Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

werthan

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012

riseboi

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
Miami Beach
OP, I came across this credit card case that fits your criteria.

http://www.boostcase.com/store/?page_id=667

Their blog page indicates that they will be updating their hybrid series for the iPhone 5.

I had their Extended Battery Hybrid case for my 4S. I kinda like the multi-functionality of their snap cases to add on a credit card case or extra battery depending on my needs.

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas

Their blog page indicates that they will be updating their hybrid series for the iPhone 5.

I had their Extended Battery Hybrid case for my 4S. I kinda like the multi-functionality of their snap cases to add on a credit card case or extra battery depending on my needs.

Nice! I really like these ones! I really hope they come out with the 5 soon!

imMICHAEL

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2010
I literally just received the Targus wallet case (listed in the OP) in the mail.

And it's really. REALLY Bulky. It's like two iPhone 5's stacked on one another.

I purchased mine from amazon and plan on returning.

lkw15

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2012
Great thread. I went to the Fresh Fiber site and ordered a case. I'll throw up a few pics and do a quick review when I get it.

Chromus

macrumors regular
May 20, 2010
Has anyone had experience with the Q Card case from CM4? I think they look really nice but haven't really heard of them until this thread. My main concern is it will be too bulky or not hold cards securely. I used the Speck Candyshell Card case on my iPhone 4, but found that it was too bulky for my liking.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008

Added! Thanks!!! :)

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I literally just received the Targus wallet case (listed in the OP) in the mail.

And it's really. REALLY Bulky. It's like two iPhone 5's stacked on one another.

I purchased mine from amazon and plan on returning.

My Speck SmartFlex is on its way. I hope it is not too bulky. Speck don't give you dimensions but I can't imagine they can make it any thinner given the material used.

I never considered a wallet case until I saw this thread. Now I kinda talked myself into thinking that it's the best thing since sliced bread.

But I have had crazier ideas before so this is not the first time :). Like the time I bought a nice leather pouch for my iPhone 4 and after a few weeks the hassle of removing the pouch from my pocket, and then the phone from the pouch, and nearly dropping it many times when trying to do so in a hurry, and the missed calls when trying to do so carefully so not to drop the phone. Then it dawned on me that the pouch may actually contribute to my chance of dropping the phone unprotected more so than removing the bare phone from my pocket, I now the owner of a really nice barely used Beyza leather pouch.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
Okay, I'm just like a few other posters here in that I hadn't really thought about an iPhone case/wallet hybrid (or even known about them) until tonight as I was reading this and clicking on links.

Of course, as I'm sure you all know, when you click on one link, you end up being led off in different directions all over the web. Well, in the process of my link clicking and Googling, I came across this site, which reminded me that I had read an article about this company about 6 months ago, and then forgot about it:

iCache | Your Wallet, simple and secure

Amazingly, this device just received funding through Kickstarter, and it's only made for the iPhone 4/4s. WTF?!?!? A brand new company, funded by Kickstarter and partnered with the likes of Oracle and Apple itself, selling an über-cool digital and biometric iPhone case/wallet which only works with obsolete iPhones?

Well, I have to believe the iPhone 5 version is in the works, and if that comes out in the next few months, I have a very strong feeling I'll want to spend the $200 on that! Isn't this a step toward the Holy Grail of technology Zen? Truly having one thing in your pocket which eliminates the need for any of those credit cards in the first place? All we need now is a way to use that universal Geode card as a door key, a car key, and identification. Then, I think that would do it. No wallet, no keys. Just an iPhone and it's Geode case and card, using the app with fingerprint activation to turn that card into whatever you want it to be. Yep, that's the cleanest solution I've ever heard of...certainly seems more secure than NFC.

Why are more people not talking about this? Is this not really as cool or secure as it looks, or is this just too ridiculously expensive to ever be a viable option? I don't know, but it sounds awesome to me!

Attachments

• produnt1.png
    produnt1.png
    169.9 KB · Views: 202

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Glad it sounds awesome to you. I don't like it cause I think it's far too much hassle and bulk for me.

It's a cool concept though. :)

AndyFL

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
Speck case

Ok, got the Speck SmartFlex in today. Slightly different than the version for the 4, but I'll spare you the compare/contrast - as it really doesn't matter because we're talking about the 5!

I've got 3 cards in there and you'll see it's slightly bowed. That's due to the rubber 'hump' that is in there to hold the cards tight - whether you have one card or 3 cards. It's not that significant and I suspect it will settle in and flatten out over the course of a few days. Overall, the case feels great IMO. BTW, if you're impatient and have a Nordstrom close by - check on-line for in-store availability. I know, it's probably the last place you'd look for an iPhone case - but many stores do stock them.

photo3-vi.jpg

photo2-vi.jpg

photo3-vi.jpg

photo4-vi.jpg

photo5-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

----------

Why are more people not talking about this? Is this not really as cool or secure as it looks, or is this just too ridiculously expensive to ever be a viable option? I don't know, but it sounds awesome to me!

Because this is essentially what Passbook will become, when NFC chips make it into the iPhone eventually. I suspect they have realized this and that the window for having a captive market is closing - fast.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
I really just don't like pouch cases. It looks cool, but as much as I use my phone, I think it would be a hassle.

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
Ok, got the Speck SmartFlex in today. Slightly different than the version for the 4, but I'll spare you the compare/contrast - as it really doesn't matter because we're talking about the 5!

I've got 3 cards in there and you'll see it's slightly bowed. That's due to the rubber 'hump' that is in there to hold the cards tight - whether you have one card or 3 cards. It's not that significant and I suspect it will settle in and flatten out over the course of a few days. Overall, the case feels great IMO. BTW, if you're impatient and have a Nordstrom close by - check on-line for in-store availability. I know, it's probably the last place you'd look for an iPhone case - but many stores do stock them.

----------

Because this is essentially what Passbook will become, when NFC chips make it into the iPhone eventually. I suspect they have realized this and that the window for having a captive market is closing - fast.

I agree about the future of Passbook. Too bad my new iPhone 5 will be obsolete immediately after NFC makes its way to the iPhone 6....Ahhh, the price of being addicted to Apple products.

Meanwhile, that Speck case looks great! Two questions: (1) Any room for cash? And (2), is it easy to remove a card from there, or do you have to kind of jimmy them in and out, all three at a time?

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
Agreed. I loved that case for my iPhone 4. Can't wait for it to come out for the 5. Meanwhile, I bought the Speck SmartFlex.

i have been bugging them EVERY week since the announcement of the iphone 5, they keep trying to pawn the pop! id case off on me. F that one.

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
I actually just ended up ordering this one from eBay. It is nearly identical to the Case Mate ID. Only $8. I'll post some pictures when I get it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140858323712#ht_823wt_1413

see im worried about that one, its no where as thin as the case-mate. but please do and compare to the 4S casemate if you have one. im also worried about scratching of the back plate.. the 4S was glass so it just slid across, this being the new back it might be concerning.

ndprunner22

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2008
see im worried about that one, its no where as thin as the case-mate. but please do and compare to the 4S casemate if you have one. im also worried about scratching of the back plate.. the 4S was glass so it just slid across, this being the new back it might be concerning.

agreed. Will do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.