Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
I just started realizing I have like 15 cards in my wallet...very annoying, and I wanted to get them in my phone so I didn't have the added thickness...

I have found people recommend cardstar and keyring...whats the difference or is it just preference?

Also, passbook seems like it could make these obsolete, but it requires you to wait for an official app, or use passsource.com, which seems fine, but doesn't guarantee safety of the information you provide, right in the TOS. Granted, my rewards cards aren't credit cards, and don't require Fort Knox safety, but its still good to know, regardless.

Just wondering what you all thought on this subject...what to you, which app, and why?

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
I just tried out Key Ring. I scanned in all my reward/membership cards no problem. The first time I tried to use one at the grocery store, the store scanner couldn't scan the iPhone screen. Add in the fact that I keep all my cards on my actual key ring (since all those cards come with a smaller key ring card) and it's actually slower to access the card on my phone.

If Passbook becomes more robust, it may be useful, but I have a feeling that both Passbook and Key Ring are going to go unused on my phone for quite awhile.

greenchiliman

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
Chicago
This is one of main issues that face digital coupons/loyalty cards/etc is that the actual scanners cannot read a screen. Passbook kinda gets around this as it also stores the card # as well as ticket/coupon # so a cashier can manually enter it and you still use it.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
I have found that screen protectors hurt the ability for scanners to read the screen.

I have tried cardstar and keyring at my local cvs and both got read, I just don't like the clunky UIs, honestly, I love passbook but i don't trust 3rd party passsource.com yet, even with my crap cards

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
I've used keyring for quite some time and have all of my cards in there. Works great. I find most stores that have hand scanners work perfectly well. Thus if you're at the grocery store don't let them scan it on the conveyor belt system, have them pick up the hand scanner that they use to scan items on the bottom of your cart. Works great.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
This is one of main issues that face digital coupons/loyalty cards/etc is that the actual scanners cannot read a screen. Passbook kinda gets around this as it also stores the card # as well as ticket/coupon # so a cashier can manually enter it and you still use it.

I've used keyring for quite some time and have all of my cards in there. Works great. I find most stores that have hand scanners work perfectly well. Thus if you're at the grocery store don't let them scan it on the conveyor belt system, have them pick up the hand scanner that they use to scan items on the bottom of your cart. Works great.

In neither of these cases is having the cards on your phone a time saver. And many times at the grocery store I use the self-checkout so there is no handheld scanner.

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
New York
Keyring is a little slower to use Keyring, but it beats carrying around 10-15 of the little plastic tabs.

I can't figure out how Passbook works. When I search on google, I find a lot of articles noting that people can't figure out how it works, but none that explain it. On one hand, it seems to say that it puts all of the information in one place, but then it seems to just be a way to download a lot of separate apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.