Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
Every iPhone was black for me until the 5. The aluminum sides with a polished bevel is dead sexy.

I also like the all black look but I'm glad I went with white thi time around.

brewno

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I was going to get the Black one, as I thought it was better looking, but after seeing all the pictures with the scratches, I opted for the white one.

mavimaui

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
I'm ordering the white for a few reasons...

- I've always had a black phone and was looking for a change
- Posts suggest that the scratches on the back of the black phone are more apparent than those on the white model
- I will have a case on the phone, and with any sheer/semi-sheer case, the color will appear much more vibrant on the white background of the phone than on the black..

but in reality, it's all about personal preference.. perhaps even head to an apple store or retailer to see for yourself which you like in person!

Hope this helps!

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
Caseless and inside, the white looks great.
Outdoors not so sure...
I find the white top an bottom trim quite bright / distracting in the car or outside.

Surprised how plain / flat the black one looks, not the usual Apple design.

Maybe the black would have been better with unpainted sides and back.

BlackandSilver.jpg

Last edited:

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Caseless and inside, the white looks great.
Outdoors not so sure...
I find the white top an bottom trim quite bright in the car or outside.

Surprised how plain / flat the black one looks, not the usual Apple design.

Maybe the black would have been better with unpainted sides and back.

If scuffgate is to be believed, black device owners will find out in a month or two :)

ndpitch

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
I went with the white after having a black 3G and a black 4. I like.

The aluminum look is sweet.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
i ordered the black iphone 5 because the black in apple.com looks slick!

but after i received the iPhone, especially with smudges on the screen and the black bezel, it doesnt look as luxury as the white i saw in the store.

the white has no smudges on the bezel, it looks clean anytime. and the shiny edge bevel is really amazing while the black's edge is not as shiny.

im switching to white :D

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I have a Black 4S and I tend to choose everything Black, but the White iPhone 5 looks so much better than the Black. IMO. The contrast of the white and silver looks strikingly irresistible than the bland contrast on the black. Again, just my opinion.

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
I got the white, but the Black model is being delivered to me this morning, so I can make up my mind. I want to see both in person, and play around with them a little before I send one of them back.

I think the black looks slick and classy

MF878

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
I was looking at the website day in and day out trying to decide, and I seemed set on the black. I went into a store which had only black demo units, and I was all set to go home and order black when I checked another store and saw both side by side. The white just gleams, it was definitely not what I was expecting. White for me without a doubt.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
Once you go white youre always right.

No but seriously - I like my white. Its a speed demon and one h3ll of a jewel.

My precious!

Elevon

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2011
I chose Black.
Things like dirt are more visible on the White, especially I have sweaty palms.
So it's all down the personal preferences...

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
Black 4 sure ;-). Can't beat the classic, sleek, elegant look of the black. I also like how the top and bottom panels disappear in the back ground and all you see is the screen which makes the colors pop. On the other hand my mom got a white iPhone 5 although I tried to convince her to get the black which proves everybody has different taste.

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
Black 4 sure ;-). Can't beat the classic, sleek, elegant look of the black. I also like how the top and bottom panels disappear in the back ground and all you see is the screen which makes the colors pop. On the other hand my mom got a white iPhone 5 although I tried to convince her to get the black which proves everybody has different taste.

It's like Darth Vadar VS Luke Skywalker.

Choose a side of the force.

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
The black one, looks amazing!

As for the white one I think it's absolutely horrible, much prefer my white 4S.

Fishnyc

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
I pre-ordered the white 32gb Verizon, when I went to buy a case at the verizon store I saw it,,,,, the black iPhone 5 !!!!!!!!!!!!! I sold my white iPhone 5 for $900 and paid $749 plus tax and drove all the way from NYC to bridgewater nj to pick up the black 32gb iPhone 5. And it looks amazing!!!

I have had the the white iPhone 4 on launch 4-28-11, then my wife bought me the 4s in white for Christmas 2011, so maybe 17 months of white iPhone made me tired of it, but.... I am very well pleased with the black and slate version. Thanks for reading.

enophi1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2008
UK
It's like Darth Vadar VS Luke Skywalker.

Choose a side of the force.

And I did just that. Black model came this morning from Apple. Shipped direct from China. Week 37 model, flawless.

No problems here. Glad I swapped it for the white. Although I wish I could keep the both of them with me, one has to go back tomorrow.

Seeing both the black and white next to each other in person really makes the choice easier. Black all the way!

fahadm101

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
Black

iPhone 4/4S - Definitely white
iPhone 5 - The white doesn't seem to impress me as much as the black so definitely black for sure. Plus the sensor that is seen on the white just ruins it.
My nan got the white and on the screen, she couldn't which one was the sensor and which was the camera.

stoneland

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
My 4 was black and I got a black 5. I got the 4 close to when it was launched so a white wasn't available, but I do think the 4 looks better in white...something about the white glass and the silver banding makes it look really cool, and funnily I think the black of the light sensor, front camera, and the earpiece against the white front on that phone makes it look awesome! But for the 5 I never liked the white version...I personally didn't like the two-tone back and on the white one it looks more "cheap" to me. So I stuck with black. I miss having a silver band though. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.