Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moogs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
So I have some videos taken with my iPhone and/or iPad (doesn't matter which) that I'm trying to send to my apple tv and it is taking forever for them to load on the atv. However, its instant when streaming videos from my computer using the Air Video app. Why does this suck? :confused:

moogs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Forgot to add that when I'm streaming videos using Air Video from my computer, I'm also using the air play feature to redirect the video to the Apple TV.

----------

Linksys what?

Wrt54g I think

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
There's your answer. That's ancient 802.11g WiFi. Try 802.11n for something faster, a simultaneous 5GHz dual band would be nice.

Also try connecting the ATV via wired Ethernet to your router. That should help a little.

moogs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
There's your answer. That's ancient 802.11g WiFi. Try 802.11n for something faster, a simultaneous 5GHz dual band would be nice.

Also try connecting the ATV via wired Ethernet to your router. That should help a little.

But playing videos using the Air Video app is pretty much instantaneous. That uses the router too.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Much lower bitrate and much smaller files when you use the AirVideo player. I assume you use that app for things like avi files? They're very low (~1.5Mbps) bitrate files.

Video taken on the iPad can be upwards of 10Mbps - easily approaching the real-world bandwidth of an old 802.11g router.

moogs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Much lower bitrate and much smaller files when you use the AirVideo player. I assume you use that app for things like avi files? They're very low (~1.5Mbps) bitrate files.

Video taken on the iPad can be upwards of 10Mbps - easily approaching the real-world bandwidth of an old 802.11g router.

Theyre the same videos. I just offloaded them to my pc to see if there was any difference. I am using Play with Live Conversion however. Is it converting the video to something with a lower bit rate?

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
Don't let those chumps bust your balls. I use a new airport express and have exactly the same problem. I can stream video games in real time, but a video has to buffer for five minutes before it will play.

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
If your ATV is also on wifi then you may be sending the video from the ipad to the router then from the router to the ATV. Correct me if I'm wrong but if thats the case you may be saturating your wireless bandwidth. Wireless if convenience, not performance. Time for a new router.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
Theyre the same videos. I just offloaded them to my pc to see if there was any difference. I am using Play with Live Conversion however. Is it converting the video to something with a lower bit rate?

yes, check the settings under the Global Settings button and see what bitrates you have enabled under Local WiFi.

meteoroidz

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
I just tried to airplay from my iPhone to ATV and it also took forever to load. Linksys WRT120N is what I think the router is that I own. I believe it's old? What would be the best router to get for an upgrade?

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Airport Extreme Base Station

It's a little pricy, but really easy to set up and quite good. You can get a refurbished one for a bit of a discount, as it hasn't seen many major updates in years. It also has wireless N, simultaneous dual band, 5GHz band, lots of settings, USB port, etc. It's pretty awesome.

meteoroidz

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012

It's a little pricy, but really easy to set up and quite good. You can get a refurbished one for a bit of a discount, as it hasn't seen many major updates in years. It also has wireless N, simultaneous dual band, 5GHz band, lots of settings, USB port, etc. It's pretty awesome.

How would you say the Airport Express Base Station is compared to the Extreme?

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio

I bought one last week when bestbuy had the refund gen 5 for $89. it came yesterday but I haven't set it up yet. I hope I am as happy with it as you seem to be.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
How would you say the Airport Express Base Station is compared to the Extreme?

I wouldn't know. I haven't used the Express before. However, the new Express does have many similar features. I don't think the Express supports the use of an external hard drive in the USB port, so that's the only disadvantage I see. If you don't care much about that, then I think the Express would suffice.

Although, I think the AirPort Extreme has a bit further range. Don't quote me on that though.

I bought one last week when bestbuy had the refund gen 5 for $89. it came yesterday but I haven't set it up yet. I hope I am as happy with it as you seem to be.

$89?! What a deal! Congratulations on your purchase, I hope you are as satisfied as me as well!

I haven't had much problems with my old routers, but the wireless g connection does make the AirPlay choppy, and AirPlay is one of the most under advertised and best feature Apple has. Siri doesn't even compare.

The higher end routers are worth it if AirPlay is a feature you want to abuse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.