Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiko1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
Just got the new Iphone5 and I love it. Restored from my old phone and all works well BUT if I text someone a pic it will start a new conversation so the persons name show up twice in the messaging section. So it's like two conversations are going on with the same contact.. Anyone having that issue??

----------

this is what I mean

5C5B03A3-C008-4150-AAE7-B1550CC85AB5-752-000000205F84DFA9.jpg

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
Check which account each of those conversations is coming from. A user can have multiple addresses for both iMessage and FaceTime, and if they don't set their "caller ID" the same for each device, this will happen. Click into the conversation, scroll to top, click their contact info, and their "caller ID" address will be highlighted in blue on the contact info page.

kiko1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
Check which account each of those conversations is coming from. A user can have multiple addresses for both iMessage and FaceTime, and if they don't set their "caller ID" the same for each device, this will happen. Click into the conversation, scroll to top, click their contact info, and their "caller ID" address will be highlighted in blue on the contact info page.

yeah, i thought about that but they only have one contact..

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
yeah, i thought about that but they only have one contact..

one contact, but if you follow the above instructions, you'll probably see that an email address is highlighted for one of the entries, and a phone number for the other.

kiko1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
one contact, but if you follow the above instructions, you'll probably see that an email address is highlighted for one of the entries, and a phone number for the other.

just checked again and the same number is highlighted in blue.. It's kicking my butt trying to figure out what is wrong..

brueck

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I'm having the same issue. My send and receive settings are consistent and so are the person's who I am receiving messages from.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
I struggled with this same issue, both before iOS 6 and after. What FINALLY got it working for me was to have all my iDevices (and Mac) start conversations from my Apple ID. Not the phone #. If everyone does this, the iMessages will stay in the same thread.

Hope that helps you. It is frustrating.

Edit: you will also have to delete the old conversations and start again. But since I did the above, my iMessages have synced across all my devices flawlessly in a single conversation thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.