Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
What would hte benefits be of rebooting the iphone and starting as new? I have about 1.4 gb in yellow (other) data that I seemed to have carried over.

Is it recommended to restart from scratch and set up as a new phone?

I have yet to calibrate my battery (let it empty and recharge to full) but yesterday I went 7.5 hours of usage (mostly listening to music, then some wifi browsing at home and some bluetooth streaming in the car) and 23 hours of standby. I should also mention that I have terrible signal at work where I spent most of my day and it constnatly fluxtuates between LTE, 3G & o (I'm on verizon).

Not sure what to think of the battery at this point and I would rather not have to reboot my phone from scratch if I don't have to.

Would I have to manuall select each of the apps I have installed on my iphone since I can't restore from backup? Is that really going to resolve whatever issue may or may not exist? iphone.

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
From what I've read on here and elsewhere, setting up as new appears to be the best approach. I've read of far too many people having issues from restores that are fixed by setting up as new. YMMV.

CanadaEh

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Toronto
Apparently starting 'new' and syncing via iCloud will give your iPhone 5 the best battery life performance.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
So could you explain to me exactly what I would do to go about this? I'm ok with doing this for the sheer fact that I know it would help get me back the 1.45 gb of "other" space that I carried over from my previous phone.

What do I have to do to get everything backed up to the icloud? Is there a step by step on how to go about this?

Would I lose all my settings and how my folders, icons, etc are placed?

----------

Apparently starting 'new' and syncing via iCloud will give your iPhone 5 the best battery life performance.

Also, would syncing via cloud reselect all the music I have picked to sync with the iphone? I currently have a dedicated folder made up of albusms, etc that automatically sync to teh iphone....would I have to reslect this or does this all come with teh icloud sync?

Sorry, I'm just confused as to how to go about doing this and I have some time before I do so I want to make sure I have it right.

My main concern is really the apps. Would I have to manually select each one I want to install onto my iphone? And would I have to rearrange them on my screens in each of tehir folders the way I have them now or is that part of the icloud sync?

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Just restore from your backup and call it a day. Why put yourself through the frustration. I have been using backups with every iPhone since the iPhone 1. Have not had a single issue that everyone complains about here.

Oh, and just for kicks, I set up my iPhone 5 as new and ran Geekbench. Then erased it and restored from my backup. No difference whatosver and no hiccups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.