Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mac Otakara posts some photos and a video with hands on a mockup of the rumored iPad Mini. The video isn't particularly revealing, and we've seen video of these mockups before, but provides another frame of reference for the size of such a device. The photo below shows the relative size next to a 15" MacBook Pro.

ipadmini.jpg
Apparently, the models are relatively easy to obtain for approximately 13 USD, according to a previous video report.

The iPad Mini mockup shown on the video reveals a new Lightning port on the bottom of the device, while the headphone jack remains on the top of the device.

The 7.85" iPad Mini has been widely rumored to be approaching launch with reports having suggested that Apple may introduce such a device in October. That rumor came from AllThingsD, which is a traditionally reliable source of Apple event rumors. However, there's been a surprising absence of new rumors about the device as we are heading into October.

Article Link: Another iPad Mini Physical Mockup on Video

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
For the love of god, it's not going to happen. The whole idea seemed ridiculous in the first place.

What resolution would it get, and wasn't the resolution fragmentation something apple wanted to prevent?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
For the love of god, it's not going to happen. The whole idea seemed ridiculous in the first place.

What resolution would it get, and wasn't the resolution fragmentation something apple wanted to prevent?

The only resolution that would make sense is 1024x768, which is the same as the iPad 2

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I think it's real, but I don't think it gets release this year. I could be wrong, but Apple should have priced this iPod touch more aggressively this year of they knew they were going to make a <$300 to compete against it.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Yeppers! Next year! After most of Apples Prosumer and Pro customers have made the jump to the PC.

Cmon Apple, your one of the most wealthy companies in the world.

Dell can update a dozen models every few months.

Are you saying you cant update 2 models in over a year?

If you were going to desert, you would have done it when Apple dropped the word computer from its name.

The writing was on the wall.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
If you were going to desert, you would have done it when Apple dropped the word computer from its name.

The writing was on the wall.

I already have, with the huge amount of hardware failures on my 2011 27in iMac, unless the next iMac, or Mac pro really have something friggen awesome, I am done with Apple, which is a shame, I've bought tons of Macs over the years and loved tons of them, but the last two have been terrible. My PC's have never given me this kinda trouble.

But, Apple has surprised me before ( Like with the G5, I was so tempted when they came out, fresh outta college, paychecks piling up like no tommarow, then the dual 1.8 came out, bought it in an instant, Love that machine to this day, and my Dual 2.7 G5 as well ). So I can hope.

Now apple is obsessed with making iToy crap. Sure it makes them more money, and more power to em.

But its sad that the Mac is dead. And has been dead for some time.

Mac = HEY I GOT AN IDEA. LETS TAKE OSX, TURN IT INTO HALF iOS/OSX AND MAKE IT UNSTABLE. Its totally insane, Windows XP/7/8/OSX/10.3/10.4/10.5/10.6 have not given me 1/2 the trouble OSX 10.7 and 10.8 ( BIG improvement, but still needs work imo ) have.

I miss mah Good Macs. I don't care about an nice looking phone with an oudated OS and a broken Map App, and I don't care about ****** Apple TV, nor do I care about the garbage fake uselss iPad.

Lets here some news about MACS for once. Ya know, real tools for real users? Ya know? The Mac? The product that Put apple on the map?

Last edited:

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
That screen doesn't look 4:3 to me.

Screen is 4:3, you are just used to the iPad having thick bezels on all 4 sides.

I really wish Apple would just make the iPad Mini $399 and use the same quality Retina screen as in the iPad 3. Going for 1024x768 in a 7.85" display when the Kindle Fire HD is 1280x800 and the Nook Tablet HD is 1440x900 is a really noticeable difference, especially in reading. One also wonders if we aren't going to see the A6 pop up as well.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal

People also said the iPhone 5 wasn't going to be called the iPhone 5 and we know how that turned out...

That makes an excellent doorstop!

Not if Apple makes it incredibly thin :p

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
I'm really hoping this is a real product in the near future. I love the smaller tablet size but I can't seem to get into Android.

Chedd

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2012
If this is real, I really hate that the mic isn't on the bottom like the iP5.

arashamedani

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2008
California
I still have NO idea where this would fit in Apple's line up. Say they do go for the 1024*768 on a 7.85 in screen, that would leave them with 163 pixels per inch, the same as the iPhone 3GS. Apple has been riding the Retina Display thing pretty hard lately, I just don't know why they'd release a product without one?

I'm all for the form factor, I'm just confused.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.