Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sagittaeri

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
Umm, am I the only one who thought thinner *components* doesn't necessarily mean thinner laptop? After all, it's not impossible that Apple is making room for other things, like bigger battery, right?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
RE: MBA...its hard to improve on perfection. Cant imagine it being a much better machine than it already is

You have a very limited imagination then.
I can imagine even the most powerful desktop computer being way way faster than it is now, let alone a low power laptop.

zzLZHzz

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Sounds like great news, but would the the MacBook Air cannibalize MacBook Pro sales, or perhaps vice versa?

the pricing for both basic mba and mbp are quite similar, perhaps mbp has a higher profit margin.

and apple rather mba cannibalize mbp sale than other oem doing so

i do hope that the thickness lose from the keyboard could go to giving extra thickness from battery.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Steve Jobs keynotes
"The new Macbook is X mm thin"

Tim Cook keynotes
"The new Macbook is X mm thick"

See the difference here? I did and was like wow the first time I heard it on a Cook keynote. I was like wtf Apple it's X mm thin. I even said that to my screen as I watched the keynote.

Is there a point to this? I don't know. But it did make me think.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Too many stories about iMacs, Mac Minis, Mac Pros and the notebook lines on this website. I'm going to look for a site that has more coverage about iDevices and iOS.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Too many stories about iMacs, Mac Minis, Mac Pros and the notebook lines on this website. I'm going to look for a site that has more coverage about iDevices and iOS.
Really?

Either that is sarcasm or you just don't know.
This website is like 50% iOS and 50% Apple Legal. With a sprinkling about the Mac in it's various forms.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
What a sad sad company Apple has become...

Instead of coming up with new creative ideas, all what they are doing is making things thinner or longer... where is the innovation?

The creating mind is dead and now what Apple is doing is making a fire from the fallen tree. Yes, they are going to make more money for a while, but in 2 years people will notice for real Apple is no more what it used to be, it is an expensive Chinese store.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
The lack of rumors, at least I hope, is due to the 'double down' on security that Cook had mentioned earlier on. I really hope this is true and the reason why.

If no new mac's come out this year or early next year, then I seriously would think Apple gave up on the Mac line up.

It's obviously harder to hide rumors on the iPhone given all the FCC regulations and how popular the phone has become. I just hope for the Mac's sake, something new will appear in the entire line up.

----------

I personally rather see improvements in battery life, weight, data i/o speed, and connectivity within hardware. I don't want my MBP to be too thin.

I won't get into it with software.

jeffreyfranz

macrumors member
May 21, 2012
California
Time to pull the trigger?

June 2013 with Haswell chips and the release of the next version of OS X. The great thing about Intel's product roadmaps is they are pretty darn easy to draw conclusions from.

So... Someone like me, who has been waiting and waiting to buy a new MBP (since summer 2011, at least), and each rime a "new release" turns out to be "Apple makes minor performance bumps" decides to wait again for the real next generation MBP to arrive, should I just go ahead and buy? I need a new computer, and June 2013 is a long way off. Will Apple maybe do anything meaningful with the MBP between now and the end of the year? Thanks. :apple:

serenegrace

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
Australia
Watch as the internal components get smaller and the battery stays the same size while they continually make the external form-factor thinner and thinner.
I'm actually really happy with how thin my rMBP is (it's even thinner than the 2011 air,) but honestly, increasing the battery size could do a world of good for Apple.

phil989

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2006
I should really stop reading this site. Typing from my newly acquired 2012 11" Macbook Air, hard not to feel a pang of horror at the thought of something better around the corner.

I've only had two other Macs since 2004 so I'm hardly one to constantly upgrade, but you can't deny it feelsbadman.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Hahaha, I want to buy one for the wife but she's so uninterested if what she has ('10 MBP 13") still works.

Don't feel bad. That's probably why she still keeps you around too! :D

----------

So... Someone like me, who has been waiting and waiting to buy a new MBP (since summer 2011, at least), and each rime a "new release" turns out to be "Apple makes minor performance bumps" decides to wait again for the real next generation MBP to arrive, should I just go ahead and buy? I need a new computer, and June 2013 is a long way off. Will Apple maybe do anything meaningful with the MBP between now and the end of the year? Thanks. :apple:

The new MBP has arrived. It's called Retina. If you're looking for a next gen classic, there isn't going to be one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.