Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flatrockdam

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2008
Think differently

Apple may be ignoring the Mac world, but not just because the iPad and iPhone are so much more lucrative. Apple knows that the future contains a new class of devices we haven't yet seen that integrate the power of touch devices with the power of traditional desktop hardware.

You may be done with Apple, but Apple is not done reinventing what's possible. Stay tuned.

I already have, with the huge amount of hardware failures on my 2011 27in iMac, unless the next iMac, or Mac pro really have something friggen awesome, I am done with Apple, which is a shame, I've bought tons of Macs over the years and loved tons of them, but the last two have been terrible. My PC's have never given me this kinda trouble.

But, Apple has surprised me before ( Like with the G5, I was so tempted when they came out, fresh outta college, paychecks piling up like no tommarow, then the dual 1.8 came out, bought it in an instant, Love that machine to this day, and my Dual 2.7 G5 as well ). So I can hope.

Now apple is obsessed with making iToy crap. Sure it makes them more money, and more power to em.

But its sad that the Mac is dead. And has been dead for some time.

Mac = HEY I GOT AN IDEA. LETS TAKE OSX, TURN IT INTO HALF iOS/OSX AND MAKE IT UNSTABLE. Its totally insane, Windows XP/7/8/OSX/10.3/10.4/10.5/10.6 have not given me 1/2 the trouble OSX 10.7 and 10.8 ( BIG improvement, but still needs work imo ) have.

I miss mah Good Macs. I don't care about an nice looking phone with an oudated OS and a broken Map App, and I don't care about ****** Apple TV, nor do I care about the garbage fake uselss iPad.

Lets here some news about MACS for once. Ya know, real tools for real users? Ya know? The Mac? The product that Put apple on the map?

MCP-511

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2010
I bet $10 its the current iPad but just some dude with unusually large hands. There's no other point of reference in the video. :p

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Apple may be ignoring the Mac world, but not just because the iPad and iPhone are so much more lucrative. Apple knows that the future contains a new class of devices we haven't yet seen that integrate the power of touch devices with the power of traditional desktop hardware.

You may be done with Apple, but Apple is not done reinventing what's possible. Stay tuned.

The fact is, for the foreseeable future, you will never get true desktop performance out of a tablet or phone.

And I don't want intergratation of touch/desktops. Because touch is crap for desktops.

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
I already have, with the huge amount of hardware failures on my 2011 27in iMac, unless the next iMac, or Mac pro really have something friggen awesome, I am done with Apple, which is a shame, I've bought tons of Macs over the years and loved tons of them, but the last two have been terrible. My PC's have never given me this kinda trouble.

But, Apple has surprised me before ( Like with the G5, I was so tempted when they came out, fresh outta college, paychecks piling up like no tommarow, then the dual 1.8 came out, bought it in an instant, Love that machine to this day, and my Dual 2.7 G5 as well ). So I can hope.

Now apple is obsessed with making iToy crap. Sure it makes them more money, and more power to em.

Mac = HEY I GOT AN IDEA. LETS TAKE OSX, TURN IT INTO HALF iOS/OSX AND MAKE IT UNSTABLE. Its totally insane, Windows XP/7/8/OSX/10.3/10.4/10.5/10.6 have not given me 1/2 the trouble OSX 10.7 and 10.8 ( BIG improvement, but still needs work imo ) have.

I miss mah Good Macs. I don't care about an nice looking phone with an oudated OS and a broken Map App, and I don't care about ****** Apple TV, nor do I care about the garbage fake uselss iPad.

Lets here some news about MACS for once. Ya know, real tools for real users? Ya know? The Mac? The product that Put apple on the map?

The Mac put Apple on the map? Hmmm...you could just as easily argue that it was the iPod and iTunes digital music sales that made Apple into what it is today.

o0jelly0o

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
The fact is, for the foreseeable future, you will never get true desktop performance out of a tablet or phone.

And I don't want intergratation of touch/desktops. Because touch is crap for desktops.

Something like 99.8% of people do not need desktop power in their mobile device. Also 99.8% of people don't need powerful desktop computers. 99.8% of people randomly surf the web, watch videos, and spend their days on facebook. This takes next to no processing power. End of story.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
The Mac put Apple on the map? Hmmm...you could just as easily argue that it was the iPod and iTunes digital music sales that made Apple into what it is today.

Yes, the Mac is what Apple was. See, before Apple made toys to play angry birds on, they made things called " desktop computers " were content and work was performed.

Now they're a toy company.

iPod was garbage.
iTunes is crap

No more toys.

I want my real Macs back.

Last edited:

Macdick

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
iPad Mini

It′s Fake ! Just look on that design so old looking from the back, Apple will never release that type!

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Never heard of something called a bluetooth headset? ;)

I can see the ipad-mini combining with a dumbphone. Use the phone for basic calls/sms, while your ipad does the rest (gaming/surfing/email etc). Not sure if this necessarily cannibalises sales.

never heard of such bluesbooth, sorry (stupid grin :D )

to the day, the only practical use I have found of the ipad to me, is the one I bought for my grandma (she roKs)

flatrockdam

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2008
iPad mini crushes competition

The mockup may make a great doorstop. The iPad mini, however, will create the standard for tablets. When it's released the rest of the players will look like the fast runners behind Usain Bolt at the Olympics.

I bought Google's Nexus 7 tablet manufactured by Asus. Great form factor. Perfect weight and size for reading, email, etc. But the Android OS is sloppy and buggy. The Google Play App Store doesn't have most of the crucial apps I depend upon for productivity. The hardware is flimsy and quality control is poor. The screen on mine popped out from the frame, clicking with each touch and distorting the light and images on screen. And try reading with the lights out: even the lowest light with white text on black hurt my eyes so much I could only read briefly.
At $199, the 8gb Nexus 7 is overpriced. I returned the Nexus 7.

The iPad mini will be coming out. The only two questions are when and what price.

If Apple announces an iPad mini in October it owns the tablet market for the holidays. The only reason not to announce then is if it's not really ready.

The iPad mini will be a game-changer for consumers, for Apple, and for the competition. Students, for instance, will love this device for e-books, entertainment and even basic portable computer functions. Anyone who has wanted to buy an iPad but couldn't afford it will either buy the mini or regret buying a Kindle, Nook, or Nexus 7.

Android is incredibly innovative and is ahead of Apple in some areas, lie facial recognition (love it!), voice recognition for so many languages, and superior maps. Google will give Apple a run for its money. The competition will be great for consumers because it will force more creativity. Right now, though, iOS is simply the most mature tablet platform and ecosystem available. And Apple has integrated iOS in brilliantly-designed hardware. Apple will still be able to charge a premium for the iPad mini because buying anything else now will be a waste of money.

Until there's a Nexus 7 for $99, or until Android grows up, an iPad mini may really offer the best value.

That makes an excellent doorstop!

Dur

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2012
Wisconsin
I don't see the point of an iPad mini. Isn't that what an iPod touch/ iPhone is for? The iPad is the correct size already.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
The mockup may make a great doorstop. The iPad mini, however, will create the standard for tablets. When it's released the rest of the players will look like the fast runners behind Usain Bolt at the Olympics.

While I believe much of what you say is hyperbole, there's a bit of truth in that an iPad Mini (if priced competitively) may own the 7" market.

And while I'm not sure a 7" tablet is any more useful or convenient than a 10" one, there obviously is a growing market for it.

I doubt that 90% of the tablet buying population would even notice a lower resolution iPad Mini (if it were not retina) and would simply buy it based on the Apple brand/ecosystem.

That said, if it were priced at $349 or some ridiculous price, they may find the competition not far behind.

iAco

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
I know you mean "Man, I don't know about that!"

How come the way you say it is so much cooler?

----------

Ah, the word 'yay', no matter how I look at it, it doesn't look right.

I'm sticking with 'yeah' even though you think that means 'yeah' which is spelled the same but pronounced differently.

What's up with you?

It's cooler because that's how it sounds when said.

Stop being a lamer.

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
Honestly i dont care about iPad's mini form factor. Ok it will be cheaper than the 10" iPad but expect that there is no other reason to prefer it over the 10" inch. The main disadvantage of the 10" inch is weight and thickness.... i hope iPad 4 will solve that and then it will be a no brainer choice (for those who dont care about price).

Brad L

macrumors member
May 25, 2011
It's not going to have google maps, so why bother? It will be inferior to all other android tablets.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL

...slow clap...

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Yes, the Mac is what Apple was. See, before Apple made toys to play angry birds on, they made things called " desktop computers " were content and work was performed.

Now they're a toy company.

iPod was garbage.
iTunes is crap

No more toys.

I want my real Macs back.

Oh please...this argument is just banal. Modern Macs would run circles around your "real Macs," and if Apple wanted to be anything other than a niche computer builder, it had to expand into other markets. Where do you think all the money that is invested in Macs/OSX comes from? These "toys" gave Apple the capital it needed to disrupt the entire tech industry and gave Apple the exposure it needed to expand the Mac lineup.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
I suspect your feelings here are misplaced.

The reality is that Mac sales aren't doing too bad. The problem is that Apple has ignored the desktop while producing some really nifty laptops.

I already have, with the huge amount of hardware failures on my 2011 27in iMac, unless the next iMac, or Mac pro really have something friggen awesome, I am done with Apple, which is a shame,
All makes of computers have their problem child's. I'm not saying a lemon is a good thing to have, but that you shouldn't judge Apple based on your experiences with one machine alone.
I've bought tons of Macs over the years and loved tons of them, but the last two have been terrible. My PC's have never given me this kinda trouble.
That really means nothing. I have an old MBP that has taken a beating but is still running where other machines would have died or required major repairs. Sometime it is very much the luck of the draw. In the past I've had to deal with more than a few flaky PC motherboards, sometimes it is difficult to even nail down a problem to the motherboard. Early SATA motherboards being notorious is just an indicator that sometimes the hardware isn't ready yet.
Frankly I believe that Apple has literally shot themselves in the foot, dragging their heels when it comes to innovating the desktop line up. I hold out hope too, for one all three desktop concepts need to be revisited. The iMac has been a joke for years and frankly I could never grasp why people even bothered with it. The Mini is an interesting concept that might come into its own with Haswell but it isn't and likely never will be the machine for people needing decent performance. Which brings us to XMac the model Apple doesn't seem to realize it needs. They need a midrange desktop machine, I don't care if it is built in a cube, ball or some free form shape, it just needs to offer a decent CPU and respectable GPU performance.

The last interesting machine would be the replacement for the current Pro. I'm really looking forward to a major overhaul here with Apple implementing Xeon Phi. This would blast the Pro forward with state of the art workstation capabilities.
This point of view is assinine! The problem at Apple is that all Mac efforts have gone into the laptops. This has resulted in a very stale desktop line up. Yes they are going after the trend that is strongest, which is good for the bottom line, but it does leave desktop users feeling abandoned.
Again assinine when you consider the bleeding edge laptops out there.
What sort of problems? 10.8 is probably the nicest OS/X yet.
Your concerns about the desktop line up may be justified but your comments about the iOS devices is just ignorant. Frankly I find iOS devices becoming more useful every day. No they are not a replacement for a Mac, at times though they are far better devices than traditional computers.

You know I share your concern here in a way. The desktop has been ignored! For example there is no reason to ignore the Mini and an Ivy Bridge update which should of happened months ago. I've never given a damn about iMac as current designs are too much of a joke. Given that I really want to see a desktop slotted between the Mini and the Pro. It should be pretty obvious to Apple that the Pro serves a different crowd than most Mac users hang in. Why they continue to shove a crap machine like iMac down people's throats is beyond me. By the way I'm not against all in ones per say, I'm against compromised machines like the current batch of iMacs.

Why do I say compromised? Design decisions with respect to the current iMacs have lead to things like special order hard drives and a general poor serviceability. It has the appearance of an ignorant marketing team dictating to engineering design elements that should be left to engineers. Marketing professionals should be left to their drunken parties and DWI convictions, staying away from anything engineering related.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.