Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
It's not such a great idea. A lot of my music consists of classical recordings which usually have totally generic album covers. And I have a lot of music that has no album art at all. The only reason I'll upgrade is because I'm a developer and I need to know what my customers are using.

The list view is still there.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I am delighted that iTunes has changed.

Personally, I think iTunes is the single worst piece of software apple have ever created.

I have deleted iTunes from every Mac I've ever used. It is bloated, slow and not at all user friendly.

I hate it so much that I refused to buy an iPhone because you are forced to use iTunes.

I am considering an iPhone 5 now because iOS6 is pretty much iTunes free, I can use PhoneView to interact with the phone and if for some reason I ever need to use iTunes, hopefully v11 won't be anywhere near as crap as every other version Apple has made.

I've been iTunes free since iCloud in iOS 5. where have you been?

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
I for one am really looking forward to iTunes 11. I've used iTunes since version 4 and whilst it has gotten better, it hasn't evolved with the times at the same speed as the iPod/IOS devices it syncs with.

attila

macrumors 6502a
So, list view is still there.

Has anyone seen any preview of how playlists work? I mainly listen using playlists or sort my songs by genre.

I also use the "spotlight" feature a lot, having my list update live with search. I'm a little bit afraid of how the new pop-over search box will affect.

I guess it will be like Facebook: many will be very frustrated the first week, then they will forget there ever was a change :)

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
iTunes 11 looks like it will add a great deal to the music experience; I'm really looking forward to it!

Same with me, I can't wait. iTunes is the only app on my Retina MacBook Pro that sorta looked outdated. Now it looks wonderful, only a few more days till upgrade! :)

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
iTunes bloated? Apple detractors repeatedly farm out this cliche.

http://tidbits.com/article/11615

Personally I find it fine on OS X. I'm sure there will be a few annoyances in accustoming myself to the newness, but that is more about me than the software.

I found the same as Kirk when I tried some of those more "simple" iTunes replacement apps and found that while being smaller they used basically the same amount of CPU and RAM resources. So when someone says iTunes is bloated they really have to provide their definition for context.

I'm excited for iTunes 11 and this is coming from someone that deplores the iPad version. However the iPad version doesn't have the folder like reveals nor can I look at a playlist and all of my songs at the same time like 11. That's going to be a nice management feature.

Plus the iCloud stuff in 11 should usher in more support for the music player in iOS 7 wrt history and other bits of data.

Lastly any iTunes Match improvements would be very welcome and I do plan to use the next up feature a lot.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Well, it seems like my worst prediction has come true: less-than-intelligent Apple designers have decided to make the iTunes for Mac UI similar to that of the horrendous, ridiculous, pathetic iTunes app for iPad. [...]
Now my only hope is: can we still keep the old interface active as opposed to that POC iPad-like UI? Any advice is more than welcome.

Even though I share some of your fears, I feel like it may be a bit early to call the new version of iTunes a disaster just yet.... ;)

More specifically, I'd be very interested in the contents of the View menu, especially when one has selected a playlist. Frankly, at this point it's all just speculation whether or not options or any items of functionality have been removed:

Attachments

• itunes.png
    itunes.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,196

paduck

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
I think in 2 years whe will have touch based mac or maybe sooner with the macbook air ? Dont know but damm straight touchscreen is coming to osx.

I don't think touch screen is coming to the desktop. And probably not laptops either. The reason is simple ergonomics - imagine how tired your arm will get having to constantly touch the screen. It's a no go. Plus, you might not even sit close enough to the screen to make it happen.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
I don't think touch screen is coming to the desktop. And probably not laptops either. The reason is simple ergonomics - imagine how tired your arm will get having to constantly touch the screen. It's a no go. Plus, you might not even sit close enough to the screen to make it happen.

The point is not to use the touch function constantly more like for simple task, mundane stuff :) i was going to order a touchscreen laptop yesterday from bestbuy (toshiba) but i went with another one because sadly the touchscreen the have are not powerfull :eek: either way im looking forward to these and will love apple takes on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.