Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

gmailforios.png

Google has updated the official Gmail for iOS app with support for the iPhone 5's larger screen. The app allows users to read and organize their Gmail messages, as well as push notifications for new messages.

Google also announced a new way to sync with Google Contacts on iOS. The service now supports CardDav, an open protocol for contact syncing.

Gmail for iPhone and iPad is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Gmail Updated With iPhone 5 Support

Suspended
Jun 11, 2010
anyone else bored with these articles about iPhone 5 app updates?

its a problem for early adopters yet people blindly buy

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
Hopefully YouTube is next in line for an update.
I would think an app like YouTube, which could really take advantage of the 16:9 display, would have priority over Gmail, which, on the iPhone 5, simply allows you to view more content.

I supposed there are other factors in play.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany

LOL calling that a problem is a bit of an overstatement to make.
No matter what I have pre-5 iPhone or iPhone 5: Most apps are 3.5", but they all work.

No an early adopter problem is actually something breaking or such, this I would call an early-adopter trade off.

Then again, you at least get some apps in 4" already and dare I say the apps I use the most all got updated already.

At least I don't have to wait for weeks to get my iPhone 5 shipped lol, early adopters unite :D

Glassed Silver:mac

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan

Apps still work, they just dont take up the full screen. Not more of a problem than when retina was introduced.

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007

What the heck does that have to do with anything?

You can always NOT read the articles and NOT comment on them - such a strange foreign concept, I know.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Apps still work, they just dont take up the full screen. Not more of a problem than when retina was introduced.

True, but I wish non iPhone 5 apps running in portrait mode had one large black bar at the top instead of being centered with two black bars on top and bottom. Most apps have a tool bar on the bottom of the screen and I often find myself hitting a bottom black bar instead of toolbar button slightly above.

nibster

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2012
Old Street, London
what are the benefits?

I'm a gmail user with an iPhone 5 but have always used the integration with the iOS Mail app. Sometimes I wish I could use the google search to find things I know are in my mail, but otherwise it works for me.

Am I missing out on any other benefits by not using the Gmail app?

Would like to hear from anyone who finds it useful.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
I wish apple would do something with the added space - even google gmail could of added some more menu options. Why just stretch it out?

That's lazy.

hejda

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
True, but I wish non iPhone 5 apps running in portrait mode had one large black bar at the top instead of being centered with two black bars on top and bottom. Most apps have a tool bar on the bottom of the screen and I often find myself hitting a bottom black bar instead of toolbar button slightly above.

This.
I'm constantly missing letters in whatsapp because they keyboard is now in a slightly different place than the built in message one.

curmudgeon32

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
I'm a gmail user with an iPhone 5 but have always used the integration with the iOS Mail app. Sometimes I wish I could use the google search to find things I know are in my mail, but otherwise it works for me.

I'm with you -- I use the Mail app at least 90% of the time and find it quite sufficient. The other 10% is when I'm searching for something. That's where the Gmail app is quite good and the Apple app often stumbles.

My main gripe about the Gmail app is that it just doesn't cache things very well, so when I find myself opening Mail in the subway, Gmail is nearly useless while Mail is usually quite up-to-date.

GiantSteve

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Gmail Labels

I actually find the iOS spotlight search a pretty good way to find emails but I use the Gmail app to apply, view and filter my email by labels. With multiple projects and activities I find labels an essential tool to organize my email and for better or worse the Gmail app is the best way to do this. I also have a number of automated filters that apply labels to specific classes of email. The Sparrow app had labels, but their color coding does not sync with Gmail and it isn't as easy to use and use. Also, the Gmail app lets me see my original message and replies in the threaded view as seperate emails while they only show as quoted replies in the native app. The Gmail app has some real issues, but until there is a better way to use Gmail labels I will continue to use it. If you have a large volume of email you may find labels and filters can really help your productivity.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal

flags

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I really like the Gmail app ever since they added Push Notifications to it. Now all I would like to see is them find a way to speed up it's load times.

Skulls

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2012
You know that you can have push notifications for Gmail with the stock mail app only, right?
You don't need a google's app for that.
Plus, it takes too long to load(compared to the stock mail app), and since it's single account only, it's completely useless.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011

First world problems...

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
You know that you can have push notifications for Gmail with the stock mail app only, right?
You don't need a google's app for that.
Plus, it takes too long to load(compared to the stock mail app), and since it's single account only, it's completely useless.

Yes, but the native Mail.app doesn't support Gmail labels, which I use a lot. I used Mail.app with my Gmail ever since the first iPhone up until the Gmail.app provided Push. Since then I stopped using the Mail.app, even though I do like it for it's simplicity.

----------

I've always used my gmail account via the already provided Apple mail app. Is this going to be no longer the case? If not, what is the point of a separate gmail app?

No, I don't think so. Mail.app should support Gmail as time goes on. I can't see Apple dropping that support, knowing that millions of more people probably use Gmail more than Apple Mail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.