Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
same here, it is very noticeble when driving, sometimes it feels like dizziness.

I thought it was just me, but yes, it's very disorienting. Again, not a complaint, just takes some adjusting. It almost sounds like I hear through the phone, if that makes any sense.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I have AT&T, though I doubt the service has anything to do with it. However, if others chime in and say it is only AT&T that gives this feeling, than I sand corrected! :)

I wondered because there was a similar thread where all users were on Verizon.

TahoeDust

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
Wow. I thought I was the only that had experienced this. I have only heard it in my car and it is a little disorienting. It almost felt like my ear wanted to pop like from the pressure change on an airplane. I have AT&T.

My car is kind of loud (GTO), I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Wow. I thought I was the only that had experienced this. I have only heard it in my car and it is a little disorienting. It almost felt like my ear wanted to pop like from the pressure change on an airplane. I have AT&T.

My car is kind of loud (GTO), I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

The car may have something to do with it. I notice it more in my modified VW than I do my stock Audi.

That said, I tend to use Bluetooth in the Audi more often than holding the phone.

TahoeDust

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
This is crazy. First valid complaint I have had with my ip5. Hopefully this can be fixed with a software update.

Paulsullivan79

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
Omg! I thought I was going insane. I kept feeling like I was on an airplane at 30,000 feet everytime I'd talk on the phone. It only happens when I talk for a duration of about 10 seconds. I brought it to apple who looked at me like I was insane, and they swapped the phone worrying about a safety issue. (They did not hear it at all). Low and behold, brought my new phone home and this one does it also!!!!! I'm on AT&T and I have a 32g black iPhone 5. So I can tell you that this isn't a defect, but apple employees don't even know about it yet. I guess it's something we all will have to get used to..... I must say, I absolutely hate it, my ears seriously will ring for about 10 min after talking on the phone. The only other odd thing I've noticed on both phones is a tingling sensation on the tip of my thumb from the screen...... I'm not sure if that one is just me, but the "airplane ears" is obviously happening on all of them. I guess it's this new technology called "iears". Bose speaker technology is going to have a copyright lawsuit shortly ;-) ;-).

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
I hear that too, it's definitely the noise canceling. Some new technique they're using. I believe the back microphone picks up ambient sound and reproduces it "the other way round" on the main microphone (the one you put to your ear) to wipe out ambient noise.

I don't think anyone should take his iPhone 5 back because of this. It's simply the way it works, you will get used to it.

I noticed it when making calls while walking outside on a windy day. Noise canceling would kick in and give this "ear popping" sensation. It's weird at first, but then you notice that it's indeed canceling out ambient noise, which is a good thing.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I have felt it, it feels like a slight pressure in your ear.

I kind of wish you could turn it off when ambient noise is below a certain level. In crowded places I don't mind as I can actually hear the other person more clearly, but when I am just around my house it feels weird, and I don't need cancellation in that case anyways...

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I've noticed but only when in a loud environment. I was impressed how well I could still hear the other person though.

cgary

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2012
same problem !

I just received my iphone 5 yesterday and have been experiencing same issue. I have asked other iphone users and they looked at me like I was crazy. I could not figure out why I was only experiencing it while driving. I was planning on bringing it back tomorrow for a new one but sounds like it's not a defect after all.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Effecting iPhones for both my wife and I. Seems like this is something that should have a software toggle to turn it on and off. Been using it now for a week and it doesn't seem like we're getting used to it.

Wife is seriously considering a move to a Galaxy S3 because of it. So far a bluetooth solution in the car seems to be keeping her at bay.

wiestlingjr

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
I would suggest swapping it. I had the same exact issues, got a replacement, and don't notice it at all with this one.

ctc799

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
USA
I only notice this is louder rooms as well. Whenever it kicks on the call quality is great in noisy places, so I find it a fine trade-off for the funny feeling.

murphmobile

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
The weird feeling from noise cancellation.

I've read some posts from people saying that they use BOSE noise cancelling headphones and it doesn't feel weird like the iPhone. It has to do with the fact that you are cancelling the noise in one ear while your other ear is hearing the noise in the room at full power. Your brain doesn't like the imbalance and therefore it feels weird. Try listening to your BOSE headphones only on one ear, it will feel the same.

Delius

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
...don't like it at all, feels really weird and uncomfortable!

hopefully there will be a possibility to turn this 'feature' off soon...

morg0052

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2007
I have been having the exact same issues described here, has anyone talked with apple and gotten an answer if it is "fixable"

Crisu

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2012
Maybe this is a solution?!

Perhaps this could help you:

Please give it a try and activate the option "Hearing Aid Mode".

You can find it here:
"Settings" -> "General" -> "Accessibility" -> "Hearing Aids"

I couldn't test it yet, but I have read that activating the option "Hearing Aid Mode" should remove the curios feeling while having a call with the iPhone 5.
Perhaps this option deactivates the microphone at the backside of the iPhone5?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.