Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Why do people have this false notion that music streaming takes anything away from designing computers?

Apple is a big company, and the people working on iTunes are not designing "computers for professionals". I do believe that Apple can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Sure they can but they have not being doing that as of late. :rolleyes:

FlameofAnor

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
As a musician myself (with music on over 48 retailers, dozens of internet radio services, and soundtrack for TV shows), I'm glad Sony isn't budging.....

The royalties paid on streams are a joke.

In many cases, even TENTHS of cents is being generous. More like TENTH

Not saying all these companies are getting rich off this, but the payout really is pathetic. Ends up being more of an 'exposure' thing for musicians, than it is about revenue.

The rate may be poor for the musician, but the question is why should Apple pay a higher rate than any of the other streaming services? That hardly seems fair or acceptable, as far as Apple is concerned.

FlameofAnor

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Sure they can but they have not being doing that as of late. :rolleyes:

Well, one thing is for certain, Apple doesn't do major updates until they feel the time is right. Their timetable, and yours, may not coincide. I believe Tim Cook has already said that the pro line will be addressed next year.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I didn't mean just MR, do you read articles outside of this forum?

Of course I do. But your assertion of "every article" is a little silly even as hyperbole, simply just from looking at our site.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Why does every article need a "-killer" in it? ipad-killer...pandora-killer...

Sigh.

I thought it said "panda-killer." I was expecting a very different article. :cool:

big

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
That's fine if they want to do this. I just wish they can focus on more important things like "computers" for professionals. ;)

I certainly wouldn't mind that. :p

On a similar note, I find it annoying when people blame MR for the lack of Mac news. Blame Apple for not updating the Macs! If there's news, it'll be posted.

Mundty

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
I don't know if I'd be willing to give up Pandora for an iTunes equivalent. I'm usually all for the native Apps that Apple provides. But honestly, Pandora has been a good service since day one and I'm not sure I see any reason to switch.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Well, one thing is for certain, Apple doesn't do major updates until they feel the time is right. Their timetable, and yours, may not coincide. I believe Tim Cook has already said that the pro line will be addressed next year.

Well, while I am fine of them taking their time to get it right. The MacPro and ACD line that I was originally referring to has been without a significant upgrade for years.
My only consolation is an email Tim sent I think at the beginning of the year stating that the pro line still alive. So we can only hope this baby will finally come to life sometime soon.

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
Humm, Does Apple really need to go after this?
Look what happened to Maps. I really don't want them to foray on everything.

Bring a new kick ass MacPro and hi-end ACDs please......

OT: Yes, and i hope they'll bring back 24" and 30" 16:10 variants with matte as an option one day...

WoodNUFC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
A Library
I'm too happy with Spotify to switch to anything else. But if Apple can do the service well and not half-a** it, I'm sure a lot of people would use it.

FlameofAnor

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Well, while I am fine of them taking their time to get it right. The MacPro and ACD line that I was originally referring to has been without a significant upgrade for years.
My only consolation is an email Tim sent I think at the beginning of the year stating that the pro line still alive. So we can only hope this baby will finally come to life sometime soon.

I certainly understand the frustration, but considering the pro line is a much smaller part of Apple sales these days, it naturally won't be the highest priority. You can't really expect a company to devote as much time to a product line that appeals to a much smaller market.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I certainly understand the frustration, but considering the pro line is a much smaller part of Apple sales these days, it naturally won't be the highest priority. You can't really expect a company to devote as much time to a product line that appeals to a much smaller market.

Not expecting devotion. I know Apple's bread and butter now is iOS and the iToys.
The thing is the desktop professional line is abandoned. Only portables have seem serious updates. But again, I am still hopeful something might come up in the next 12 months that might finally make us happy.

DamonBowser

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
Pandora? Why not use last.fm :rolleyes: All based on prefrence though and I just prefer a survice like last.fm that actualy offers international music in anon botched form, and also works with listeners to imrpove.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I don't have a problem with them wanting a piece of the digital marketplace, but as I said even little of the revenue from streaming services is better than nothing. If they wait too long they will fail.

Do you think Apple agrees with a little bit is better than nothing when it comes to their IP?

doubletap

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2009
Ashburn, VA
If Apple was in the process of negotiating fees for streaming music, it sounds like they were developing an on-demand service like Spotify.

The DMCA allows for anyone to stream music as long as some requirements and limits are followed - like it cannot be an on-demand service.

dt

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I would rather Apple put their efforts into other areas, like finally adding the option to buy lossless music on the iTunes Store. If they can sell SD and HD films and tv shows they can do the same with music. It would also help to differentiate iTunes from the likes of Pandora and Spotify who stream compressed music.

I'd also like to see them offer the option to store your iTunes library in iCloud with the ability to download or stream all your content. I buy a lot of films and tv shows and it's a pain having to download everything. It's clogging up my hard drive and slowing my internet connection. It would so much easier if I could buy a film or tv show from the iTunes Store and just leave in my iCloud folder. Then I could stream it to my AppleTV or computer to watch it. If I want to take it with me then I can always download it later to my iPad or laptop. I was hoping this facility would make it into iTunes 11 but sadly not.

extradryny

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
Isn't launching a "pandora-like" music service kind of like launching a "myspace-like" social network?

All the cool kids use Spotify.

jaymzuk

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2012
The rate may be poor for the musician, but the question is why should Apple pay a higher rate than any of the other streaming services? That hardly seems fair or acceptable, as far as Apple is concerned.

The post reports that Apple wants better licencing rates, which I read to be paying less to Sony. It's very fair

Also, why should Sony feel compelled to enter into a streaming agreement with Apple? Sony want a price that Apple weren't willing to pay, therefore no transaction took place. You can say that sales might increase through directing through the iTunes stores, however that particular deal would mean Sony get less revenue on streams than Pandora and Spotify, then Apple takes 30% of the album revenue through iTunes anyway.

Sony have many vested interests. They sell music players, music, desktop machines, laptops, tablets, smartphones. What possible incentive is there for them to bend over and accept a worse offer on streaming when the whole deal threatens their music player/tablet/smartphone/content business model?

When Apple offers enough money, Sony will give access to the content

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
how do musicians even still exist today? how do they make a living? between streaming services, storefronts, and record labels all taking a cut, what's left for the actual creater/artist? seems a bit backwards to me. and that's not even getting into pirating.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
how do musicians even still exist today? how do they make a living? between streaming services, storefronts, and record labels all taking a cut, what's left for the actual creater/artist? seems a bit backwards to me. and that's not even getting into pirating.

Musicians don't make very much money from records and streaming, they make most of it from touring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.