Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I'm not going to say "it'll never happen" because the iPhone 4S and the naming of the iPhone 5 were both surprises to me :)

However, with both the iPod touch and iPhone 5 there were a ton of leaks. People dug into the SDK and found the 4" iPhone's screen size.

With the new Macs at WWDC there were leaks: Remember the disappointing Macbook Pro specs? The rumours of a Retina MacBook Pro? Both turned out to be true.

Yet there's been virtually nothing about the iPad mini - it just seems like everyone WANTS it to happen.

The iPhone 5 runs all previous iPhone apps "like the developer intended" - how would the iPad mini do this with iPad apps?

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
http://www.digitalspy.com/tech/news/a401082/google-nexus-7-sales-tipped-to-surpass-8m-units.html

If they really do sell 8 million units by the end of the year, thats amazing, considering its a hard to find product unless you look online ( looks like most major retailers won't even carry it ).

Thanks for the link.

That's exactly the type of report I was referring to earlier... nothin' but estimates:

• Google's Nexus 7 tablet is on course to shift more than 8 million units in 2012, according to sales estimates.

• The website believes that the search engine giant will sell 3 million Nexus 7 units in the third quarter, and between 3 and 5 million in in the fourth, which would see the device exceed Google's targets. <-- (what are those targets?)

• The platform holder is hoping to sell 3 million Nexus 7 tablets in 2012.
So... there are analysts who predicted a certain number of sales by a certain date. Fantastic.

But after that date... will we get verification?

Are we just supposed to accept the estimates written in an article 3 months prior... and turn those into facts?

I realize the Nexus 7 has only been on the market for a couple months. All we can do is predict going forward through 2012.

BUT.... unless Google, Inc puts out a press release on January 1, 2013 with ACTUAL numbers about how many they sold in 2012... then the analysts can shove those numbers up their ass :)

Then again... Amazon has NEVER shared their sales numbers of the Kindle... so I guess that makes it OK?

KTF

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
New York City
Whether it happens or not.. I am sick and tired of this rumor. Don't care, won't buy, won't even mention it in a conversation. What's with this constant need to throw rumors based on stupid MOCKUPS? Not a little bit informative.
i think you care!

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
Forget the ipad mini its not going to happen at all there just rumours floating around the internet just believe it when you see it at the conference

!!!Talk Cheap on the internet!!!

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010
unless you have a photo of a genuine part from the iPad mini....
stop posting this crap MacRumors!!

World Citizen

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
I think we firt get a larger iPad... with the screen size of the iPhone 5...
So we have iPhone iPod and iPad in the same size...

After a while we get the TV with a nice "iPad mini" remote....

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
After having tested Google Nexus 7 i have not doubts that Apple needs to confront this size. Personally I think iPad 3 is a tad too heavy/thick. When holding Nexus 7 - albeit very plastic - it is obvious that this size (around 7") has a purpose.

The same way I strongly believe Apple need to differentiate their iPhone catalogue. With iPhone 5 they've practically done that. One 4" and one 3.5" iPhone. But imagine an iPhone Nano similar to the iPod Nano. Then I would have one iPhone Nano and one iPad Mini. With that line-up:

iPad
iPad Mini

iPhone 5 (4") performance and size
iPhone 4 (3,5") medium and cheap
iPhone Nano (3") superslim but not a performance monster.

Apple totally dominates the MP3-player market simply because good differentiation. They will 'loose' the iPhone/iPad market if the don't differentiate similarly as with their iPod-lineup.

HavocLink

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2012
Where would this fit in Apple's product line-up? The (current) iPad starts at $499 and the (new) iPod Touch starts at $299, meaning that iPad mini would have to start in the $399 range. Problem is, Apple sells the older gen. iPad at that price. If they price the iPad mini lower than $399, say $299, then who would ever want to get an iPod Touch?

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
I don't think this is a mock up at all.

It's a regular iPad, and the guy in the video just has super small hands.

blewyn

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2009
Looking forward to this. I'd like to switch from laptop to iPad but the iPad's just not versatile enough and they're too heavy to carry together. My money is ready and waiting....

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
I thought the Nexus 7 was a bit tiny. I like my iPad because I can do 'dekstop like' browsing, a 7" tablet is still a bit cramped, and when it's cramped I'd prefer my phone.

However, the iPad Mini is rumoured to be 7.85". Personally I think that is the sweet spot for a smaller tablet. I really hope Apple releases such a device at a relatively agressive price (say, $349?). It would crush the competition, even though it's more expensive than the Nexus 7 or Kindle.

iPads are so popular and the momentum of this product line is huge. I think most people know the word 'iPad' better than 'tablet'. Apple should retain this image and an iPad Mini can help doing so.

Akarin

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2011
Nyon, Switzerland
Having an iPad 3 and an iPhone 5, buying an "iPad mini" will be hard to justify... ...but I will find a justification.. just need to work on the wording :D

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Where would this fit in Apple's product line-up? The (current) iPad starts at $499 and the (new) iPod Touch starts at $299, meaning that iPad mini would have to start in the $399 range. Problem is, Apple sells the older gen. iPad at that price. If they price the iPad mini lower than $399, say $299, then who would ever want to get an iPod Touch?

You need to separate price and form factor...

If you're in the market for a pocket-sized music player... you won't be looking at a 7" tablet.

And vice-versa.

They might have the same price... but they offer far different capabilities.

Plus... you're talking about the top-of-the-line iPod Touch... and the entry-level iPad Mini. And again... they are in two different product categories.

$199 - Old iPod Touch 16GB 3.5"
$299 - New iPod Touch 32GB 4"

$299 - iPad Mini 16GB 7"
$399 - Old iPad 16GB 10"
$499 - New iPad 16GB 10" Retina

But having said all that... I'm guessing this will be the last major revision of the iPod Touch.

17 million iPads last quarter versus 4 million iPod Touches. Or in other words... 4 times as many tablets as PMPs.

I expect Apple to expand further into the tablet space and focus less on PMPs.

p2MJk.jpg

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
this can only create a small group of frustrated individuals riddled by indecisiveness

Not really... did you read what I said about them being in two different categories of devices?

You're not gonna buy a tablet to listen to music at the gym :)

CindyRed

macrumors member
May 26, 2011
Here are a few questions:

If you can get an iPhone for $200 USD (plus contract), 4" iPod Touch for $300 USD, a 9.7" wifi iPad for $500 USD and a LTE iPad for $630 USD where would the mini iPad fit in? I mean, each of those products perform VERY different tasks, at their respective price points. Wouldn't a $400 USD 7" product just start cannibalizing the $300 and $500 tiers at that price point? It seems to me that the 7" market is a VERY specific market. One could argue their own personal need, but that doesn't account for the needs of millions. One could also assume Apple would discontinue one, or both of the pre-existing tiers, but that's highly unlikely. Of course, Apple may price it at a price that still makes the other solutions attractive, like $550 for a LTE only mini iPad, but who's going to pay over $500 for a 7" tablet? Sorry, but I don't see a vanilla 7" iPad as unique enough from the existing products to justify a new tier in the product line. It doesn't make sense to me. I think I'd expect an Apple television before I'd expect a mini iPad. Unless, the mini iPad introduces a bevy of new features, like it makes coffee and sandwiches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.