Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
I am not responsible for any damage done to your S3. But if you follow the instruction then you have nothing to worry about. There may be other guides out there but this is what I used and it works perfectly.

First, you do need Windows. I used Windows 7 via virtual machine and at least 75% charge on the phones battery. (to be safe)

Download these three files to your phone. NOT the SD card.

Rooting package
CyanogenMod Rom nightly build
Google Apps Package

~ Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.

~ You need USB device drivers for the AT&T Galaxy S3 installed on your computer. You can use Samsung Kies to obtain the drivers or via Samsung’s support page.

~ Enable USB Debugging on your phone. You can do this by head to Settings > Developer’s options > USB Debugging. Make sure that there is a check mark beside that option.

~ Temporarily disable Samsung Kies, antivirus, and firewall software as they may disrupt Odin during the installation process.

~ Download the following files and save it to your Windows OS:

Odin3 v3.04 (Odin3-v3.04.zip, 457 Kb)
ClockworkMod Recovery (clockworkmod.TAR, 6.8 MB)

~ Extract the Odin3-v.304.zip file using any extracting software such as 7-Zip or WinZip. Place the contents inside a single folder.
Launch the Odin3 v3.04 application by double-clicking Odin3 V3.04.exe.
Switch off your phone.

~ Boot into Download Mode. You can do this by pressing and holding down the Volume Down key, Home, and Power buttons until you reach a “Warning!!!” message displayed on your screen. Press the Volume Up button to enter Download Mode.

~ Connect your phone to your computer via USB cable. Your computer will automatically install the necessary drivers. If the installation was successful, you will see an “Added!!” message in Odin’s message box on the bottom left.
~ In Odin, select the PDA button, then browse for the clockworkmod.TAR file.
~ Important! Uncheck “Auto Reboot” leave “F. Rest Time” checked. Do not touch any other option except the ones mentioned in this guide. Doing so might brick your device. You need to Disable auto reboot because of the new OTA updates. If you leave auto reboot on when the phone reboots it will overwrite clockwork.

~ Once the necessary file is in place, click the START button in Odin to begin flashing the ClockworkMod Recovery on your phone.

(In case you get a FAIL message, disconnect your phone, close the Odin application, remove then reinsert your phone’s battery, and start over from step 5.)

~ Once the process is complete unplug the USB cable and pull the battery on the phone. Reinstall battery and boot into upload mode by holding the power + home + volume up button. Use the Volume buttons to navigate and the Home button to confirm an option.
~ Select Install ZIP From SD Card.
~Select Choose ZIP From SD Card, then browse for the ~CWM_SuperUser_3.0.7.zip file and select it. Confirm the installation by selecting Yes on the screen that follows.
~After the installation is complete, head back to the main recovery menu.
Select Reboot System Now to reboot your phone.

Once your phone boots up, you need to install the BusyBox binaries. Download the BusyBox app free from the Google Play Store and install it on your phone.
Run the BusyBox application on your phone.
When asked for root access, tap the Allow button.
Select the red “X” to close the dialog window that will pop out.
BusyBox will then scan your phone.
Select Install to begin installing BusyBox and make the necessary file changes on your phone. After the installation is finish, exit the BusyBox application.

~ This is very important! You need to download and install Rom Manager from the Play Store. Flash the newest version of ClockwordMod Recovery from this application. Then select reboot into recovery or shut down and do it manually as shown above.

~ Create a NANDroid backup to backup your current ROM. In case there is something that doesn’t work out with this ROM, you can always revert to your old ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore and on the next screen, select Backup again. Head back to the main recovery menu once backup is complete.
~ Select Wipe data/factory reset. Select Yes on the next screen to confirm data wipe.
~ Select Install ZIP from SD card, then select Choose ZIP from SD card.
~ Browse for the downloaded CM10 ROM file and select it. Confirm the installation by selecting Yes on the next screen. It may take a couple of minutes for the ROM to finish installing.
~ Repeat step 6, but this time around select the gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip to install the necessary Google Application package.
~ Head back to the main menu by selecting Go back and reboot your phone by selecting Reboot system now.

You are all done. Enjoy Jelly Bean. :D

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    416.8 KB · Views: 179
  • Screenshot2.png
    Screenshot2.png
    473 KB · Views: 115
  • Screenshot3.png
    Screenshot3.png
    235.6 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Another quick note. CyanogenMod also makes roms for Tmobile, Sprint, and Verizon. Download YOUR EXACT ROM from the link below. Everything else in the guide is the same just use the RIGHT ROM!!!!

CyanogenMod

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Nice step by step instructions. :)

I've installed several ROMs on my GS3(AT&T) but did it slightly different. I don't have Busybox installed. Is it really needed? I haven't seemed to run into any trouble without it.

Anyways I restored back to stock for now as I was only play around and testing ROMs. I haven't tried a CyanogenMod ROM yet. I'll probably give it a try tonight.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Nice step by step instructions. :)

I've installed several ROMs on my GS3(AT&T) but did it slightly different. I don't have Busybox installed. Is it really needed? I haven't seemed to run into any trouble without it.

Anyways I restored back to stock for now as I was only play around and testing ROMs. I haven't tried a CyanogenMod ROM yet. I'll probably give it a try tonight.

Good question. I do not know for sure I just follow instructions... :D You may not need it.

"BusyBox is a software application that provides many standard Unix tools, much like the larger (but more capable) GNU Core Utilities. BusyBox is designed to be a small executable for use with the Linux kernel, which makes it ideal for use with embedded devices. It has been self-dubbed "The Swiss Army Knife of Embedded Linux"."

Honestly, I think it is a tool for those who are much more familiar with Linux and a certain amount of programming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWLcD6Z0ltw

Last edited:

iphonefan74

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Are you able to fast boot back to get the official update when its released?

No, you dont NEED Busybox for most custom ROMs

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I get the gingerbread man dancing after the CyanogenMod ROM install. Something is not right cause it installs too fast compared to the other ROMs I've installed. I also gave it time incase something was installing in the background, but after 30min the gingerbread man kept dancing. I restored then installed busybox and tried again. Still no dice. Tried another ROM and it installed perfectly. I might try the second link on the CyanogenMod link instead.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Are you able to fast boot back to get the official update when its released?

No, you dont NEED Busybox for most custom ROMs

Yes, you can restore stock rom via clockworkmod. That is, if you backed it up. I am not a rooting expert.

Last edited:

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Yes, you can restore stock rom via clockworkmod. Not sure what you mean exactly by fast boot. I am not a rooting expert though I have been jailbreaking for years.

Jailbreaking has become a matter of one click. Rooting/flashing/tweaking Android phones is much more complicated in my opinion but I enjoy it (I'm no expert either though).

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Jailbreaking has become a matter of one click. Rooting/flashing/tweaking Android phones is much more complicated in my opinion but I enjoy it (I'm no expert either though).

I remember the first jailbreaks on the original iPhone were much more complicated. Tethering on the edge network... :D Even video recording on the 3G before it could officially do it. Good times... lol

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Rooting is really the only part that's more difficult. Once you root and have Clockwork installed, it's all about downloading and installing from Clockwork.

You can also install from Odin if you find a ROM in tar format.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I remember the first jailbreaks on the original iPhone were much more complicated. Tethering on the edge network... :D Even video recording on the 3G before it could officially do it. Good times... lol

I've actually only jailbroken my 4S so I haven't had the pleasure of experience jailbreaking when it first started :p

Rooting is really the only part that's more difficult. Once you root and have Clockwork installed, it's all about downloading and installing from Clockwork.

You can also install from Odin if you find a ROM in tar format.

I guess you're right. It's just that you can actually screw more things up with Android and there are just so many options when it comes to ROMs/radios/kernels etc. I also managed to screw up the wifi on my S3 by trying a Samsung JB leak then going back to an AOSP ROM. I ended up figuring it out and turns out it's a much more common issue than I thought but I remember that day being hell for me since I'm fairly new to all this.

I've stuck to CWM for flashing ROMs. I have no idea what the difference is but I've never tried Odin or the mobile version. Thankfully I haven't had to use it since all of the ROMs I've tried come in zip format.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I've actually only jailbroken my 4S so I haven't had the pleasure of experience jailbreaking when it first started :p

I guess you're right. It's just that you can actually screw more things up with Android and there are just so many options when it comes to ROMs/radios/kernels etc. I also managed to screw up the wifi on my S3 by trying a Samsung JB leak then going back to an AOSP ROM. I ended up figuring it out and turns out it's a much more common issue than I thought but I remember that day being hell for me since I'm fairly new to all this.

I've stuck to CWM for flashing ROMs. I have no idea what the difference is but I've never tried Odin or the mobile version. Thankfully I haven't had to use it since all of the ROMs I've tried come in zip format.

That's true, but you'll really only need custom kernels to do things that even a Jailbroken iPhone can't.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I'm more scared to mess with radios than anything else. Used to do that back in the Windows Mobile days and sometimes it was a headache to fix any mistakes. I haven't messed with any radios on Android.

Stropaganda

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
Is it possible to make this a sticky?

I feel like this forum should have a rooting/flashing guide (not just for the S3) and a recommended apps guide.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Is it possible to make this a sticky?

I feel like this forum should have a rooting/flashing guide (not just for the S3) and a recommended apps guide.

You'll get all the info you need from xda. Just Google xda galaxy s3 att forums. I'm not on my phone right now or else I'd post a link.

I'm not opposed to this being a sticky but I just don't see it happening. Why would they make a sticky for this specific phone.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
You'll get all the info you need from xda. Just Google xda galaxy s3 att forums. I'm not on my phone right now or else I'd post a link.

I'm not opposed to this being a sticky but I just don't see it happening. Why would they make a sticky for this specific phone.

Since this is an Apple website, we are probably lucky to get even the iPhone alternative sub-forum let alone a rooting and rom section. XDA is great but it their knowledge level is way above the average person and their willingness to help newcomers is lacking.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Since this is an Apple website, we are probably lucky to get even the iPhone alternative sub-forum let alone a rooting and rom section. XDA is great but it their knowledge level is way above the average person and their willingness to help newcomers is lacking.

Yeah I totally agree about how they are there.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Installing Google Now on ICS

Here is another quick guide. It is really easy to install Google Now on your ICS S3. Just follow the instruction to root your phone. Download the Google Now file here
and install it via ClockworkMod Recovery. Then you will have Google Now on your stock ICS. :D

Last edited:

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
This will void warranty right? There's a counter in the system if you flash the ROM.

navajarunner

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2009
So is it safe to say that if I just wanted to root and keep the 'stock ICS' I would stop after installing CWM_SuperUser_3.0.7.zip?

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
So is it safe to say that if I just wanted to root and keep the 'stock ICS' I would stop after installing CWM_SuperUser_3.0.7.zip?

Correct. But you still need to update ClockworkMod Recovery to flash anything. Such as Google Now.

----------

This will void warranty right? There's a counter in the system if you flash the ROM.

No, you can download a program off of Play Store called Triange Away that will reset your flash counter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.