Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Apple can not control cr^p WiFi connections and it may have nothing to do with your $900 phone. The phone is simply following the users comand and downloading the file. It is the USERS responcibilty to control his device.:rolleyes:

No actually apple can control your device, they can remove apps, they can take your location data when you dont know, they can take your browsing data, they have full control over your device, that is why they made the battery non removable, so you cant stop them.

Last edited:

misterjay

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
I have been doing the same and found that the ATT app and the AT&T text service were very different. App says 102MB or so but checking via text (dial *3282#) and that says over 1GB. The online reporting is delayed/incorrect. Even my phone usage shows over 1GB. Also I would rather plan like I am high so not to go over.

Ugh. Yeah mine's showing it different too when i dial that. This is so annoying. If I happen to go over my 4GB Data plan, I will sure as hell make sure it gets waived.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
No actually apple can control your device, they can remove apps, they can take your location data when you dont know, they can take your browsing data, they have full control over your device, that is why they made the battery non removable, so you cant stop them.

I hate to say it but it is not just Apple. Do not think that Google does not know where you have been and can predict where you WILL go in the future. Worst is our government will be crawling in bed with these purveyors of information to track your every move and even tax you for moving.

We have reached a big fork in the road for America. We have two choices and if we make the wrong choice, there will never be any turning back. :(

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
I hate to say it but it is not just Apple. Do not think that Google does not know where you have been and can predict where you WILL go in the future. Worst is our government will be crawling in bed with these purveyors of information to track your every move and even tax you for moving.

We have reached a big fork in the road for America. We have two choices and if we make the wrong choice, there will never be any turning back. :(

Here, here, the truest and most situation-ally aware post I have read in months.

Last edited:

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
my 4s always stayed on wifi if it was connected. with my 5 i always have to go into settings and reconnect to wifi if it goes to sleep or after a little while of using it

BS

I think you might have got the wrong idea. It's not as if my phone is not staying on wifi. It is very much connected to wifi and I don't have to reconnect it every time. Is the fact that when the phone is in sleep mode (or stand by) and then you press the home button, you can see that it very quickly switched from 3G to wifi. So the phone knows it's in a wifi environment and it knows exactly which wifi network to connect to. My question is, if this has been happening all along, if so the fact that most us have unlimited data plan might not have noticed this problem.

iwayne

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Santa Clara, California
Same issue here too, Somehow in 1 week i've blown through 2.4GB of data as per the iPhone. In 5yrs I've never used 2GB in a month. Makes NO SENSE. Verizon website states i've used 1.02GB. Why the discrepancy. It doesn't appear to be a delay, unless its like 5 days behind. Something is going on...

Egon84

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2011
King's Mtn, NC
I havent seen anyone post this, but I did a factory reset. I turned off Location Services, did not log into iCloud. The only apps that were installed were apple apps. I did some video streaming with safari on wifi, and was still was getting cellular data usage on the phone. The only thing that stopped this was disabling voice and data over cellular. I will be up at the apple store tomorrow so maybe we can get some answers then.

----------

... My question is, if this has been happening all along, if so the fact that most us have unlimited data plan might not have noticed this problem.

I have never been on unlimited data, and on my 4S I was only hitting 0.2GB a month, and I've used 0.3GB since the 21st.

esploded

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2011
I hate this problem. I had it with my 4S, but I don't think it's a hardware problem because I'm on the 5 now. I keep wasting my LTE data usage on downloading apps that switch halfway from wifi to cellular! :mad:

paulie6978

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
The Cradle of Liberty
I think you might have got the wrong idea. It's not as if my phone is not staying on wifi. It is very much connected to wifi and I don't have to reconnect it every time. Is the fact that when the phone is in sleep mode (or stand by) and then you press the home button, you can see that it very quickly switched from 3G to wifi. So the phone knows it's in a wifi environment and it knows exactly which wifi network to connect to. My question is, if this has been happening all along, if so the fact that most us have unlimited data plan might not have noticed this problem.

my wifi icon has always stayed at the top of the screeen ( ios5+, ios 6 on my 4s) until now with the iphone 5

ssspinball

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
This is not an iPhone 5 specific problem. It's iOS 6 where the problem lies. I have an iPhone 4 on AT&T and after updating to iOS 6, iTunes Match decided to download 900 MB overnight instead of sticking to WiFi even though I have the "use celluar data" option under Music set to OFF.

That's half my data allotment for the month gone with 3 weeks to go. :mad:

CSpackler

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
On a plane

Good post. Many will read this and continue to be apathetic.

There's a saying... You may not take an interest in politics, but politics sure takes an interest in you.

kingsrule5

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
I turned off iCloud backups and have yet to see the same kind of hit since. In the 2 days since I turned it off I have used about 200mb's vs the 800 used in less than 24 hours with it on.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
I turned off iCloud backups and have yet to see the same kind of hit since. In the 2 days since I turned it off I have used about 200mb's vs the 800 used in less than 24 hours with it on.

How do you explain that?
iCloud backups require WIFI to work, and are not supposed to work over cellular data connections.
-Not doubting you BTW.

Quite frankly, I have lost trust in iOS6- and have no idea WTH it's doing with my data, WIFI (which is broken), or when it's supposedly sleeping.
When I hit the home button, I clearly see 4G first, and then it switch to wifi.
Of course on my unit, wifi is about 1/4 the DL speed it should be- directly compared to the 4S on iOS6.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
How do you explain that?
iCloud backups require WIFI to work, and are not supposed to work over cellular data connections.
-Not doubting you BTW.

Quite frankly, I have lost trust in iOS6- and have no idea WTH it's doing with my data, WIFI (which is broken), or when it's supposedly sleeping.
Of course on my unit, wifi is about 1/4 the DL speed it should be- directly compared to the 4S on iOS6.

I, too, find myself suspicious of iOS 6 when configuring a new device. From the 21st to the 22nd I used 1.6 GB of data. now I have used 1.8 (thank God. 5 GB here)

kingsrule5

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
How do you explain that?
-Not doubting you BTW.

There was an option in the beta's for wifi+cellular which if the wifi wasn't passing data the phone would use cellular data. It was removed in the GM build.

There are 2 possible theories I have stemming from this:

1. The rumor that the toggle for this setting was removed and the functionality was left and set to on.

2. Some remnants of code were left and it is causing issues that were not meant to occur.

Other theories that are unrelated to that option are:

1. Back up is starting over wifi but in iOS 6 wifi sleeps when phone is locked and for some reason backup continues on cellular.

2. Somebody at Apple screwed up the code and back up over cellular was some how allowed.

I am leaning toward one of the issues from the wifi+cellular feature.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
my wifi icon has always stayed at the top of the screeen ( ios5+, ios 6 on my 4s) until now with the iphone 5

Always, as in even when the screen is dark? How can you tell if it didn't not switch to 3G while the screen is dark? As I stated earlier it "very quickly" switch from 3G to wifi, sually in less than a second, when you wake up the phone. Just want to make sure we are checking the same thing that's all.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Good post. Many will read this and continue to be apathetic.

There's a saying... You may not take an interest in politics, but politics sure takes an interest in you.

Thanks Sir. I fear that most people here are not into politics, they just want their iPhone.:rolleyes:

iBought

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Shoulda got a sprint iPhone 5 then you wouldnt have to worry about the amount of data you use...even if it was accidental

Sprint is awful. I am switching to VZW in a week and cant wait.

Unlimited data is a total hoax. I would rather pay more for verizon. That is how bad sprint is.

negrohero9

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
D[M]V
Sprint is awful. I am switching to VZW in a week and cant wait.

Unlimited data is a total hoax. I would rather pay more for verizon. That is how bad sprint is.

Maybe in your area...not in mine!!!! Sprint works great for me and i still get the speeds.

digitaldreams11

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
Hi I'm having the exact problem listed here where if my phone is in sleep mode and not on a charger it is using the LTE network and I'm on Verizon with a brand new iPhone 5. This is an issue as it is using the LTE data plan while the bigger problem I'm having is my gmail email (Setup using gmail not exchange) will not fetch at all while sleeping and on verizon LTE.

Very strange as I used to wake up in the morning with my iPHone 4 on ATT and would see how many emails were waiting for me as the notification number of emails would show on the email app icon. Now it looks like I have none until I actually open email then it tries to connect and downloads all the mail. Others are having the same issue with gmail setup this way. I have checked my settings and I have push enabled with fetch every 15 minutes. Although for gmail my only options under "Advanced" are either Fetch or Manual and I have it setup to fetch. I have heard this is either a Verizon or iOS6 issue. Very frustrated and hope that apple or somebody is looking into this. It doesn't "just work". and I love apple and have a lot of apple products in our household.. boo

ssspinball

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
I have read elsewhere this is an iOS 6 issue and it may have been caused if you updated your iPhone to iOS 6 using the OTA update.

The way it would affect iPhone 5's is if up uploaded a previous iPhone to iOS 6 OTA, then later restored that same backup to your new iPhone.

I am going to try restoring from iTunes this weekend, as some have claimed this fixes the issue of WiFi turning off while asleep.

No idea if this is related to using cellular data instead of WiFi while the device is awake.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
I have read elsewhere this is an iOS 6 issue and it may have been caused if you updated your iPhone to iOS 6 using the OTA update.

The way it would affect iPhone 5's is if up uploaded a previous iPhone to iOS 6 OTA, then later restored that same backup to your new iPhone.

I am going to try restoring from iTunes this weekend, as some have claimed this fixes the issue of WiFi turning off while asleep.

No idea if this is related to using cellular data instead of WiFi while the device is awake.

Negative.
Both of ours were set up as new, and restored by DL via iTunes.
this of course includes the fact it did not work out of the box as well.

ssspinball

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Negative.
Both of ours were set up as new, and restored by DL via iTunes.
this of course includes the fact it did not work out of the box as well.

Could be different issues/bugs. I have a 4 and yet I had a 900 MB of cellular data use while I was sleeping that has never happened to me before in 2.5 years of owning this phone. Only change was iOS 6, didn't even change settings.

Kline

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
I have the same problem! I used to be on an unlimited plan, now I'm on a 2gig data plan. Granted I only used on average .50 gigs of data per month. I figured 2 gigs a month would be plenty. Last night I received multiple texts form Verizon claiming I exceeded my data by 8 gigs!!! Not possible. I am always on wifi at home and work. I called Verizon and explained everything to them. They said they were gonna look into it. For the time being they put me on the 20 gig plan so I won't exceed anymore. I figured this must be a fault on Apple's side. Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.