Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
I have to say this is garbage!

Couldn't agree more... :-(

I absolutely hate Apple becoming an iDevice company. I no longer consider OS X to be a superior system.

IOS devices have made Mac OS even more valuable for me. The integration is a huge advantage for Apple. It not only makes OS/X superior to anything out there, but gives me significant options with respect to what hardware I need to take with me. I just took a short trip with just an iPad and iPhone, that in the past would have required a laptop and questionable connectivity.

Beyond all of that your hate is at best immature as you are apparently blinded to the best laptop machines in the industry. I don't denying that Apple is screwing the pooch with respect to the desktop. That should almost be obvious but they certainly are not ignoring OS/X or Macs more generally.

I really don't know what is up with respect to the desktop lineup. I do have significant hope that this is a transition year to new architectures and hopefully a refactoring of the hardware to reflect a wider scope of user interests. I could very well be wrong and we could end up with the same compromised designs for the next year or so. It is well past time to overhaul the desktop though. So in a way I do see Apple operating on borrowed time if you are a desktop user. However OS/X is still very much a superior operating system and is delightfully proven out on the laptops.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Theirs been a surprising absence if new rumours eh?

Hmmmm I wonder if that's possibly because IT DOESN'T EXIST!!!

Seriously, ONLY the Internet tech blogs have believed this rumour and fed it and all with no hard evidence what so ever. And considering we all knew what the iPhone 5 looked like months ago I think it's safe to say Apple are NOT going to launch a 7.85" iPad. All because they cannot price it to sell! IMO

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Apple may be ignoring the Mac world, but not just because the iPad and iPhone are so much more lucrative. Apple knows that the future contains a new class of devices we haven't yet seen that integrate the power of touch devices with the power of traditional desktop hardware.

You may be done with Apple, but Apple is not done reinventing what's possible. Stay tuned.

You mean, like the touchscreen Windows 8 laptops coming to market about now? :D

Apple better have something similar soon -- it really should have been done in Mountain Lion.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
You are looking at this to simplistically.

The reality is it fits right between the Touch and the iPad. This should be obvious.

Concerns about cannibalization is unwarranted, it is better to get a piece of the 7" pie than to loose any sales to competing products. Beyond that there is a relatively huge market for this size device. I would suspect that such an iPad would be an even bigger hit with business.

Beyond that price point means nothing. Seriously people will either see value in the device or they won't. Those that don't buy something else. In the end such an iPad can only result in a net gain in sales.

To put it another way, should Chevy manufacture only Impalas and Silverados and tell the rest of its customer base to go take a hike? Or should Apple stop making the 11" inch AIR and tell those users to go take a hike or buy the 13".

Now you may say, Apple did that with the 17" laptop. True, they did, but products run their course and eventually demand dies out. In this case I can see Apple easily generating Mini iPad sales that far outstrip the 17" MBP. It frankly is no different than most iPod sales now going to the Touch, consumers vote with their money. The only difference here is that the market for music players is still strong enough that they continue development of the Nano and like machines. Eventually iPods will be replaced with other devices too. In the end you either move with the markets and offer up what technology allows or you die off as a company.

I don't understand where this fits into the apple inc product line...won't an "iPad mini" cannibalize the iPod touch and the bigger iPad's sales? Consumers who can't afford an iPad will buy an iPad mini & people that want an iPod touch will say I might as well get an iPad mini (if the price point is similar)

davidmartindale

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2011
PNW, USA
Hmm

This doesn't exactly have to do with this. But Apple seems to be losing their nuts and bolts a bit. With iOS 6 the interface changes so much its hard to believe its all the same OS, thats been happening is Mac OS X as well. And then the iPhone 5... I like it but it's not cool that the black models anodized aluminum scratches so easily. I don't think Tim Cook cares as much about the product as he does the profit. Sorry Steve but I think you chose the wrong guy.

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
Bet the iPad mini won't have Retina display. Then in iPad mini 2 they'll introduce Retina display.

Which only means one thing, fragmentation!!

----------

This doesn't exactly have to do with this. But Apple seems to be losing their nuts and bolts a bit. With iOS 6 the interface changes so much its hard to believe its all the same OS, thats been happening is Mac OS X as well. And then the iPhone 5... I like it but it's not cool that the black models anodized aluminum scratches so easily. I don't think Tim Cook cares as much about the product as he does the profit. Sorry Steve but I think you chose the wrong guy.
I'm sure Jony Ive cares about the products as much as Steve did. Heck I've read that Jony Ive was given more power by Steve than anyone at Apple.

But I've been questioning this since the release of the 5. It seemed that the Apple characteristics were missing.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Personally I never saw a need for the iPad, but at the right price I might be interested in a Mini version... but I really want/need a 2012 iMac, at this point I'd even take an updated Mac Mini!

Last edited:

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
The reality is that Mac sales aren't doing too bad. The problem is that Apple has ignored the desktop while producing some really nifty laptops.

Besides the RMBP whats so nifty about them? And even the RMBP only has a high res screen, no optical drive, no expansion, and not even a Ethernet port, are you ******** me Apple?

All makes of computers have their problem child's. I'm not saying a lemon is a good thing to have, but that you shouldn't judge Apple based on your experiences with one machine alone.

Ive never had a computer with this many issues in my entire life. And I've owned well over 30 computers, none of them have had the kind of heat, optical drive, and hard drive issues that thing thing has.

There is no reason a 3200 dollar computer should be a POS.

That really means nothing. I have an old MBP that has taken a beating but is still running where other machines would have died or required major repairs. Sometime it is very much the luck of the draw. In the past I've had to deal with more than a few flaky PC motherboards, sometimes it is difficult to even nail down a problem to the motherboard. Early SATA motherboards being notorious is just an indicator that sometimes the hardware isn't ready yet.

I'd rather have hardware that isnt ready yet and has a couple bugs, then taking a machine back to the Apple store 3 times in one year.

innovating the desktop line up. I hold out hope too, for one all three desktop concepts need to be revisited. The iMac has been a joke for years and frankly I could never grasp why people even bothered with it. The Mini is an interesting concept that might come into its own with Haswell but it isn't and likely never will be the machine for people needing decent performance. Which brings us to XMac the model Apple doesn't seem to realize it needs. They need a midrange desktop machine, I don't care if it is built in a cube, ball or some free form shape, it just needs to offer a decent CPU and respectable GPU performance.

The last interesting machine would be the replacement for the current Pro. I'm really looking forward to a major overhaul here with Apple implementing Xeon Phi. This would blast the Pro forward with state of the art workstation capabilities.

Apple shouldn't bother, all their pro customers jumped ship 2 years ago.

This point of view is assinine! The problem at Apple is that all Mac efforts have gone into the laptops. This has resulted in a very stale desktop line up. Yes they are going after the trend that is strongest, which is good for the bottom line, but it does leave desktop users feeling abandoned.

Sure it is, but its true. They dump all their resources into the toys.

Again assinine when you consider the bleeding edge laptops out there.

Apple is not on the bleeding edge of laptop performance.

What sort of problems? 10.

10.8 is much better. For me, its almost like 10.7, but without all the horrible memory leak, buggy UI and kernal panic issues. Its still garbage.

Your concerns about the desktop line up may be justified but your comments about the iOS devices is just ignorant. Frankly I find iOS devices becoming more useful every day. No they are not a replacement for a Mac, at times though they are far better devices than traditional computers.

For me personally, I think all the iDevices are garbage. Through and through, I'll take a Mac, or a PC over any iToy.

You know I share your concern here in a way. The desktop has been ignored! For example there is no reason to ignore the Mini and an Ivy Bridge update which should of happened months ago. I've never given a damn about iMac as current designs are too much of a joke. Given that I really want to see a desktop slotted between the Mini and the Pro. It should be pretty obvious to Apple that the Pro serves a different crowd than most Mac users hang in. Why they continue to shove a crap machine like iMac down people's throats is beyond me. By the way I'm not against all in ones per say, I'm against compromised machines like the current batch of iMacs.

Sure there is a reason, Apple knows a large number of its customer base are complete idiots, and will buy anything that says Apple on it, why update when you can sell old hardware, make huge profit, and the sheep love it?

Why do I say compromised? Design decisions with respect to the current iMacs have lead to things like special order hard drives and a general poor serviceability. It has the appearance of an ignorant marketing team dictating to engineering design elements that should be left to engineers. Marketing professionals should be left to their drunken parties and DWI convictions, staying away from anything engineering related.

Apple puts function over form, they have for a long time now.

Look at the new RMBP, can't expand the ram, can't easily replace the drive, can't even swap out your own battery.

Junk, through and through.

Apple has gone from making high quailty machines, to making junk.

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal
What a waste of time.

----------

Besides the RMBP whats so nifty about them? And even the RMBP only has a high res screen, no optical drive, no expansion, and not even a Ethernet port, are you ******** me Apple?

Ive never had a computer with this many issues in my entire life. And I've owned well over 30 computers, none of them have had the kind of heat, optical drive, and hard drive issues that thing thing has.

There is no reason a 3200 dollar computer should be a POS.

I'd rather have hardware that isnt ready yet and has a couple bugs, then taking a machine back to the Apple store 3 times in one year.

Apple shouldn't bother, all their pro customers jumped ship 2 years ago.

Sure it is, but its true. They dump all their resources into the toys.

Apple is not on the bleeding edge of laptop performance.

10.8 is much better. For me, its almost like 10.7, but without all the horrible memory leak, buggy UI and kernal panic issues. Its still garbage.

For me personally, I think all the iDevices are garbage. Through and through, I'll take a Mac, or a PC over any iToy.

Sure there is a reason, Apple knows a large number of its customer base are complete idiots, and will buy anything that says Apple on it, why update when you can sell old hardware, make huge profit, and the sheep love it?

Apple puts function over form, they have for a long time now.

Look at the new RMBP, can't expand the ram, can't easily replace the drive, can't even swap out your own battery.

Junk, through and through.

Apple has gone from making high quailty machines, to making junk.

You'z trollin'

Philalbe

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
Greater Boston Area
Yes, the Mac is what Apple was. See, before Apple made toys to play angry birds on, they made things called " desktop computers " were content and work was performed.

Now they're a toy company.

iPod was garbage.
iTunes is crap

No more toys.

I want my real Macs back.

With all due politeness, I don't know how you can say that the "iPod was garbage". I know Apple didn't invent the MP3 player, but they certainly improved upon it. iPods have given music lovers like myself, a way to carry their audio libraries wherever they go.

As far as iOS devices are concerned, I wouldn't exactly call them "toys". Sure they can be primarily used for games and media consumption, but they also function as PDAs, ereaders and communication devices.

Not sure what the gripe is with modern day Macs either? We may not have seen much innovation with the iMac or Mac Pro in awhile, but they are still powerful computers, as are apple's laptops. Even the ultra thin MBA is capable of relatively heavy duty tasks. I use mine for everything from editing music to working on professional graphic design projects.

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
It's not gonna happen.. and if it does, I will absolutely hate the idea.

Apple never tries to enter an already existing market. They create the market and then they dominate it. They would not do this because it is already done and it is so unoriginal.

Besides, screen size/resolution would complicate things even further. Now they have to manager pre-4S iPhones, iPhone 5, iPad 3, iPad 2, and plus this smaller iPad.

It simply makes no sense.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
With all due politeness, I don't know how you can say that the "iPod was garbage". I know Apple didn't invent the MP3 player, but they certainly improved upon it. iPods have given music lovers like myself, a way to carry their audio libraries wherever they go.

For me it was garbage, because at the time, my Gateway DMPX20, had more storage space, better battery life, could play more fire formats, and basically the same interface ( ya know, the one Apple store from creative ), and cost less money, but for some reason, everyone said " OMFG IPOD YAY ".

I think it was garbage, because it was inferior in every single way to the Mp3 players I owned at the time ( not just the DMP, I had a couple )

As far as iOS devices are concerned, I wouldn't exactly call them "toys". Sure they can be primarily used for games and media consumption, but they also function as PDAs, ereaders and communication devices.

Besides the iPhone, which I think is a great phone for lots of people, I had a 3GS and loved it, but then the Android makers started pulling ahead imo.

The iPad for example, it just an overpriced giant smart phone imo, I can find much better performance, and functionally in a tablet PC.

Not sure what the gripe is with modern day Macs either? We may not have seen much innovation with the iMac or Mac Pro in awhile, but they are still powerful computers, as are apple's laptops. Even the ultra thin MBA is capable of relatively heavy duty tasks. I use mine for everything from editing music to working on professional graphic design projects.

My gripe? The fact that for the most part, my macs have been good over the years, then I get this 3200 dollar iMac, and its been a complete pile of ****. Why is a 3200 machine having any problems? I understood the first time, **** happens, but going back over and over again to correct problems that shouldn't exist? What the hell is that?

No, Apple computers are not powerful in the grand scheme of things, you can get much more powerful Laptops and desktops from other companies. Though there was a time when the Mac performed as well as the PC, but that time is gone.

Maybe I'm old school, but I miss the days going to buy a mac, when I knew it would be fast, reliable, powerful, and just a joy to use. They have always complimented my Windows and Linux machines nicely, Imo those days are over.

----------

It's not gonna happen.. and if it does, I will absolutely hate the idea.

Apple never tries to enter an already existing market. They create the market and then they dominate it. They would not do this because it is already done and it is so unoriginal.

Besides, screen size/resolution would complicate things even further. Now they have to manager pre-4S iPhones, iPhone 5, iPad 3, iPad 2, and plus this smaller iPad.

It simply makes no sense.

Because a small form factor tablet would make Apple lots of money, people will buy anythign with the Apple logo on it.

And Apple is a company, their number 1 goal is to make money, so yes. It makes perfect sense for them.

I don't Hate apple, I just hate their current product line, I've been buying Macs for 15 years now, and I've loved most of them, but this new stuff is ugh,

Last edited:

trainspotter

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012
What is the model of the Macbook pro in the picture? I loved this model, the way it felt and everything about it.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
People complain that the iPhone is too small and that they want a larger phone, now people complain that the iPad is too large and that they want a smaller tablet. Make up your damn minds.

If Apple were to ever release an iPad mini , they would release it in March with the new iPad, not in October. The iPad mini could be a dumbed down version of the iPad (like the iPod is to the iPhone). The iPad mini could be smaller, with last generation processor/GPU.

Philalbe

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
Greater Boston Area
For me it was garbage, because at the time, my Gateway DMPX20, had more storage space, better battery life, could play more fire formats, and basically the same interface ( ya know, the one Apple store from creative ), and cost less money, but for some reason, everyone said " OMFG IPOD YAY ".

I think it was garbage, because it was inferior in every single way to the Mp3 players I owned at the time ( not just the DMP, I had a couple )

Besides the iPhone, which I think is a great phone for lots of people, I had a 3GS and loved it, but then the Android makers started pulling ahead imo.

The iPad for example, it just an overpriced giant smart phone imo, I can find much better performance, and functionally in a tablet PC.

My gripe? The fact that for the most part, my macs have been good over the years, then I get this 3200 dollar iMac, and its been a complete pile of ****. Why is a 3200 machine having any problems? I understood the first time, **** happens, but going back over and over again to correct problems that shouldn't exist? What the hell is that?

No, Apple computers are not powerful in the grand scheme of things, you can get much more powerful Laptops and desktops from other companies. Though there was a time when the Mac performed as well as the PC, but that time is gone.

Maybe I'm old school, but I miss the days going to buy a mac, when I knew it would be fast, reliable, powerful, and just a joy to use. They have always complimented my Windows and Linux machines nicely, Imo those days are over.

----------

Because a small form factor tablet would make Apple lots of money, people will buy anythign with the Apple logo on it.

And Apple is a company, their number 1 goal is to make money, so yes. It makes perfect sense for them.

You make some fair criticisms. Hopefully I didn't sound too much like an Apple kool-aid drinker? While I'm still a devoted Apple customer, I must concede, that like any company, they're not perfect.

My worst experience was with my 2008 iMac. Had two optical drives in a row malfunction shortly after purchase and 3 years in the hard drive completely crapped the bed...plus some screen issues. Otherwise I've had a generally good experience with Apple products.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008

I would actually state Apple RE-INVENTED the MP3 player! It gave us the eco system, the devices, the sound quality, the ease of use, the price that NO ONE else seemed able to do, others gave us some of these but only Apple hit the right note with it all. And it was Apple and Steve Jobs that TOLD the record industry to change or die and charge a fixed price per track.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
You make some fair criticisms. Hopefully I didn't sound too much like an Apple kool-aid drinker? While I'm still a devoted Apple customer, I must concede, that like any company, they're not perfect.

My worst experience was with my 2008 iMac. Had two optical drives in a row malfunction shortly after purchase and 3 years in the hard drive completely crapped the bed...plus some screen issues. Otherwise I've had a generally good experience with Apple products.

No, you didn't don't worry. I am super critical of everything, companies and people alike.

People like to trash me and say Im trolling if I say apple screwed up, the fact is. I'm willing to bet money that I've spent more money on Macs over the years than 80% of the people here have on Apple anything, I don't hate Apple as a company, I've had some great products from them.

The fact of the matter is, as with your 2008 iMac, my 2011 iMac has been a totally huge pile of ****.

Visit 1: Fan sensor Failure
Visit 2: 2 fans failed

I think ok, bad batch of fans or electronics, whatever, it happens.

Visit 3: Screen decides it doesn't want to work, get charged 150 dollars anyway, go apple!

Visit 4: ODD Fails.

I spend this much money on a computer, ( I will admit, I have like 6 grand into my gaming tower, present to myself after 3 months without a day off, biggg project with a nice bonus lol, that went right into my gaming rig ), but still 3200 dollars is alot for an AOI, or any consumer grade computer. Sure, its not the same quailty as a business grade PC or gaming rig, but for that kind of money, i want a reliable machine.

Is wanting a product that WORKS really asking so much?

And about the iPod, I owned an iPod Mini, I still have it somewhere, I loved it, but I always found myself going back to my Gateway.

The iPod was just marketing for me, very good marketning indeed. There were so many players that were so much better than the iPod, Creatives, iRivers, Archos, RIO, Gateway, DELL, just to name a few. But people boug the iPod anyway because a commercial told them to.

For me, Apple is not the great company it used to be. ( Note, I don't care how much money they have, or how successful they are, I don't care and it does not affect me ).

Most wealthy company in the world, with all this money.

Can't update a ****ing desktop line for 2 years? Really? Cmon.

----------

I would actually state Apple RE-INVENTED the MP3 player! It gave us the eco system, the devices, the sound quality, the ease of use, the price that NO ONE else seemed able to do, others gave us some of these but only Apple hit the right note with it all. And it was Apple and Steve Jobs that TOLD the record industry to change or die and charge a fixed price per track.

1: Eco System? its music, its a file. There is no eco system.

2: Sound Quailty? Are you ******** my butthole? Both my RIO Karma and Gateway DMP blew away the first generations of iPod away in sound quality and EQ customization.

3: Ease of use? Really? You can't handle drag and drop? Open the drive on the Mp3 player and drag your music into it? Complicated I know.

4: Price? Early iPods were VERY expensive.

5: Steve jobs didn't do ****, people still buy CD's. And the record industry doesn't care about apple, or any other form of online music store as long as they get a cut.

I've loved my Macs over the year, and Ive owned an iDevice or to.

But the fact that people actually take Apple's actions, and people who criticize Apple, as personal insults really tells me what a great job their marketing department does.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
I really wish Apple would just make the iPad Mini $399 and use the same quality Retina screen as in the iPad 3.

That'll be amazing but an iPad Mini's Retina display would require a significantly higher pixel density than the iPad 3rd gen's, which means most likely the manufacturing process will have to be adjusted for this product separately from the current iPad's.

Also from rumors, we hear that iPad Mini will use in-cell displays. If all of these rumors are true, an iPad Mini Retina screen is going to be a bigger version of iPhone 5's screen, which is already difficult enough for Apple's suppliers.

Now they're a toy company.

iPod was garbage.
iTunes is crap

No more toys.

Apple has ALWAYS been a toy company. The first Apple computer was basically a toy for enthusiasts and Macintosh with its mouse-driven GUI was also derisively called as "toy". The day Apple stops being a "toy company" is when they'll die. Read the quotes below

----------

From Guy Kawasaki's 1990 book:

(before then) world was very different. Macintosh was not selling well. It was not perceived as a powerful computer. Most business people scoffed at it as a "cute, graphics toy." A lot of people didn't even think that Apple would survive. Many large developers doubted that Macintosh would succeed and were skeptical that our graphics toy could support a high-end relational database.

From a 1987 Chicago Tribune Article:

The plan is to bring the Macintosh, once regarded as a toy, then grudgingly admitted to the business world as a niche product for desktop publishing, even more into the mainstream of business use.

-------------------------

Last edited:

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
^^^this. Apple controls 85% of the worldwide tablet market. I'm not sure I understand the point of a mini tablet.

They won't forever. That is a fact. I can see the iPad getting " window'ed " like the Mac did if they stay in that insane price range for what your getting.

The iPad mini would let them get into the market at a lower price range, and compete with the uncomming Windows 8 tablets more effectively.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
1: Eco System? its music, its a file. There is no eco system.

2: Sound Quailty? Are you ******** my butthole? Both my RIO Karma and Gateway DMP blew away the first generations of iPod away in sound quality and EQ customization.

3: Ease of use? Really? You can't handle drag and drop? Open the drive on the Mp3 player and drag your music into it? Complicated I know.

4: Price? Early iPods were VERY expensive.

5: Steve jobs didn't do ****, people still buy CD's. And the record industry doesn't care about apple, or any other form of online music store as long as they get a cut.

I've loved my Macs over the year, and Ive owned an iDevice or to.

But the fact that people actually take Apple's actions, and people who criticize Apple, as personal insults really tells me what a great job their marketing department does.

I think you have a VERY blinkered view on the iPod and iTunes. You would be paying more for your music if it wasn't for Apple. How many people have iPod's, how many people buy music of iTune's? To say Steve jobs did nothing is to totally ignore the blatant facts.
Is Apple marketing? My iPhone certainly tells me a big fat NO! And so does my iPod nano that I've had for a few years, the iPod is so popular and successful that car manufacturers have sockets for it, controls for iPods from car stereos, they don't do that for 'other' makes, made for iPod is a hell of a lot more then marketing.
As for sound quality, a CD is ALWAY'S better, but I've yet to see ANY MP3 player that can offer better quality AND an eco system to match iTunes.

Is drag and drop too tough? Don't be so stupid, but where am I going to get those files to drag and drop? Buy a CD only to convert them into lower quality files and then piss about putting the files onto an MP3 player? No.

I can use one programme to browse MILLIONS of tracks from world famous to people no one's heard of, pay a cheap price for the tracks I want, then just sync it onto my iDevice, or even buy the track on my iDevice, or even drag and drop the track to my iDevice using the most simple, easiest to use and established eco system on the planet.
I can also use the same system to browse thousands of free great podcasts for music to discussions.

It sounds to me that due to your poor experience with your computers from Apple, you use that to attack them on the great successes they have had.

Sometimes I really wish Steve Jobs never FORCED the record industry to change, because people like you would still be paying a lot more for your music, using pain in the arse systems, not having ease of use in cars, or just staling the music and getting sued for it.

Last edited:

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
They won't forever. That is a fact. I can see the iPad getting " window'ed " like the Mac did if they stay in that insane price range for what your getting.

Have you actually looked at the prices of the competing 10" tablets from Samsung, Asus, Motorola, etc? They are all in the "insane" range.

The simple fact is that iOS-based devices are so much more popular than Macintosh ever was and the price of i-devices are, believe it or not, surprisingly competitive against the competition in the same range.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I think you have a VERY blinkered view on the iPod and iTunes. You would be paying more for your music if it wasn't for Apple. .

Really? Where did you get that idea from?

If you buy entire Albums, which I do. They seem to be EXACTLY the same price weather they be at Wal Mart, Target, Best buy or a local record store.

How many people have iPod's, how many people buy music of iTune's? To say Steve jobs did nothing is to totally ignore the blatant facts.

I'm still paying exactly the same as I was before.

Is Apple marketing?

Yes they are, but it was not always that way.

My iPhone certainly tells me a big fat NO! And so does my iPod nano that I've had for a few years, the iPod is so popular and successful that car manufacturers have sockets for it, controls for iPods from car stereos, they don't do that for 'other' makes, made for iPod is a hell of a lot more then marketing.
As for sound quality, a CD is ALWAY'S better, but I've yet to see ANY MP3 player that can offer better quality AND an eco system to match iTunes.

Yes, popular does not mean " the best "

McDonalds sells more food than anyone else in the world, they are the Apple of the restaurant world. Does that make their product the best? I would say not.

As for sound quality? Your right. CDs rape sound files.

Well, the MP3 player I use is not made anymore, its a ZUNE HD, I have Movies, pictures, easys syncing. And I get all my Music for 10 dollars a month, as much as I want, their is no limit, it also syncs to my tablet and my desktop PC.

And its much much cheaper for that service than iTunes. So yes, an old no longer produced Mp3 player from Microsoft has a better Ecosystem than the iPod.

Is drag and drop too tough? Don't be so stupid, but where am I going to get those files to drag and drop? Buy a CD only to convert them into lower quality files and then piss about putting the files onto an MP3 player? No.

Buy a CD for the same price the iTunes store offers? Sorry, I've been buying CD's a long time, and the prices seem to be the same in a real store, or the iTunes store. Only if I buy a CD I won't have to convert it into that terrible AAC format, I can go Lossless on my Archos ( 320gb bigass MP3 player ), and have tons of songs. Not so on an iPod.

And my ZUNE HD has had better sound quality than any iPod I've ever heard.

I can use one programme to browse MILLIONS of tracks from world famous to people no one's heard of, pay a cheap price for the tracks I want, then just sync it onto my iDevice, or even buy the track on my iDevice, or even drag and drop the track to my iDevice using the most simple, easiest to use and established eco system on the planet.
I can also use the same system to browse thousands of free great podcasts for music to discussions.

Cheap price? A dollar a track? Same as you pay in the store.

And there are other Music stores, I use some of them. Every single one offers me more music for my money than iTunes can.

It sounds to me that due to your poor experience with your computers from Apple, you use that to attack them on the great successes they have had.

Ive had

1: Used iMac G3, Loved it
2: Pismo Laptop, got me through college, loved it
4: G4 Tower, loved it, had a PSU issue, fixed, no questions asked
5: Dual 1.8 G5, loved it.
6: Dual 2.7ghz G5, loved it loved it loved it, Sprung a leak out of warrenty, Apple replaced it no problem.

Then my 2011 iMac, 4 failures, and all I got was questions as to " how I damaged it " despite it not having a dent on it, and being charged for repairs that should have been covered by Apple cares, I should have beat that manger to death with it.

Sometimes I really wish Steve Jobs never FORCED the record industry to change, because people like you would still be paying a lot more for your music, using pain in the arse systems, not having ease of use in cars, or just staling the music and getting sued for it.

No offense, but I don't see how he affected the cost of music? Before iTunes I'd pay 15-20 dollars a CD. And 5-10 for the bargin older CD's, the iTunes store charges pretty much exactly the same.

----------

Have you actually looked at the prices of the competing 10" tablets from Samsung, Asus, Motorola, etc? They are all in the "insane" range.

The simple fact is that iOS-based devices are so much more popular than Macintosh ever was and the price of i-devices are, believe it or not, surprisingly competitive against the competition in the same range.

heres the thing.

What do you get with an iPad? Nothing, you get a giant iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.