, organization has been available for a long time. There have been a lot of refinements, but not a lot of big changes. I think that a mobile device should still be about access to info, but it needs to be more personal. iOS should be able to learn who you are. Where do you work, what days and times do you work - how do you get there. Now that TBT maps are on board, it should be easy for the iPhone to use this information, like google now, to check traffic and weather conditions before you wake up, set off alarm earlier if there is problem with traffic, give you the information and alternative routes if necessary. It should be able to give you access to the news that you care about, be aware of appointments in your calendar and alert you if you're running late or if traffic will be a problem. Basically, information presented to you as opposed to you having to look it up.

essential

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
I like a lot of the ideas so far. I agree with the block call/text, and would also like the ability to show/hide pre-loaded apps. I'm sick of Newstand looking like the ugly duckling I can't hide in a folder, and don't need things I don't use like GameCenter taking up space in a folder. I don't think Apple will ever let us delete them, but at least let us hide them.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
All of you - http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
Please submit here. Most are very good. And instead of hoping, you put the ball on Apples court.

green94

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
Something like Intelliscreen X - i'm already missing my jailbroken 4S... but not too much :)

Pock

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2012
Beds/Cambs, UK
  • Redesign some default apps -- make it more consistent - if Apple are gonna use black bars, then make everything use black bars.

Totally agree with this. iOS6 feels like each app was designed by a different team of people. There should be more consistency across the default apps.

I'm not bothered by a total UI refresh, I don't see how it's necessary, but general consistency would go a long way.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I could see Apple shutting out the iPhone 4 for iOS 7 and utilizing the processing power of all the dual-cores for some features. A lot of people are asking for a UI refresh, but what exactly? I don't see the point. I would like some third-party NC widgets and some NC settings toggles, but besides that I'm not sure what kind of UI change I would want.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
I just submitted this to Apple:

Do you think if I send it everyday they'll get added? Or they'll just block me ;)!

---
A couple of ideas for the next revision of iOS.
As a lot of people are now starting to stay iOS is becoming stale, old and plain boring compared to Android and even WP you guys really need to step up.

- Ability to have a different background per page, fantastic for those panoramic pictures, you could scroll across your own picture!

- Live updating weather icon

- Move icons anywhere, not just in the grid. Maybe an option to unlock from the grid like on PCs?

- Better multitasking, you guys use Expose on Mac, which is the best thing in the World...why is this seriously not at least on the iPad????!

- Easier and quicker way to quit apps, like on Android, you can swipe to quit. It's stupid on iOS where you have to hold down and wait for the quit. There isn't even a quit all button.

- More camera/video options. Basic options, like white balance, file size etc

- MASSIVE update to the photos app...so we can search for pictures, rate, tag photos, flag, select from A-B to delete quicker.

- Make videos go in their own folder, not in the camera roll

- View EXIF info in the photos app

- One click share photos to Mac folder via Wifi (not iCloud) like an app called PhotoSync

- Make screenshots go in their own album, not in the camera roll...maybe the same for saved photos from the web

- Toggles in the notification centre, like for airplane mode, brightness, volume, wifi etc

- Better bluetooth sharing options. Something like Airdrop for Mac but with iOS devices. We don't all have access to the internet, but closeup we could bluetooth/airshare photos

- SET DEFAULT APP

- Make folders automatically close after you've opened then closed the app (maybe an option in settings)

- Unified search box in safari

- An animation when unlocking/locking the phone. Like the Nexus, or like you can get when you jailbreak the iPhone

- Ability to put newsstand in a folder (seriously...)

- Airprint to other printers........

- Upload to Facebook 'Mobile Uploads' album

- Yearly view on the Calendar app

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
It needs a UI refresh. Functionality can stay the same (well, improve), but as far as customization, it needs an update...badly.

----------

iOS 5 - Integration with Twitter.

iOS 6 - Integration with Facebook

iOS 7 - Integration with LinkdIn ?:confused::confused:

Integration of MySpace.

You haven't heard? Justin Timberlake says MySpace is coming backkkk! :p

Pock

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2012
Beds/Cambs, UK
I'd like notifications to work so that when I read an email or check a Facebook message on one device, it updates on all devices. Much the same as iMessage works now.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
Whats that?

Wifi Plus Cellular is a feature Apple intended to include with iOS6 which when enabled will choose whichever network gives the best speed and stability.

Quite often you automatically join a public wifi network, even with a great signal and have pig slow speeds. With the introduction of HSDPA+/4G and LTE it's quite possible your cellular connectivity would be better. With Wifi Plus Cellular it would choose your Cellular connection in this example.

I presume it wasn't working stable enough to include in the final release and it was removed in beta 4 i think. Quite ironic considering Maps is just as bad :D

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
I just submitted this to Apple:

Do you think if I send it everyday they'll get added? Or they'll just block me ;)!

---
A couple of ideas for the next revision of iOS.
As a lot of people are now starting to stay iOS is becoming stale, old and plain boring compared to Android and even WP you guys really need to step up.

- Ability to have a different background per page, fantastic for those panoramic pictures, you could scroll across your own picture!

- Live updating weather icon

- Move icons anywhere, not just in the grid. Maybe an option to unlock from the grid like on PCs?

- Better multitasking, you guys use Expose on Mac, which is the best thing in the World...why is this seriously not at least on the iPad????!

- Easier and quicker way to quit apps, like on Android, you can swipe to quit. It's stupid on iOS where you have to hold down and wait for the quit. There isn't even a quit all button.

- More camera/video options. Basic options, like white balance, file size etc

- MASSIVE update to the photos app...so we can search for pictures, rate, tag photos, flag, select from A-B to delete quicker.

- Make videos go in their own folder, not in the camera roll

- View EXIF info in the photos app

- One click share photos to Mac folder via Wifi (not iCloud) like an app called PhotoSync

- Make screenshots go in their own album, not in the camera roll...maybe the same for saved photos from the web

- Toggles in the notification centre, like for airplane mode, brightness, volume, wifi etc

- Better bluetooth sharing options. Something like Airdrop for Mac but with iOS devices. We don't all have access to the internet, but closeup we could bluetooth/airshare photos

- SET DEFAULT APP

- Make folders automatically close after you've opened then closed the app (maybe an option in settings)

- Unified search box in safari

- An animation when unlocking/locking the phone. Like the Nexus, or like you can get when you jailbreak the iPhone

- Ability to put newsstand in a folder (seriously...)

- Airprint to other printers........

- Upload to Facebook 'Mobile Uploads' album

- Yearly view on the Calendar app

I think that if enough people send similar requests, they'd be fools not to listen. And I like the way you were polite, that might also help ;).

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
iOS just isn't improving as quickly as it can be.

All this talk about how Apple shouldn't change much of their UI for fear of upsetting the "main stream" non-tech user base is really, I think, unfounded.

Apple holds classes in their stores. Every time I visit the Apple store, there are people lined up and crowded around the classrooms with happy faces. They've signed up and paid to take those classes; people are eager to learn how to use their new shiny Apple products. Apple can teach them whatever new UI elements they introduce. They're capable of finding ways of implementing new ideas in an intuitive way.

There's no reason Apple shouldn't dynamically change their OS to give users more flexibility.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Another feature I just thought of...

Shared Notifications - option to see notifications from other devices on the same network. So for example you could start a large download on your Mac and leave then the room, with a notification appearing on your iDevice when it's done. Or if you receive a call on your iPhone you could see the caller ID information without having to look away from your Mac's or AppleTV's screen*. To avoid confusion the notification could be prefaced with the name of the originating device.

*similar to a feature some cable providers offer with their digital phone service.

Last edited:

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Shared Notifications - option to see notifications from other devices on the same network. So for example you could start a large download on your Mac and leave then the room, with a notification appearing on your iDevice when it's done. Or if you receive a call on your iPhone you could see the caller ID information without having to look away from your Mac's or AppleTV's screen*. To avoid confusion the notification could be prefaced with the name of the originating device.
That is a really good idea.

I submitted to feedback that I would like a quick reply function. I would love to be able to reply to a text without leaving the app. I used to be able to with a jailbreak, and I miss it.

I really encourage all of you to submit these ideas. I've seen a lot of good ideas that I didn't even think about before reading them. PLEASE use Apple.com/feedback.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
Iam expecting more change. We have seen what this OS can do, now we need a change. Hell, of all the tweaks I have seen from Cydia, Apple can do better.

I wanna see more than "oh we created a folder so u can put ur stuff in it"-type of thing. Its so dull.

Please Apple. Use your imagination.

MMOTotal

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Azeroth
It seems every years people want that UI refresh. I am fine with the current UI just make it a bit more interactive.

As others have mentioned, things like live updated weather icons and re-sizable app icons etc.

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
It seems every years people want that UI refresh. I am fine with the current UI just make it a bit more interactive.

As others have mentioned, things like live updated weather icons and re-sizable app icons etc.

Thats cool and all, but "I am fine with..." doesn't necessarily speak for the general population. I'm getting to the point where I have to switch out menial apps like my Twitter client from making myself feel like my experience is becoming stale :(

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
My iOS 7 Hopes and Wishes (merged)

1. Much more clean design made by Jonny Ive

2. More customization for UI like themes, toolbar colors, status bar colors, button colors

3. Kill all apps or option to disable multitasking

4. Google+, Tumblr, Flickr, and Instagram integration

5. More if you can think of any

Last edited:

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I dont understand "much more clean design" ?? iOS doesnt have much going on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.