Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
This is the first time I am using my iPhone 5. Should I let battery drain completely?

Iphone5preorder

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
I did a bunch of research and figured out that nobody knows. Personally I'm letting it go to 1% then charging full.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Some people who are experts claim "let it die first" then another expert claims "don't, new lithium batteries are fine" me personally. I let it die, then charge it all the way up. But that's just me haha

ttexxan

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
I wanted to test battery life and I am letting my drain to 1 percent. As I type this at two percent with almost 8 hrs of usage and over 1 day standby. Figure that is pretty good

jcastillo20059

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
It was an issue with only batteries but batteries these don't need that, but I always do it to every device that I own just a force of habbit, I usually do it the first 2 times then I let it go

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Draining Li-ion batteries too low can damage them. The occasional calibration isn't too bad, but draining it for the sake of "memory issues" is not valid where Li-ion batteries are concerned and in general is a bad practice.

mobiletech

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
These LI-ion batteries come pre-conditioned from the fActory and they only need it the one time.

Ishimaru

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Los Angeles
Yes! If my battery life is any indication, yes you should. Mine is 9% left with 10 hours, 10 minutes of usage, with 1 day, 3 hours of standby. Far better than I've ever gotten with the 4S.

rufhausen

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Littleton, CO
I'm draining my battery down right now because I don't see any downside. I've been stuck at 1% for more than 15 minutes now while playing a video. This makes me think that some "calibration" is in order since now I don't think the 1% was accurate when began the video.
We'll see.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
This is the first time I am using my iPhone 5. Should I let battery drain completely?

Just use it till the end of the day and charge it while you sleep, repeat daily.

You will get a hundred different answers for this. Bets to just ignor and enjoy your phone.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Draining my new i5 to 0% three times in a row DRAMATICALLY improved the battery life.

However, now that I've cycled it 3 times I will only be doing so like once a month.

Nobody is sure whether the new phone cycles help the software calibrate to give you more accurate readings or if it actually helps the battery itself. Probably the former.

Either way, give it a shot. Worked well for me.

GL! :)

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I'm draining my battery down right now because I don't see any downside. I've been stuck at 1% for more than 15 minutes now while playing a video. This makes me think that some "calibration" is in order since now I don't think the 1% was accurate when began the video.
We'll see.

My friend thought the same but even after running it down till it stopped, the phone did the same thing and ran for a LONG time after it got down to 1%.

It is just like your gas gage and you can still have plenty, even when it say Empty!

LyricalMenace

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
Draining my new i5 to 0% three times in a row DRAMATICALLY improved the battery life.

However, now that I've cycled it 3 times I will only be doing so like once a month.

Nobody is sure whether the new phone cycles help the software calibrate to give you more accurate readings or if it actually helps the battery itself. Probably the former.

Either way, give it a shot. Worked well for me.

GL! :)

I had the same exact results. Every drain cycle my battery increased significantly.

Now I will charge as needed.

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Never have followed any of that battery hocus pocus and have always had good battery life.

Some of us would like great battery life. If "good" is what you want than you probably don't have to bother with all that hocus pocus nonsense :)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Some of us would like great battery life. If "good" is what you want than you probably don't have to bother with all that hocus pocus nonsense :)

ok..I have always had great battery life....been unplugged since 5:30 est and is at 80% right now.

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Draining the battery completely is an old caveman/fool's idea of how to condition a battery. It's not necessary with lithium ion, and it can actually have negative effects.

One would have done this with other devices with ni-cad batteries.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Lithium batteries don't have any memory effect, so any calibration of the battery itself is not needed.
Apple suggest to let your device go to 0% once a month to calibrate the battery sensor.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Thanks for the coaching session. But again, others claim different. I wasn't saying who was right or who was wrong, i was saying what ive heard from so called "experts"

Yeah, any "experts" that tell you Li-Ion batteries need discharging are flat out wrong. The only benefit of discharging is to allow the charging system to calibrate against the battery's effective life. I don't even think once a month is necessary as the battery life won't change that often (except perhaps during the first few cycles when it actually increases in life).

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Yeah, any "experts" that tell you Li-Ion batteries need discharging are flat out wrong. The only benefit of discharging is to allow the charging system to calibrate against the battery's effective life. I don't even think once a month is necessary as the battery life won't change that often (except perhaps during the first few cycles when it actually increases in life).
True. Yeah i dont disagree with you guys. I was being "helpful" in warning people of these so called "experts"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.