Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Post here with any docks you find as they become available.

The only thing I've seen so far is theipadframe.com's CG mockup, which is basically an Apple design knockoff, and looks too tight for docking with any case. It has no pricing or release date info. I'm also leary of a company that offers iPad mini accessories.

Johnnyiphone5

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
I posted earlier about this. There was some interaction from a rep from the company on here.

http://www.braeburnacoustics.com/category_s/1825.htm

I PM'd but haven't heard back

Johnnyiphone5

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Pm disabled for the user so I have emailed to check on availability. I just saw the elevation dock. I wonder if any other companies are coming up with anything.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Just saw this in the flesh at Tekserve in NYC.

web_main_dock_2.jpg

It's basically a big plastic base that you feed your own lightning cable into. Kinda pricey for a plastic box ($40), though it does come with a USB cable extension and 2 dock inserts for naked/cased.

I passed on it. Way too big in both size and price for what it does.

http://www.lenntek.com/products/Dock/Dock

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
really torn between the braeburn and the ipad frame docks... if the braeburn had some more support it would be a definate winner, similarly if the ipad frame one had an audio jack out I'd get it straight away.

Think I'll go for the braeburn based on price, material and slightly better functionality (sound amplification) but I'll see what delivery is like for the other one because delivery to anywhere outside the US for braeburn is sketchy atm and even when it's set up I think will be expensive.

joeybuckets

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2008
ZANESVILLE,OHIO
really torn between the braeburn and the ipad frame docks... if the braeburn had some more support it would be a definate winner, similarly if the ipad frame one had an audio jack out I'd get it straight away.

Think I'll go for the braeburn based on price, material and slightly better functionality (sound amplification) but I'll see what delivery is like for the other one because delivery to anywhere outside the US for braeburn is sketchy atm and even when it's set up I think will be expensive.

i think i may order one also :D

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
I'm actually contemplating making one. After someone (I seem to have forgotten who exactly) here in the forums was showing off their custom wooden dock, I'm leaning towards trying my hand. It does have the downside of being more work, but with most of the current docks having long ship times and requiring us to bring our own Lightning cables, the trade-off is minimal.

Johnnyiphone5

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Just got an email from customer support.

They said they have docks for the desk (the one released now) as well as a new version for use when the lightning connector is unavailable.

If you look at their 30 pin based models, the dock connector is pass through. When I emailed about the dock connector - they referred me to the FAQ below the page.

I'm gonna bite the bullet and order one. If they come out with another one I may just order again. For 25 bucks, it's less than my griffin case.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Just got an email from customer support.

They said they have docks for the desk (the one released now) as well as a new version for use when the lightning connector is unavailable.

If you look at their 30 pin based models, the dock connector is pass through. When I emailed about the dock connector - they referred me to the FAQ below the page.

I'm gonna bite the bullet and order one. If they come out with another one I may just order again. For 25 bucks, it's less than my griffin case.

Did they state if they're shipping now or if there's a wait time? I'm tempted to pull the trigger on one if it'll get here in a reasonable timeframe (a week or less), but if its a "mid-October" type thing, I'll hold off.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Bit the bullet and bought the Lenntek Dock. The Braeburn was cheaper, but the total lack of support for the phone was a deal breaker; I'm clumsy and heavy handed at 5am when the alarm is blaring and don't want to risk breaking off a lightning tip inside my phone or worse. I'll still probably build one out, but until then, this one will do. Once it arrives, which should hopefully be this week or next, I'll post up a full review.

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
Lenntek Dock
I guess that's my only option for now... Maybe I'll design my own.

huschpuscheli

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
i found this on kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1787686855/foundation-dock-the-new-home-for-your-iphone

with regard to the audio out known from the iphone 4 dock, the creator says:
Hi Douglas and Jeremy
We received a lot of questions about this and there seems to be some confusion-here’s how it works:

All 8 pins in the Lightning connector are routed through the Flexible Cable to an 8 pin USB 3.0 connection at the bottom of the cable. When the Flexible Cable is docked in the Foundation Dock the audio will play through the Foundation Dock speaker, or through the rear-facing shielded audio line out, and the microphone in the Dock will work in conjunction with the microphone in the iPhone. The Lightning connector does have digital audio out and the Foundation Dock will convert this to analog for the internal speaker and line out.
When using the Flexible Cable and an iPhone in your car and you are plugged into our car charger, or any other cigarette lighter USB charger, only the charging function will work. No cigarette lighter USB charger will transmit audio. If you desire audio from your iPhone to play through your car speakers, you will have to use bluetooth or aux line out.
As mentioned before, we have added a through hole in the bottom of the iPhone 5 cradle for the aux line out. Hope that clears it up for everybody. Please let us know if you have any more questions.
i find this a quite interesting claim regarding the abilities of lightning and future accessories... but the "dock" is quite ugly imho.

i also found this on kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hop/elevation-dock-the-best-dock-for-iphone
it looks very nice but as far as i understand you have to wire the lightning cable into the dock.

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
I am actually very tempted to just make my own and feed a cable through it until they come out with something cheaper! I do like this new cable as it is much more secure feeling than the previous, it just stinks when I think about how many other cables I have. At least I can use the plug part for them still ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.