Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

cook_ios_6_maps_letter.jpg
Apple CEO Tim Cook has published an open letter to customers on the company's website addressing the criticism over the new Apple-powered Maps app in iOS 6. In the letter, Cook apologizes for not meeting expectations and mentions a number of alternative mapping solutions customers may wish to use while Apple is refining its Maps.
To our customers,

At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.

We launched Maps initially with the first version of iOS. As time progressed, we wanted to provide our customers with even better Maps including features such as turn-by-turn directions, voice integration, Flyover and vector-based maps. In order to do this, we had to create a new version of Maps from the ground up.

There are already more than 100 million iOS devices using the new Apple Maps, with more and more joining us every day. In just over a week, iOS users with the new Maps have already searched for nearly half a billion locations. The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get and we greatly appreciate all of the feedback we have received from you.

While we're improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app.

Everything we do at Apple is aimed at making our products the best in the world. We know that you expect that from us, and we will keep working non-stop until Maps lives up to the same incredibly high standard.

Tim Cook
Apple's CEO
AppShopper also lists a list of both free and paid alternatives to Apple Maps.

Article Link: Tim Cook Publishes Open Letter on Maps for iOS 6

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Lets be real. Maps is "ok" now, but give it about 6 months and its going to be all you use. I personally use it a lot and have never had an issue with it.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
Where is the apology regarding the paint chipping off the back like it's a cheap, made-in-China toy.

...oh wait...

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Interesting now he recommended we use Microsoft's, Google's and Nokia's maps. They're in lawsuits with all of them right now.

THEAnonymous

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2008
Don't know how "sincere" this apology really is, especially consdering Apple knew about the poor Maps app when iOS6 beta was released and people were complaining up and down.

Apple is just trying to wipe off the tremendous amount of egg from their face when it comes to this issue...but I think it's going to take more than an apology to fix this.

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
No need to apologize to me, Tim.

I've said it on twitter and I'll say it again: I have had better experience with Apple's new Maps app on iOS 6 / iPhone 5 in the last week than any other time using a GPS prior.

I am new to turn-by-turn directions, late to the party - yes, but I put it to good use in Maps on iOS 6, driving through DC and into MD and it felt like magic. Truly.

Maps on iOS 6 is one of my favorite new features.

That's my experience.

bp

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I love Waze. :D

That being said, I think having over 100 Million users out of the box means this product will be improved quickly. More quickly than Siri since it's used more often.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
So he didn’t realise that Maps weren’t up to Apple’s high standards before releasing them?

Don't think you understand the situation. The maps were expiring in a year. Apple took the risk of releasing their maps a year before Google Maps expired because they would have a year of user based data to improve their maps. They did it so they could get the issues out of the way earlier than later. If they waited until next year when Google Maps expired, they would have had to add Apple Maps anyway. The Maps are fine the only thing not fine are the POI and incorrect data, the best way to improve that is user input.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Maps aren't even that bad, they're actually quite good in most cases. People need to calm down.

Sascha HH

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
Too much?

Isn't that self criticism a bit to harsh? I actually love using Apple maps as it works much faster on my 3GS and the results in Germany are at least up to Google maps...

mtrctyjoe

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2005
Motor City (Detroit, not Tokyo)
Whoa...

This does not even sound anything at all like what Apple would say .... I honestly do not believe what I have just read. This is very concerning ... very unApple like - and honestly - not something I would think even a bad PR Intern would draft up .... They should recognize this issues/concerns and advise customers they are hard at work - with some high level dot points on the key items they are working on ...

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Asking us to use other apps for the time being? It just doesn't seem right for a company like that to say such a thing.

Of course it's understandable to say that but with Apple being Apple, you want customers to not want to choose alternatives over what apple has made.

But now that I think about it, it's the same as Apples headphones. They are there to purchase and use along with the Apple products but they have other headphones from different companies to choose from also if you don't like Apple's headphones.

But it really shows that he knows that Apple Map sucks and is asking time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.