Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thiara

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
I went into my local Apple Store and it appears on all the iPhone 5's. That's strange. Must be something to with the layer they removed. iPhone 5's touch screen is 1 layer isn't it? Still a bit worried if I'm honest though!! But at least I found out it appears on every iPhone 5.

Just got back from the apple shop. They replaced my phone and there is no problem with the screen or green mist at the bottom of the screen. You need to call them and they will make you an appointment at the apple shop

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
England
Just got back from the apple shop. They replaced my phone and there is no problem with the screen or green mist at the bottom of the screen. You need to call them and they will make you an appointment at the apple shop

Thanks for the update. I take it they replaced it in-store? It's just when I went to the Apple Store they guy said there was nothing they could do as I got mine online. So did you though didn't you? I'll call em' up.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
England

As you did buy it online did Apple mention anything about it? When I asked they said the online store and Apple stores deal separately. Did you just go in and ask for an exchange?

thiara

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2012
As you did buy it online did Apple mention anything about it? When I asked they said the online store and Apple stores deal separately. Did you just go in and ask for an exchange?

I orders my phone from the T mobile website. The guy in the apple shop didn't even ask where I got it. I did tell the guy I ordered it online. You need to call them up and if you didn't get any joy from that particular apple shop make an appointment at another apple shop.

logicpro7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
London UK
Just been able to get a screen shot of something else happening...

When the phone is plugged in and charging and I'm listening to music, when I unlock the phone I can see the battery icon appear very briefly before going to the home screen.

Wonder if it's related..??

Anyway here's the shot

Another GN Housecall listener? ;)

Hope you get the screen issue sorted.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
England
I orders my phone from the T mobile website. The guy in the apple shop didn't even ask where I got it. I did tell the guy I ordered it online. You need to call them up and if you didn't get any joy from that particular apple shop make an appointment at another apple shop.

Ok. Thanks. I've made an appointment for Tuesday. I'll let you know how I get on. Hopefully there will be no faffing about and I can get a replacement in minutes.

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
This really is a weird one...

I can replicate the battery 'ghosting' issue on my iPhone 5, my iPhone 4 and my partner's iPhone 4.

The one thing in common? They're all running iOS 6 which would lead me to assume it's a software bug.

Anyone know where I can report this?

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
England

Got a replacement. Screen issue still happens. I'm just gonna come to the conclusion that it happens on al iPhone 5's. It's all one layer now (touch screen) it must do something to do with that. Thanks.

darkcoupon

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2012
Hm... That's not what's actually happening to my screen. It's difficult to explain! I'll get a lime green flash when I swipe quickly across the iPhone from left to right.

I'm just gonna call up and hopefully get a replacement.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just picked up an iPhone 5 yesterday afternoon and the exact same thing is happening to me. I notice the yellowish/greenish glow at the bottom of the screen when waking my phone after several minutes, and after seeing this thread I swiped across the screen with the side of my hand and got the lime green flash across the entire thing as well. I'm going to the Genius bar in the morning so I'll post an update about what they say.

darkcoupon

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2012
OK, took my phone into the genius bar today. We couldn't replicate the problem but the guy took it into the back to see what he could do anyway. He said he opened it up and resat all the cables but he wasn't able to see what I was describing. Just now, sitting in dim light, I turned my phone on and saw the green glow much larger and more visible, and then faded within a second. It honestly looks like a light leak to me, I've dealt with a lot of computer monitors that have light leaks and that's the closest thing I can compare this to. It would also explain the inability to reproduce the problem in the brightly lit Apple store.

Has anyone found any fixes yet, or gotten any help from Apple on this issue?

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
England
OK, took my phone into the genius bar today. We couldn't replicate the problem but the guy took it into the back to see what he could do anyway. He said he opened it up and resat all the cables but he wasn't able to see what I was describing. Just now, sitting in dim light, I turned my phone on and saw the green glow much larger and more visible, and then faded within a second. It honestly looks like a light leak to me, I've dealt with a lot of computer monitors that have light leaks and that's the closest thing I can compare this to. It would also explain the inability to reproduce the problem in the brightly lit Apple store.

Has anyone found any fixes yet, or gotten any help from Apple on this issue?

Hi. No worries. I do still get this issue but to be honest I'm used to it! This is the second iPhone 5 I've had and it happens. It also happens on my friends phone too.

darkcoupon

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2012
Hi. No worries. I do still get this issue but to be honest I'm used to it! This is the second iPhone 5 I've had and it happens. It also happens on my friends phone too.

Hmm, I'll have to check some of my friends' phones as well. I guess I could live with it if it doesn't get resolved after a few replacements, but it really bugs me for some reason. I've noticed it happens more consistently when the brightness is set pretty high and you don't have auto brightness on. I'm betting it's a flaw with the back light on the bottom of the screen.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 29, 2012
England
Hmm, I'll have to check some of my friends' phones as well. I guess I could live with it if it doesn't get resolved after a few replacements, but it really bugs me for some reason. I've noticed it happens more consistently when the brightness is set pretty high and you don't have auto brightness on. I'm betting it's a flaw with the back light on the bottom of the screen.

Yeah. I also checked with my other mate who has an iPhone 5. He has a screen protector on and it DOESN'T happen. Maybe, that's the cure!!

darkcoupon

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2012
Alright so I took my phone back today. After not being able to reproduce the problem in the apple store, I took these pictures with my DSLR last night and showed them to the Genius that was helping me and they replaced it right away.

The replacement phone has been perfect so far.

Attachments

• _DSC5001.JPG
    _DSC5001.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 74
  • _DSC5003.JPG
    _DSC5003.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 73
  • _DSC5004.JPG
    _DSC5004.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 72
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.