Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jfulcher

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Could Always use google Voice as a home number and tell people to only call you on that number during the times your most likely to be at home that way you have voice over data.

Google voice doesn't use data for voice calls on the iPhone.

Blinny83

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2011
Been using the 4g hotspot for a few days now. Already cancelled my cable Internet. Saves me $60 a month!

EricJD

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
Is Hotspot included in their very expensive & limited new shared data plan without my iPad being added to that plan (it can't be since it is wi-fi only)?

I'm not sure what you mean by "without my iPad being added", but yes, all their shared data plans include mobile hotspot for free.

apierrec

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
I'm not sure what you mean by "without my iPad being added", but yes, all their shared data plans include mobile hotspot for free.

Thanks. Nevermind, lol, was thinking they are restricting access to it for devices under that shared plan / account. I guess, any devices with wi-fi capability can.

Praxis91

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
I hope a regular jb comes quick.. I refuse to give up my unlimited plan and love that about my S3 (and previously thunderbolt).. but I will consider trading in for an IP5 if I can get my free hotspot. :D

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
So i am wanting a hotspot for my laptop and ipad on the go, so I went into my account on my verizon looked at the 4G hotspot addon and there is only 1 option that says for $30 and says requires unlimited data plan. I am grandfathered unlimited data for phone use and bought iPhone 5 full retail.

Is this true? Can I get unlimited data for the hotspot for $30 a month?

Yes, I have it.

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
But, here's a question...on the iPad 4G LTE, Personal Hotspot is enabled at no additional cost. So why is the hotspot on the iPhone 5 different than the (new) iPad? Doesn't make sense.

Mobile Hot Spot Support For The New iPad.
Verizon is the only carrier in the U.S. that allows the new iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular to act as a personal mobile hotspot. This means you can share your Verizon 4G LTE network with up to 5 Wi-Fi enabled devices (such as a computer, gaming device or camera). And the best part? This personal hotspot is available at no extra charge and simply uses your data allowance.

Last edited:

niteriderxp

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
Seattle, WA
But, here's a question...on the iPad 4G LTE, Personal Hotspot is enabled at no additional cost. So why is the hotspot on the iPhone 5 different than the (new) iPad? Doesn't make sense.

iPad was meant to be used with prepaid limited data plans.
Hence the carrier bundle ipcc/carrier.plist does not differentiate tethering data.

You can actually stick in the iPhone 5 SIM with a micro SIM adapter and hotspot will work on the iPad.
In fact, you can probably get a Verizon Jetpack and use it with your iPhone 5 SIM.
I don't think they really care as swapping SIMs between devices is a PITA.

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
iPad was meant to be used with prepaid limited data plans.
Hence the carrier bundle ipcc/carrier.plist does not differentiate tethering data.

You can actually stick in the iPhone 5 SIM with a micro SIM adapter and hotspot will work on the iPad.
In fact, you can probably get a Verizon Jetpack and use it with your iPhone 5 SIM.
I don't think they really care as swapping SIMs between devices is a PITA.

Well, if it's a matter of ipcc/carrier.plist, can that be loaded to the iPhone5?

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA
I have the $30 per month hotspot feature on my unlimited data plan. It works great with my laptop, and even with my wife's iPhone 4...

To those saying "just jailbreak," the Verizon deal with the FCC is actually particular about that: If you purchase the approved $30 option, they are legally bound by their settlement agreement to not throttle you. Doesn't matter if you use 100GB a month. But there is a loophole for "abusers" of their service. If you tether without that option, they CAN legally throttle your data.

Just putting that out there...

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I have the $30 per month hotspot feature on my unlimited data plan. It works great with my laptop, and even with my wife's iPhone 4...

To those saying "just jailbreak," the Verizon deal with the FCC is actually particular about that: If you purchase the approved $30 option, they are legally bound by their settlement agreement to not throttle you. Doesn't matter if you use 100GB a month. But there is a loophole for "abusers" of their service. If you tether without that option, they CAN legally throttle your data.

Just putting that out there...

And they can legally end your plan. Right now I use FoxFi on my android phone, but when I get my iphone 5, will probably add the feature. One thing for sure, hotspot is a battery hog on any device.

niteriderxp

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
Seattle, WA
Well, if it's a matter of ipcc/carrier.plist, can that be loaded to the iPhone5?

If it's jailbroken, you can turn off signature checking and modify the files.
That's what TetherMe does to enable native tethering.

You cannot just copy the ipcc from the iPad to the iPhone even though its signed.
You'll break your phone's carrier config.

In terms of throttling, I think they can do that whether you buy hotspot or not.
Nothing in the FCC settlement that I read talked about throttling.

ibcdrew

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
west-central Wisconsin
So my Verizon iPhone 5 came with the Mobile Hotspot feature all ready to use out of the box without calling in to activate it or anything. Does this mean I can use it now without getting charged for it? Cuz my wife's phone and my previous iPhone both came with that feature locked and we had to call in to activate it.

I have no idea how or if this could even work, but my previous iPhone 4 was JB and I had TetherMe installed. When I got the iPhone 5 I restored from my last backup. So my other question is, could that setting from TetheMe have somehow survived, even though the JB was obviously wiped out? I'm very curious about this as I have a grandfathered unlimited plan and would Love to get rid of home Internet and use LTE speeds all the time!

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
So my Verizon iPhone 5 came with the Mobile Hotspot feature all ready to use out of the box without calling in to activate it or anything. Does this mean I can use it now without getting charged for it? Cuz my wife's phone and my previous iPhone both came with that feature locked and we had to call in to activate it.

I have no idea how or if this could even work, but my previous iPhone 4 was JB and I had TetherMe installed. When I got the iPhone 5 I restored from my last backup. So my other question is, could that setting from TetheMe have somehow survived, even though the JB was obviously wiped out? I'm very curious about this as I have a grandfathered unlimited plan and would Love to get rid of home Internet and use LTE speeds all the time!

I restored from my iPhone 4 which was jailbroken also with TetherMe installed. As soon as I tried to turn on the hotspot, it got disabled.

Last edited:

bwhitta

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan on Verizon, but the only hotspot feature I see in MyVerizon is a $20/month 2gb plan. What gives?

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
If it's jailbroken, you can turn off signature checking and modify the files.
That's what TetherMe does to enable native tethering.

You cannot just copy the ipcc from the iPad to the iPhone even though its signed.
You'll break your phone's carrier config.

In terms of throttling, I think they can do that whether you buy hotspot or not.
Nothing in the FCC settlement that I read talked about throttling.

Lol they can still detect it using tether me... AT&T busted me. Never used it on my verizon unlimited, but regardless if AT&T caught me using tether me verizon can too.. Not saying they will, but they certainly can

----------

I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan on Verizon, but the only hotspot feature I see in MyVerizon is a $20/month 2gb plan. What gives?

Weird? You sure you have unlimited and didn't loose it on your upgrade/activation of ip5

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Just so you know. "Unlimited" for the hotspot means 5gb. ;)

No, that is not true for the 4G Hotspot that we are discussing here. Like the phone's data plan itself, this hotspot is truly unlimited. However, those of you who are using the hotspot to replace your home Internet are just going to ruin it for everybody... because Verizon can (and most likely will) do away with the grandfathered unlimited plans altogether. Those of us hoping to keep it by buying phones at full retail for the foreseeable future would appreciate it if you didn't use multiples of GB of data than draws so much attention to Verizon that they have no choice but to end it. This is especially true now that the iPhone is on their LTE network and will definitely be putting some strain on their new network.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Just so you know. "Unlimited" for the hotspot means 5gb. ;)

No it doesn't... What are you talking about... One guy on here said he used something insanely huge. 72gb last month or close to that last month.

----------

No, that is not true for the 4G Hotspot that we are discussing here. Like the phone's data plan itself, this hotspot is truly unlimited. However, those of you who are using the hotspot to replace your home Internet are just going to ruin it for everybody... because Verizon can (and most likely will) do away with the grandfathered unlimited plans altogether. Those of us hoping to keep it by buying phones at full retail for the foreseeable future would appreciate it if you didn't use multiples of GB of data than draws so much attention to Verizon that they have no choice but to end it. This is especially true now that the iPhone is on their LTE network and will definitely be putting some strain on their new network.
Amen
I know man, one guy said he used 72 gb or something ridiculous tethering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.