Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
The PSP had a Value Pack version at launch.

I bought the Value Pack version on day it came out in the US (I got it at WalMart I think).

The headphones were decent - and the remote worked well. The headphones in the Vita Accessory Pack are the worst headphones ever made - they feel like dollar store quality.

Huh, I did not know that. Yeah, if that's the case, I'm really surprised there's no bundle outside of the launch bundles that GS, Amazon, and Best Buy did. That's how I got my 3G model.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I'm waiting for the inevitable redesign. The current version has awkwardly tiny buttons and an equally tiny d-pad. The PSP feels far more comfortable to actually play.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
need some assistance...

My son recently got a Vita. We have a PS3 in the house as well-

His birthday is coming up, and he asked for some games for the Vita (Katamari, Uncharted).

Question to you seasoned folks; what is the best way for me to buy these?

Gift card (PS) so he can download
Actual game from store
Can he DL from the PS3, and then play as well on the Vita? (or get a discount for the Vita if owned from the PS3 store?)

I thought this new Sony universe way cross compatible- but I am confused on the best way to purchase these games.

Advice appreciated.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Depends how big his Vita memory card is to an extent. If you've got a 16GB or bigger, then I'd probably download them for convenience as it means no switching of game cards.

However, physical retail purchase is generally cheaper, so check with your retailer of choice if that is a concern.

Yes, you can purchase Vita games via the PS3 store and then copy them to the Vita for play. However, it doesn't mean you can purchase the PS3 version and then recieve a free/cheap copy of the Vita game (if there even is one) - there is a separate section of the store purely for Vita games.

Or, just purchase direct on the Vita.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Depends how big his Vita memory card is to an extent. If you've got a 16GB or bigger, then I'd probably download them for convenience as it means no switching of game cards.

However, physical retail purchase is generally cheaper, so check with your retailer of choice if that is a concern.

Yes, you can purchase Vita games via the PS3 store and then copy them to the Vita for play. However, it doesn't mean you can purchase the PS3 version and then recieve a free/cheap copy of the Vita game (if there even is one) - there is a separate section of the store purely for Vita games.

Or, just purchase direct on the Vita.

Thanks for the help.

So I understand this, a retail box is Cheaper than a digital download (are you kidding me?:eek:- makes so much sense /s).

He has a 32GB SD card, so I know he has space. I believe he only has Metal gear full version with multiple versions HD edition I think- no idea.

What happens when someday, that card fills up?

Is this as confusing as I am making it? What is the reason for so many different options of purchase

Lastly- what is the sole benefit of having the PS3 and Vita? Are they not supposed to Play together?

Thanks- sorry for my ignorance in this field.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Retail is often cheaper than digital because of discounts given by retailers that can be very aggressive. It isn't really that many ways of purchasing - digital or physical.

If the 32GB card is full, simply delete games he doesn't play any more. You can re-download in the future if needed as each account keeps track of purchases.

As for why a Vita? It has games you can't get on any other system (the Uncharted game is not a port of Uncharted from the PS3, but a whole new story), and is obviously portable. There are some games that support cross-play over the internet (Wipeout 2048 is one), so Vita players can play against PS3 players.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Retail is often cheaper than digital because of discounts given by retailers that can be very aggressive. It isn't really that many ways of purchasing - digital or physical.

If the 32GB card is full, simply delete games he doesn't play any more. You can re-download in the future if needed as each account keeps track of purchases.

As for why a Vita? It has games you can't get on any other system (the Uncharted game is not a port of Uncharted from the PS3, but a whole new story), and is obviously portable. There are some games that support cross-play over the internet (Wipeout 2048 is one), so Vita players can play against PS3 players.

Got it, did not know he could delete and re-download. Thanks for this detailed info.

Last Q.
Is there a live link to show what games Like Wipeout are cross-play. Is there such a list that is updated? Cannot locate on the PS site.

Thanks again peskaa- much appreciated.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=3823

There doesn't seem to be a list of all cross-play titles, but physical games will have a Cross-Play logo on the back of the box. Beyond that, it's a case of Googling the individual games to find out. Not ideal, I know :(

Just as a heads up. Sony's changed what "Cross-Play" is. Now it's being used for their initiative where when you buy a PS3 game, you'll get the Vita game free. So far they've announced; Sony Battle Royale, Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault, and Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, as the beginning of the new initiative, as well as Hideo Kojima has expressed interest in using this new cross-play with MGS: Ground Zeroes.

As to the old Cross-Play idea, it looks like Little Big Planet Karting will have PS3 v Vita options.

Also, more PS3 games are going to have a "Transfarance" (Thank you Kojima for that unwieldy word) option as well, where you'll be able to take your PS3 game, move it to your Vita to keep playing.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Just as a heads up. Sony's changed what "Cross-Play" is. Now it's being used for their initiative where when you buy a PS3 game, you'll get the Vita game free. So far they've announced; Sony Battle Royale, Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault, and Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, as the beginning of the new initiative, as well as Hideo Kojima has expressed interest in using this new cross-play with MGS: Ground Zeroes.

As to the old Cross-Play idea, it looks like Little Big Planet Karting will have PS3 v Vita options.

Also, more PS3 games are going to have a "Transfarance" (Thank you Kojima for that unwieldy word) option as well, where you'll be able to take your PS3 game, move it to your Vita to keep playing.

Ahhh... this is what i was looking for.
So Should I just get him a gift card, and let him DL games from PS3 (above) and he will get it on Vita for free?
Is this active?
If not, when.

thx

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
So Should I just get him a gift card, and let him DL games from PS3 (above) and he will get it on Vita for free?
Is this active?
If not, when.

thx

Yeah, that'll be a safe bet. It's sounding like the Cross Buy system will be, you buy the physical PS3 game and there will be a code to download the Vita version.

Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale will be the first game offering this option.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Is this active?
If not, when.

thx

It won't ever be active on the two titles you mentioned, Uncharted and Katamari, only new games, and even then not all of them.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Note to self- go read a book on how Sony runs there video business and how to spend wisely.

I don't think you have any problems understanding...I think Sony makes really dumb business decisions, and half the time winds up screwing their customers.

I would like them to succeed better, as I would like to have a potent competitor to M$.

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
My son recently got a Vita...
I buy physical games for my vita - I only have an 8 gb memory card, though.

I'm kind of stuck on having the physical box for games. And as others have mentioned, it's easier to get deals and discounts on the physical games than the digital copies.

For a kid (depending on the age) - I would be more inclined to purchase digital copies simply as they are not going to get lost around the house. I know my kids lost quite a few DS cards around the house.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I buy physical games for my vita - I only have an 8 gb memory card, though.

I'm kind of stuck on having the physical box for games. And as others have mentioned, it's easier to get deals and discounts on the physical games than the digital copies.

For a kid (depending on the age) - I would be more inclined to purchase digital copies simply as they are not going to get lost around the house. I know my kids lost quite a few DS cards around the house.

I'd be willing to buy all my Vita games digitally, but its still cheaper for me to buy the physical edition. Then factor in trade in potential at later date reducing the cost furthermore.

Little Big Planet costs €39.99 in stores and €34.99 on PSN = good. But retailers online and at some stores already offer discounts, do I ended up getting a physical copy for €32.85. and can guarantee at least €10-15 trade in value meaning its net cost is reduced (once I traded it back in) to €18.25-20.22.25...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I don't think you have any problems understanding...I think Sony makes really dumb business decisions, and half the time winds up screwing their customers.

I would like them to succeed better, as I would like to have a potent competitor to M$.

If you buy games from the store it states which ones work on other systems (Cross Buy). The games tigres listed are only available for Vita.
Is that what you meant by Sony making dumb business decisions?

They're already a competitor. In the US the Xbox has the edge on the PS3, but for the rest of the world they're either on par or behind (Europe & Asia).

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
Just a heads up for those of you who are thinking about buying FIFA 13 on the Vita, DON'T. There is no change from the previous FIFA title on the Vita, just updated kits as far as I can work out. Extremely disappointed.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Just a heads up for those of you who are thinking about buying FIFA 13 on the Vita, DON'T. There is no change from the previous FIFA title on the Vita, just updated kits as far as I can work out. Extremely disappointed.

That's terrible :eek:

Making it a VERY EXPENSIVE ADD-ON PACK..... Should have been a €10 DLC upgrade if that's the case...

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
I'm back with more Q's...

OK folks (the Vita pros herein);)

All righty.
My son got the vita, and this weekend they got me one (the assassins creed bundle)- I don't know if I am keeping it- here's why...

It came with a 4GB stick, so I have to buy another. OK, no biggie until I realize-

All of the games (PS store $) I gave my son to download, are on his 32GB card. I am now learning there are no "family" purchase options. So these games he was going to let me download, cannot be on mine. Or, I have to restore the system, log in as him, download the games, and never log in again as me.

WTF? Is this accurate. I just gave hime $70 in game downloads (off a ps card) that are on lockdown to his personal vita only?

What a hole a mile wide.

Looking for suggestions, work arounds, or any assistance.

Thanks Guys!

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
OK folks (the Vita pros herein);)

All of the games (PS store $) I gave my son to download, are on his 32GB card. I am now learning there are no "family" purchase options. So these games he was going to let me download, cannot be on mine. Or, I have to restore the system, log in as him, download the games, and never log in again as me.

WTF? Is this accurate. I just gave hime $70 in game downloads (off a ps card) that are on lockdown to his personal vita only?

What a hole a mile wide.

Looking for suggestions, work arounds, or any assistance.

Thanks Guys!

Welcome to the new state of gaming (and entertainment).

MS and Sony are rumored that their next-gen consoles games will be tied to the account and the console, unplayable anywhere else and NO ability for resale/buying used.

At least for now, Nintendo hasn't implemented it. If Nintendo plays its cards right and comes out with some pretty nice games with the touchscreen contoller as a great compliment, and Sony and MS implement DRM on all games (including discs), people will start grabbing the Wii U as their next-gen purchase.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yup, games are tied to the account. You used to be able to use up to 5 Sony devices, now they've limited that to 2 PS3 and 2 Handheld. Total kick in the teeth I think. I'd love to get a PSP Go (they're uber cheap now) and use it specifically for my PS1 games. But I also have a PSP 3000 and PS Vita.

It's annoying but that's how it is now. To see how the others compare-

Nintendo- no user accounts. Games tied to consoles. The worst setup.
Microsoft- Dunno! I've got some of my brothers XBLA downloads on mine (it's his old console) that play just fine even though his account was wiped from the console.
Apple- 5 limits, I believe?
Steam- Totally unlimited but you need to be logged in.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I know it's irrelevant to the Vita, but one nice thing about digital distribution for Sony; if I buy a digital game on my PS3, all users on any PS3 that has my account on it, have access to anything I buy.

My current girlfriend lives in Connecticut, when I visited in September, I created a sub account on her PS3 and downloaded my copy of Dragon Age Origins onto my account on her PS3, now she can access the game on her account on her PS3 (this also works with DLC, we've been alternating on buying Mass Effect 3 DLC, and this also gave her access to my loot chest bonus items for Borderlands 2).

There's been talk on Sony's side of allowing multiple accounts on the Vita.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.