Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage48.png

Screen shot sharing app Skitch was recently updated to version 2.0, but without a number of features that were frequently used by a number of its users.

It received a lot of criticism from for removing features like the ability to minimize the app to the menu bar or to resize images by grabbing the corner of a window. Also, users were no longer able to choose the file format of their screenshots; it could only export .PNG files.

However, Evernote, the company that owns Skitch, has heard the uproar and responded. The company is releasing an updated version of Skitch with a number of changes -- and made Skitch 1.0 available for download again.
Here's a quick overview of the changes:

- Choose your file type: there's now a filetype selector in the Drag Me tab, where you can choose between PNG, JPG, GIF, TIFF, BMP
- Smarter screen snap: you can modify selected area or change it to specific dimensions
- Improved sync options: it gives you control over how/when you save notes to Evernote (Always, Ask, Never ask)
- Flip and rotate: new Image menu options that also get keyboard shortcuts
- Multi-select in the Library: to easily delete unwanted images
- New keyboard shortcuts
- Change arrow directions
- And the old version of Skitch is available for those who still want it
The update has been sent to Apple and should be pushed to the Mac App Store soon. It is a free download. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Skitch Updated With Features Restored; Version 1.0 Made Available Again

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
They removed features? Are they trying to pull a Final Cut Pro X move :)

Glad I put off updating...

Joserodrigo

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
Whats this app for? On sunday im getting my first Mac!! MacBook Air 128gb 8 RAM . I am looking all the apps i am gonna download

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
If I knew this app existed, maybe I shouldn't have made my own app to upload images from clipboard to imageshack...

InstantBackgroundUploader_OS_X-1.png

Hmm, just as I mention it, it seems the imageshack api has changed something and broke it lol.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Never heard of this app. Am I supposed to?

Skitch was (is again?) a staple app for OS X. Used for taking screenshots.

Had a pretty epic drop from a four/five star app to a one star app. Well deserved thrashing on the App Store. They deserved it for ruining the app.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Sure would be nice if they didn't force you to upgrade to the latest version to be able to use the app. :rolleyes: Skitch used to be a favorite of mine, used constantly - the icon has been my avatar for a number of years, in fact. But sometime ago, I opened it up on my eMac one day to have it tell me it needed to update to the latest version to be usable. Seemed like a non-issue, happened every so often. Until it tells me the latest version was no longer compatible with my OS. :( I highly doubt they even support PPC anymore. What ever was wrong with letting us luddites keep our perfectly working versions of this app?

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Screen shot sharing app Skitch was recently updated to version 2.0, but without a number of features that were frequently used by a number of its users.

I think we're going to see this story played out again and again in the brave new world of instant software updates over the net.

Clue to developers: if you do a major re-write and significantly alter the functionality of an applictation don't push the update to users!!! Run the two in parallel for a while. How hard can it be?

The other problem seems to be the rabid desire to go cloud/social network crazy at the expense of everything else. I use Skitch for taking screenshots which usually end up pasted into documents.

To be fair, Skitch is free, so I can forgive them for using it as a loss-leader to promote cloud services. I can think of other examples (the Livescribe smartpens are crippled for anything but personal use by their cloud-centric software, the Logitech Harmony remote is neat, but it will turn into a doorstop if Logitech turn off their servers). Even Plants vs. Zombies disgracefully changed the design of their disco dancer zombie and, more seriously, is now slowly sliding towards pay-to-play (they haven't taken anything away, but you can now pay for extra in-game currency and use it to unlock add-ons which would take an age to 'save up for' otherwise).

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Sure would be nice if they didn't force you to upgrade to the latest version to be able to use the app. :rolleyes: Skitch used to be a favorite of mine, used constantly - the icon has been my avatar for a number of years, in fact. But sometime ago, I opened it up on my eMac one day to have it tell me it needed to update to the latest version to be usable. Seemed like a non-issue, happened every so often. Until it tells me the latest version was no longer compatible with my OS. :( I highly doubt they even support PPC anymore. What ever was wrong with letting us luddites keep our perfectly working versions of this app?

exactly although I had it happen to my old 2006 imac and its running SL. its pathetic way of treating your users. i understood it when it was a beta app but now its beyond me.

is it that hard for a software updater to see if the new version its forcing on you is compatible with your hardware and os? i guess id rather skip updating to face a totally different problem thats stopping me from using an app.

i ended up googling (apologies to those offended) to find past versions.

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
is it that hard for a software updater to see if the new version its forcing on you is compatible with your hardware and os? i guess id rather skip updating to face a totally different problem thats stopping me from using an app.

Unfortunately that seems to be how things are heading.
It happened to me with my ipod touch 1st gen, most apps require iOS5 or later.And I don't hold out a lot of hope for my ipad1.

Apples 'solution' is for you to buy a new device..

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
It happened to me with my ipod touch 1st gen, most apps require iOS5 or later.And I don't hold out a lot of hope for my ipad1.

well im waiting for the imacs. maybe the buyers guide should stop counting in days and go by the ios or iphone versions. apple probably sets their calendar by that cycle.

in both the ios and the mac os. apple creates the ecosystem so ultimately they are responsible for these problems with updating but as you say they want all your devices to be disposable.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009

To be fair, your first gen iPod Touch is now five years old. That's ancient in mobile computing terms - also, it still does everything you bought it for and, in fact, more, since native Apps didn't come along until later.

The iPad 1 has been less well supported for software updates but, even then, it was two and a half years old before it stopped getting the latest OS. Compare that to any other tablet on the market and that's pretty fantastic post sales software support. I saw someone complain about "rapid obsolescence" with the first gen iPad and I wondered if that was really fair. Is two and a half years rapid in mobile computing? And it's not as if it no longer does what it used to do. Why do people expect their old hardware to gain new features, for free, years after they bought it? I don't expect my toaster to gain new features, or my oven.

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
To be fair, your first gen iPod Touch is now five years old. That's ancient in mobile computing terms - also, it still does everything you bought it for and, in fact, more, since native Apps didn't come along until later.

Yes, you are right of course, but I wasn't meaning recently.
Many apps were updated (and no longer worked) a long long time ago. I am not expecting the 1st gen touch to still support the latest and greatest (although I would love for it to do so.)

I subsequently bought a 4Gen and then pre-ordered a 5gen.
I now use it just as a music player...so I am still using it.

I was a bit miffed at the ipad not getting iOS6 though..still I will probably use it until I pick up newer model next year.

I grudgingly accept that that is the way things are, but my biggest complaint (agreeing with Skybell and theluggage) is that the apps no longer work with the device once you upgrade them.

It would be akin to the bread companies stopping selling the bread that fits in your toaster meaning you need a new toaster to use the new universal type of bread. Yes it still toasts..but it doesn't do what it once did. (and you don't expect to have to replace your oven every two years.)

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Yes, you are right of course, but I wasn't meaning recently.
Many apps were updated (and no longer worked) a long long time ago. I am not expecting the 1st gen touch to still support the latest and greatest (although I would love for it to do so.)

I subsequently bought a 4Gen and then pre-ordered a 5gen.
I now use it just as a music player...so I am still using it.

I was a bit miffed at the ipad not getting iOS6 though..still I will probably use it until I pick up newer model next year.

I grudgingly accept that that is the way things are, but my biggest complaint (agreeing with Skybell and theluggage) is that the apps no longer work with the device once you upgrade them.

It would be akin to the bread companies stopping selling the bread that fits in your toaster meaning you need a new toaster to use the new universal type of bread. Yes it still toasts..but it doesn't do what it once did. (and you don't expect to have to replace your oven every two years.)

Yes, that is a bit off. I've never had that happen to me but then I'm a fairly regular upgrader.

The thing that annoys me is when an app starts off as paid and then switches to freemium after you've bought it. I find myself feeling that tweaks to gameplay in subsequent updates are likely to be intended to push people towards in app purchases - making just that little bit harder to complete certain sections or achieve certain goals without purchasing in game currency or additional equipment.

I hate freemium. I've nothing against additional content which you can choose to buy, but I like to know that the game I've purchased (for they are almost always games) is a complete and rounded experience in and of itself and that I won't be left with an unsatisfied feeling at the end because x, y or z features were locked behind pay walls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.