Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asher86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Hi,

I have a problem connecting my iPhone with iTunes. I am running iTunes 10.6.3 and it is telling me I need iTunes 7. I have downloaded iTunes 7 but it won't install on my mac as I am running 10.5.8. Apparently I would need OSX 10.6 or above to install iTunes 7.

The problem is that I have a power-pc mac and I don't think snow leopard would install on my machine. What can I do to resolve this (apart from buying a new mac obviously!)? Surely Apple doesn't expect all iPhone 5 owners to buy an intel mac to connect their phones to iTunes? that would be ridiculous. How can I get round this so I can sync my phone and backup my data? Any help appreciated.

Thanks

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Hi,

I have a problem connecting my iPhone with iTunes. I am running iTunes 10.6.3 and it is telling me I need iTunes 7. I have downloaded iTunes 7 but it won't install on my mac as I am running 10.5.8. Apparently I would need OSX 10.6 or above to install iTunes 7.

The problem is that I have a power-pc mac and I don't think snow leopard would install on my machine. What can I do to resolve this (apart from buying a new mac obviously!)? Surely Apple doesn't expect all iPhone 5 owners to buy an intel mac to connect their phones to iTunes? that would be ridiculous. How can I get round this so I can sync my phone and backup my data? Any help appreciated.

Thanks

can you not sync through icloud?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Hi,

Thanks
I believe the specs say that syncing with iTunes requires OS X 10.6.

From Apple's iPhone specifications on the website:
Syncing with iTunes on a Mac or PC requires:
Mac: OS X v10.6.8 or later
PC: Windows 7; Windows Vista; or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later
iTunes 10.7 or later

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I have an iCoud account set up but I'm not really sure how it works. How do I select the data I want to back up?

I believe if you go to Settings --> iCloud you can specify which data you want to be synced with iCloud.

asher86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I believe if you go to Settings --> iCloud you can specify which data you want to be synced with iCloud.

So is iCLoud the only way of backing up my data then? And what about apps and music, are they backed up too?

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I have an iCoud account set up but I'm not really sure how it works. How do I select the data I want to back up?

So is iCLoud the only way of backing up my data then? And what about apps and music, are they backed up too?

Apps yes, photos, yes but you may fill up the free 5 gigs fast. for music i am not sure, but you may need to go with itunes match.

asher86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Apps yes, photos, yes but you may fill up the free 5 gigs fast. for music i am not sure, but you may need to go with itunes match.

Just had a look at the icloud help website, it says Your purchased music, apps, books, and TV shows, as well as your Photo Stream, don’t count against the 5 GB of free storage. So if I have say, 10Gb of apps, they won't take up any of that 5Gb?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

App data is backed up, as well as documents and camera roll. For music, only iTunes-purchased (unless you have iTunes Match.)

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Just had a look at the icloud help website, it says Your purchased music, apps, books, and TV shows, as well as your Photo Stream, don’t count against the 5 GB of free storage. So if I have say, 10Gb of apps, they won't take up any of that 5Gb?

That is good to know, i started to use iCloud to sync on my 4, but i started to get a note from apple telling me i was about to fill up my 5 gigs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.