Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
Anyone playing it? More specifically, anyone playing it that also played Diablo 3? I know it looks far more cartoony than Diablo 3, but was wondering how the actual game play was and how it compares.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
I'm waiting for the Mac version to come out. I played through most of Torchlight just recently.

blackbear219

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
It is pretty good. If you played Torchlight 1 then you pretty much know what to expect. There are stat points that are assignable (unlike D3) on top of actual skill trees as well.

There is no way to respec the stat points and you can only respec your last 3 skill points. This makes it much more necessary to plan out your build and makes it possible to gimp your character. Some people like that, some don't.

For $20 it is pretty much a no-brainer if you are an ARPG fan, in my opinion.

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
For $20 it is pretty much a no-brainer if you are an ARPG fan, in my opinion.

I hadn't even looked at the price yet, but yea, that does seem like a no-brainer! I'll have to pick it up tonight then figure out when to play it between Diablo 3 and Borderlands 2.

blackbear219

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
I hadn't even looked at the price yet, but yea, that does seem like a no-brainer! I'll have to pick it up tonight then figure out when to play it between Diablo 3 and Borderlands 2.

That's the same problem I have right now, plus Guild Wars 2 as well.

Also, I meant to mention the $20 includes all future DLC...making it even more of a no-brainer.

a.jfred

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Austin, TX
I'm not a huge gamer (sorry, never played any of the Diablo games; Left 4 Dead and L4D2, however ...), but I enjoyed the first Torchlight game (to the point I replayed it 3 times), so getting the 2nd was a no-brainer for me. I'm enjoying the heck out of it right now (courtesy of Parallels 7 ).

Warhawk15

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2012
I got it when it first came out, and installed Boot Camp the night before.
I've already beaten it twice and am on NG++(New Game) on my main embermage character on normal difficulty.

This game is amazing and I can't wait till its out on Mac so I don't have to use boot camp anymore.

I've also made an elite character with 5 other people online and that was a lot of fun too, definitely took a lot longer to kill minions, especially bosses.

I think the graphics are great personally, my room mate just bought Diablo 3 and has been playing that the same time I play Torchlight 2.
While the graphics do look better(darker and more detailed) I still think Torchlight 2 looks great and runs much smoother.

If anyone wants to add me, my ign is warhawk15.

blackbear219

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
I'll send you an invite. I am blackbear219 on there also. Also looking for good folks to play with.

labars

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2011
If you try Torchlight 2 you will never have to play Diablo III again. Torchlight 2 is just so much more fun, it's not even close. I uninstalled D3 as soon as I played the first hour or so in TL2.

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
If you try Torchlight 2 you will never have to play Diablo III again. Torchlight 2 is just so much more fun, it's not even close. I uninstalled D3 as soon as I played the first hour or so in TL2.

Purchased and downloading now. We shall see :)

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
This all sounds like great news for Torchlight 2 and those of us prohibitively disappointed by Diablo III's crazy internet requirements/pricing.

I didn't know future DLC was included in the already modest price. Fantastic.

I really liked Torchlight, guess it's time to start waiting for a native Mac port of TL2 . . . :p

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Anyone playing it? More specifically, anyone playing it that also played Diablo 3? I know it looks far more cartoony than Diablo 3, but was wondering how the actual game play was and how it compares.

Depends on what you're playing for.

Are you playing to "find expensive loot" and sell it on the Real Money Auction House? If so, then maybe you're not actually playing the game to have fun- you're playing the game to make money, in which case Diablo 3 is the better choice.

If you don't care about things like the RMAH, then Torchlight 2 offers a genuinely more fun experience. The gameplay and mechanics make you feel powerful, the loot is totally rewarding (it actually feels rewarding), and everything is all around fun. I've been playing it for over 30 hours- sometimes single player, sometimes online- and I've been constantly having a great time.

The time I spent in Diablo 3 was pretty much the opposite. What little enjoyment I got out of that game was immediately overshadowed by the rage it seemed to invoke in me. I'd constantly get battled down into a corner by unbeatable mobs with "******** prefixes", which made me want to punch my monitor. Blizzard's official response to this was to quit the game and rejoin it, a week later they implemented game creation limits so you couldn't do this since they wanted you to "fully enjoy the game you're in".

By the time I finished Diablo 3 the first time, I was bored. By the time I finished Diablo 3 the second time, I was wondering what the hell I was still doing playing this piece of trash. Third time, same thing. Forth time... Finally got to Inferno and decided it wasn't worth it, I was no longer playing the game to relax and enjoy myself but hunting for illusive loot to turn a quick profit on the RMAH. Diablo 3 turned into a job rather then a game, and that's when I quit.

Torchlight 2 is much, much more relaxed. Everything just kind of flows, people have fun, and the game never ever kills you "just because it can". There aren't any hard "gear checks" and while better gear will let you play the game easier, there's no reason why you couldn't take down the end boss with the first weapon you found.

For $20, you can't go wrong. Ruinic deserves your cash for an enjoyable experience. I wish more people made games like Torchlight 2 and less games like Diablo 3.

-SC

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
I red article about it today. mac version will require another two month to finish. so you have to wait that long. or why don't you buy PC version, run on boot camp?

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
@scottishcaptain, excellent post! Echoes what I've seen by users on MetaCritic and heard via word of mouth.

It doesn't look good for Blizzard at the moment. What with their disinterest in maintaining the classic masterpieces that defined them, to the direction they are taking their franchises now . . .

(slowly bows head and places hat over heart) . . . :(

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
I started playing it last night and was a bit startled how quickly 2 hours went by. It's almost overwhelming just how much loot drops and trying to compare stats on things to decide what's better. The zones seem nice and big - didn't really want to quit before clearing the zone I was in, but I had to go to bed. Used a portal to get back to town before quitting, though I have no idea what would have happened had I just quit in the middle of nowhere.

I don't like the AH at all in Diablo, so I don't miss it. All in all, I think this game is pretty nice and will consume many hours. Now I just need to decide if I want to keep playing an outlander or try one of the other classes (like engineer).

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
I'm waiting for the Mac version to come out. I played through most of Torchlight just recently.

Same here. The first one ported to Mac shortly after release. Hopefully it will be just as fast this time around.

In the meantime GW2 just released a beta Mac client that is fantastic and I was able to finally remove my bootcamp partition once and for all. :)

a.jfred

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Austin, TX
I started playing it last night and was a bit startled how quickly 2 hours went by. It's almost overwhelming just how much loot drops and trying to compare stats on things to decide what's better. The zones seem nice and big - didn't really want to quit before clearing the zone I was in, but I had to go to bed. Used a portal to get back to town before quitting, though I have no idea what would have happened had I just quit in the middle of nowhere.

I don't like the AH at all in Diablo, so I don't miss it. All in all, I think this game is pretty nice and will consume many hours. Now I just need to decide if I want to keep playing an outlander or try one of the other classes (like engineer).

If you'd quit the game "in the middle of nowhere" you'd start up again where you left off. That's one of the beauties of Torchlight. I have found a couple of bugs where an area I had completely explored (evident by how it shows up on the map) disappered, and I had to re-explore it for it to show up, but that's minor (and yes, I'm OCD enough I go through every nook & cranny I can find).

I pre-ordered the game, downloaded it 9/20 when it came out, and have already put about 12 hours into the single-player game. It does go quick, and I'm having a blast with it. I haven't tried multi-player (yet). I want to enjoy some hack & slash (or, in the case of my Outlander, some shoot'em up) for now :D

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
If you'd quit the game "in the middle of nowhere" you'd start up again where you left off. That's one of the beauties of Torchlight. I have found a couple of bugs where an area I had completely explored (evident by how it shows up on the map) disappered, and I had to re-explore it for it to show up, but that's minor (and yes, I'm OCD enough I go through every nook & cranny I can find).

That's good to know about quitting in the middle of nowhere! I'm OCD like that too - I always have to explore every corner.

jarib

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
I'm not a huge gamer (sorry, never played any of the Diablo games; Left 4 Dead and L4D2, however ...), but I enjoyed the first Torchlight game (to the point I replayed it 3 times), so getting the 2nd was a no-brainer for me. I'm enjoying the heck out of it right now (courtesy of Parallels 7 ).

hey, i installed parallels 7, installed steam and downloaded torchlight 2, but for some reason it didnt work. used windows XP. did you have to do anything extra to get it to work? really need help.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
If you'd quit the game "in the middle of nowhere" you'd start up again where you left off.

This.

Diablo 3 is a very scummy game in that they want you to keep playing, irregardless of what your actual life dictates. For a casual gamer, this was one of the most annoying things I have ever experienced (next to the enrage timer of course). 5 stacks of NV? Tough ****, if you quit now you lose them all. 3/4th through the map, next room is a boss fight? Tough ****, if you quit now expect to spawn back at town.

Diablo 3 is horribly, horribly, horribly designed in this fashion. Everything about it is designed to keep you playing, because the RMAH depends on a constant player base.

The first time I quit Torchlight 2 (which took all of 5 seconds since there's no countdown timer), I figured for sure I'd lose my progress. 45 minutes later I was back in the game- clicked resume... Boom, right back where I was. Even the enemy locations and their HP was the same.

I don't want to be a parrot, but all Diablo 3 cares about is the RMAH. When the devs say that's not the case they're sprouting marketing propaganda because they were told to. Torchlight 2 doesn't suffer from the same affliction, so it's actually fun to play.

-SC

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I am planning to buy this when the Mac version releases. Glad to hear everyone is having such a good time with it.

a.jfred

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Austin, TX
hey, i installed parallels 7, installed steam and downloaded torchlight 2, but for some reason it didnt work. used windows XP. did you have to do anything extra to get it to work? really need help.

I'm not sure. I'm running Parallels 7 on Lion, and Windows 7 - it might be that. I didn't start using steam until a couple years ago, so I've had Win7 the whole time.

I have had the game crash on me a couple of times, and every so often, I get stuck in a loop where my Outlander keeps shooting and/or casting spells even though there's nothing to shoot at; at that point, I can hit 'escape' and 'resume' and it'll resolve itself, but last night I had to completely quit the game & restart. Fortunately, I didn't lose any data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.