Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KoG506

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
Ohio
You have to restore the phone to unlock it?

No, If you go to iphoneox.com and type in your IMEI # and it says "unlocked". You put in a sim card that is NOT At&t and plug iphone into computer open up itunes. Itunes will communicate with apple server and unlock your phone.

ntnwwnet

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2006
No, If you go to iphoneox.com and type in your IMEI # and it says "unlocked". You put in a sim card that is NOT At&t and plug iphone into computer open up itunes. Itunes will communicate with apple server and unlock your phone.

Why is everybody posting this site? Why should we put our IMEI numbers directly into another (rather sketchy) site?

Site info: http://whois.domaintools.com/iphoneox.com

It does not seem legitimate at all.

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
You'd wind up paying full price since you won't get the phone on contract. Those phones may already be unlocked, but if not, you can submit a request to AT&T here.

Am I able to buy get the phone with the ATT 'no commitment' option at the Apple Store?

Also, the Verizon iPhone 5 models are all completely unlocked, and will work in Europe just as well as the AT&T models. Actually, the Verizon models will even get LTE in the UK (on EE) and Germany (on Deutsche Telekom), but not Norway. So try a Verizon store, as well. People have reported using AT&T SIMs in Verizon iPhones with no issues.

I need the GSM version to work with the network specification we have here.

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Am I able to buy get the phone with the ATT 'no commitment' option at the Apple Store?

It's trickier now because most of the in-store stock is reserved for the online pre-purchase system they have in place. You cannot buy a phone with the "no-commitment" option from Apple's website. If they have any stock in store you can buy it "device only" and it will be unlocked.

I need the GSM version to work with the network specification we have here.

The Verizon iPhone has a GSM radio in it. It's been confirmed to work with AT&T SIM cards here in the US. Actually, it is better in Europe than the AT&T version since it supports the LTE frequencies that EE and Deutsche Telekom use in the UK and Germany, respectively.

Both the AT&T and Verizon versions will run on 3G/HSPA networks in Europe.

You can also buy a "no-commitment" phone from an AT&T or Verizon store that has them in stock. Again, both have 3G radios compatible with Europe, and both should be unlocked.

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
You can also buy a "no-commitment" phone from an AT&T or Verizon store that has them in stock. Again, both have 3G radios compatible with Europe, and both should be unlocked.

Thanks for your replies. So I guess my best option is to walk into a ATT or Verizon store and see whether I can get hold of a 'no commitment' version there...

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
So, the correct procedure is to roger the unlock, once they get back to you and say you are good to go, then you restore your phone. Do you then have to set up as new first, before loading the backup or can you skip that step?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Thanks for your replies. So I guess my best option is to walk into a ATT or Verizon store and see whether I can get hold of a 'no commitment' version there...

You can try an Apple store in the evening to see if there are any no-shows. I'd suggest the Grand Central store if you are in New York.

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
You can try an Apple store in the evening to see if there are any no-shows. I'd suggest the Grand Central store if you are in New York.

OK, there is a ATT store close to Gran Central as well. What do you mean with 'no shows', people that has reserved their phone but not picked it up yet?

Aslo, whats the odds of actually getting a iPhone this sunday (tomorrow (the 30th Sept)). Whats the general amount in stock these days?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
OK, there is a ATT store close to Gran Central as well. What do you mean with 'no shows', people that has reserved their phone but not picked it up yet?

Aslo, whats the odds of actually getting a iPhone this sunday (tomorrow (the 30th Sept)). Whats the general amount in stock these days?

Yes, people who pre-order need to pick up the phone by a certain time. I haven't checked the stores since I purchased my phone yesterday. The AT&T store across the street from Grand Central had none last Saturday and no idea when they were coming in.

There are also several Verizon stores nearby. Search for a store using the ZIP Code 10017.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/dispatcher

Now that Apple has put in place the online sale system stock in stores has become very tight, as what little there is gets snapped up quickly. Last year you were able to "reserve" a phone without buying it, but this year you need to actually purchase it online (which requires signing up for a contract). For most consumers it works out better since it shortens wait times in the store, but unfortunately Apple isn't allowing device-only sales online.

bastienn

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2013
iphone

yes but the guys from unlock fusion are employee from att

can they cancel my contract for free

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.