Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I respect the letter. Despite some obvious spin.

Such as: As time progressed, we wanted to provide our customers with even better Maps including features such as turn-by-turn directions, voice integration, Flyover and vector-based maps. In order to do this, we had to create a new version of Maps from the ground up.

No - they could have re-negotiated with Google. They chose not to. No harm/no foul - but that doesn't mean they HAD to. Err on omission of truth.

In just over a week, iOS users with the new Maps have already searched for nearly half a billion locations.

I wonder how many of those searches are legit vs people trying to show how bad Apple Maps is.

What makes you think it wasn't the truth? Do you have any evidence that Apple could have reasonably enabled features like Flyover and vector-based maps with Google maps?

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
I didn't realize Google Maps was so popular. I tried it a couple times when I needed navigation help and just didn't like it. I used MapQuest's app when I traveled last year and never looked back. Turn by turn directions ftw.

Brewsta

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2009
I respect the letter. Despite some obvious spin.

Such as: As time progressed, we wanted to provide our customers with even better Maps including features such as turn-by-turn directions, voice integration, Flyover and vector-based maps. In order to do this, we had to create a new version of Maps from the ground up.

No - they could have re-negotiated with Google. They chose not to. No harm/no foul - but that doesn't mean they HAD to. Err on omission of truth.

Obviously "had" is a loaded word. No one put a gun to Apple's collective head. However, to build out their platform instead of propping up their #1 competitor and to respect their customer's privacy, yes, they "had" to do this.

From Apple's perspective, negotiating with Google wasn't any real choice at all. I think the use of "had" is an honest reflection of how the braintrust at Apple felt as far as their choices went.

Remember, Apple didn't enter the search business. Google entered the mobile devices business.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I appreciate his honesty.

I'm one of the unlucky users who isn't having a great experience with Maps and it's reassuring to learn our complaints have reached the intended target and it's getting the attention it desperately needs.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Wow. Consumers really have become a spoilt and whiny bunch. Louise CK was right.

The man wrote an open-letter of apology AND suggested third party options. But STILL that isn't enough for some.

This is why you should rarely apologise for anything. It's something that's simply wasted on most people.

chrisd1974

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
London, UK
Worst part of the maps fiasco is reading the comments about transit stations and peoples general dumbness these days cause they need to wear dresses and have walking directions around their home town.

As spoiled as people have become and whiny as well, they should take everyone's toys away for a year so they can toughen up. I have driven through many states with no maps in my car at all, and I still can find my destinations. (stop at a station when I am getting close is all I needed)

O and the awesome "Apple Maps is going to kill people cause it doesn't show a body of water." Actually I may buy that since the full retard level has hit critical and smartphone users would keep driving thinking its just a big puddle.

For Tim: Hey look over there you got 120 billion lying around. The things you can get done with money to have things a little more tight for release is amazing.

Are you complaining about map users needing to use maps?

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
Apple's history has been littered with mistakes, bad marketing calls, wasted investment and poor products....

An under developed Map app is pretty minor in comparison.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
Though I appreciate the letter from Tim, I think people have overreacted on this issue, jut like any perceived issue that comes out of Cupertino.

Is Apple Maps perfect? ABSOLUTELY not! If people expected it to be, they are crazy. Tim had to say the bit about "Apple making the best products in the world and this isn't up to par," because he had to. Tim and all the engineers working on Maps (and all those that work at other companies in mapping) know that they need real-world usage of something like this in order for it to improve. A handful of people can't experience the whole experience (even as brilliant at they may be) as well as 100 million people using it and seeing real results.

It's probably for the best for Apple to approach this topic they way they chose to. But, boy, do I miss the days where they would have politely, yet decidedly, put the truth out there and tell folks how it really is.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I don't think Maps is that bad. I'm sure Google Maps wasn't as great as it is now in it's infant days.

And with more use and feedback, their database will grow and it'll get better.

( I'm just referencing your post for the Google Maps - how it used to be - this comes up a lot)

It doesn't matter how good or bad Google Maps were in its infant days, the fact is Apple have replaced Google Maps with something a lot worse, lacking functionality that users used to enjoy on iOS with Google Maps. The past has gone, today is what matters.

It says a lot when Apple ( or any other company ) are directing users to competing products, as per this letter!

Crowd sourcing will help out Apple, it will be good for traffic information ( if this is used in real time ). A few years down the line Apple Maps will be a great product, for sure. Apple aren't going to give up on this.. mapping and navigation has become an important piece of functionality for phones.

Last edited:

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
Looks like the dumb people are out of the Busj works not knowing that is not only a crowdsourcing problem

majority of it is. Lack of POI's and incorrect driving data are fixed a majority of the time with user input. Google said that themselves

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Maybe he should post an open letter to all of the people who got a damaged iPhone 5 outta the box!
Maps affect everybody. The number of people who got a nicked phone out of the box was probably quite small (or a certain batch of phones) and I'm sure something that can be easily fixed. You replace dmaged phones, fix the problem don't call attention to it. Maps isn't something they can easily fix. It will take a lot of time.

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
Yikes! You know things are bad when Tim Cook is recommending BING!

Actually, Bing is based on Nokia maps, and in my view is better than Google's maps.

I think Cook is merely saying, "Hey, if you think our Maps suck, we are working on fixing them, but there are other free app options like Bing, Mapquest and Waze. Those folks actually have free apps.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009
Because Google has not changed its technology?

Google maps data itself (other than street view) has not been any major improvements since 2008. their all very incremental on a yearly basis. Apple is probably going to be doing minor incremental updates every month for years to come.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I feel certain Steve Jobs would've never released a letter like this.

I'm sick of seeing people post "Steve wouldn't have done that" and "this would never have happened if Steve was still around". Just move on. He's dead. He's not around any more so there's no point keep mentioning him.

I quite like the 'new' Apple. Admitting your product is crap is good in my book. It means they are going to put a lot of resources into correcting it and making it better as soon as possible.

timotheezz

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
New Jersey
Outside of the USA, it's a joke.

Think a little more before you post. What works well for you doesn't necessarily work great for 100's of millions of other people.

Apparently, it's not that humorous in China where the new Maps is leaps and bounds better than the previous Google offering.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Ultimate respect to Tim for being so open and honest about the issues faced with Apple Maps.

Makes my respect for him as a business leader go up quite a few notches.
Very well played!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.