Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rish

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2006
London UK
Oh Tim, open letters are great but naming the competition is a no no mate. Old Stevie would have erred on the side of caution.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Interesting now he recommended we use Microsoft's, Google's and Nokia's maps. They're in lawsuits with all of them right now.

They have resolved most of their lawsuits with Microsoft and Nokia. If anything, they are more partners with Microsoft than enemies.

I think this is another sign of Apple's relative openness under Tim Cook. iOS 6 is the first to have a lower (albeit slightly) satisfaction rating than its predecessor, and it's mostly because of Maps.

As for the "recommendation," these companies all make web apps freely available.

identity

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2011
Don't think you understand the situation. The maps were expiring in a year. Apple took the risk of releasing their maps a year before Google Maps expired because they would have a year of user based data to improve their maps. They did it so they could get the issues out of the way earlier than later. If they waited until next year when Google Maps expired, they would have had to add Apple Maps anyway. The Maps are fine the only thing not fine are the POI and incorrect data, the best way to improve that is user input.

No, Apple released a beta Maps and claimed it to be a finished product, just like Siri was last year.

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
I've said it on twitter and I'll say it again: I have had better experience with Apple's new Maps app on iOS 6 / iPhone 5 in the last week than any other time using a GPS prior.

I am new to turn-by-turn directions, late to the party - yes, but I put it to good use in Maps on iOS 6, driving through DC and into MD and it felt like magic. Truly.

Maps on iOS 6 is one of my favorite new features.

That's my experience.

bp

I agree. I've been using it sense iOS6 beta 1. Love it. So much better than before. 3D is beautiful. Fly behind turn by turn is sweet. So far every POI I've searched for as been spot on except for 1. And so I opened google mobile maps and it gave me the same wrong location.

latestmonkey

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2002
I love Waze. :D

That being said, I think having over 100 Million users out of the box means this product will be improved quickly. More quickly than Siri since it's used more often.

I wonder if apple tracks the number of people who declined to use Siri out of the box. I certainly did.

Jarson

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2011
Glasgow
Cliffs notes: Our maps suck, use a competitor's product.
Nope. It is more something like "You ain't got a choice, eventually you can make a shortcut to Google Maps website while we finish our product, you suckers."

The worst thing I've realized after this letter is that they're probably not going to approve Google Maps app at all.

Reddmanz

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
Quote I've just seen on Twitter about this that I think sums it up pretty well.

"Mistakes happen. It’s how you deal with them that sets you apart"

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Directing customers to competitors? Then why even bother releasing Apple maps? Suck up the lack of turn by turn for another year and keep with Google for now. They should have offered Apple Maps as a public beta in iOS 6.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Bah I wouldn't have apologized. Maps has been fine for me. I bet more then half the people complaining are android users that haven't even used it.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Wow. Wasn't expecting so many idiotic replies in this thread. Looks like the human race is in the decline.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Jeeze, guys, I respect the man for actually posting this letter - something Steve Jobs would have never done. I've been a pretty harsh critic of Maps, and still will be after this letter, but I respect the man for admitting there's a problem.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
"There are already more than 100 million iOS devices using the new Apple Maps, with more and more joining us every day."

wrong! you mean there are 100 million devices "with" the defective maps, not using "using" them.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Interesting now he recommended we use Microsoft's, Google's and Nokia's maps. They're in lawsuits with all of them right now.

Well he knows apple maps suck. He also is not going to do stuff out of spit like the former leader. I could easily believe that Apple maps be pushed out on ios 6 was the former leaders reasoning and plans were to far in motion for Tim to change them

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
I've said it on twitter and I'll say it again: I have had better experience with Apple's new Maps app on iOS 6 / iPhone 5 in the last week than any other time using a GPS prior.

I am new to turn-by-turn directions, late to the party - yes, but I put it to good use in Maps on iOS 6, driving through DC and into MD and it felt like magic. Truly.

Maps on iOS 6 is one of my favorite new features.

That's my experience.

bp
I'm with you on this one. I used Google Maps *extensively" and I much prefer Apple Maps. It's cleaner, faster and it offers turn-by-turn navigation that has been spot on every time I've used it.

Last edited:

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
How about the "here's a button you can press to easily return to ios 5 while we resolve this debacle" solution.

antoniojg25

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
i actually used the map yesterday for the first time and i being having the iphone 5 since it came out and you know what it was freaking great i cannot complain. Tim Cook said the right thing by apologizing and we expect the best from apple give them time guys and don't be surprise that in 6 months or maybe less than that they could better than google guys . geez so many people complaints but they still use the phone right smh on some of you guys.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Bah I wouldn't have apologized. Maps has been fine for me. I bet more then half the people complaining are android users that haven't even used it.

I bet otherwise. Have you had a look at some of the screenshots that people have posted? According to iOS 6 Maps, my area is under one massive cloud.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Steve would have checked that all locations were perfect pixel by pixel and debugged each line of code. That's why there were never any problems with any apple products or software when he was around.

:rolleyes:

Actually, Steve would probably have told customers that they are looking at their maps wrong and then fired most of the maps team.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.