Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PerPlekz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Cmon guys, i understand you don't see yourself justifying what money you have on these cases, but there is no need to throw your "Haha i would NeVAR BuY THeSE cases!LOZLs" posts all over the place.

Thanks ;)

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
Killed my 4s

The Element case killed the signal on my 4s. It lost 3 bars with it on. It looked great and seemed to be well designed otherwise.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
These cases are ridiculously overpriced. For this much money they better give oral sex or something! I mean, the funny thing to is, it's just some glorified bumper with a back sticker. How many schmucks buy into this? haha

At least the Lifeproof cases at around $90, can go swimming with you! This stuff though? Garbage.

Did you say oral sex is included? How do they deliver that?

Erock2

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2012
Still looking to buy one, a little disappointed they won't ship until the 18th, so i'm not sure if I should wait or not.

PerPlekz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
The Element case killed the signal on my 4s. It lost 3 bars with it on. It looked great and seemed to be well designed otherwise.

was that before they started making them with the pre-rubber insert piece? No one really had any real signal loss after they implemented that that i heard about.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008

The original Element Vapor killed signal. The Pro did not. The polymer parts have successfully resolved signal issues.

Ntran

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
These cases are ridiculously overpriced. For this much money they better give oral sex or something! I mean, the funny thing to is, it's just some glorified bumper with a back sticker. How many schmucks buy into this? haha

At least the Lifeproof cases at around $90, can go swimming with you! This stuff though? Garbage.

Use my Ziplock bag to cover my new IP5 and it can swim with me very well. I paid around $10 for a box of 40 bags, way much cheaper than your case. If you are looking for something cheap and usable, I still have a bunch of spare bags to share. How does that sound?

Jasonv2

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Use my Ziplock bag to cover my new IP5 and it can swim with me very well. I paid around $10 for a box of 40 bags, way much cheaper than your case. If you are looking for something cheap and usable, I still have a bunch of spare bags to share. How does that sound?

I'd love to test a Lifeproof case vs your ziplock bag. haha So you can bring it in the water. Wonder how your bag would fare in a drop test? ;) What is everyone doing looking for cases, apparently a ziplock bag is all we need.

The fact is, people paying upwards of $140 for these element "cases" and they don't even offer proper protection. I mean, if I'm going to be spending over $100, it better be an amazing case all around. All this does is protect the sides. Sure I understand they use aircraft grade aluminum and all that marketing hoop-lah-blah-blah. End of the day the phone isn't fully protected, it's just a bumper.

Just have to ask yourself, what is this case going to bring to the table?

1. Can you put it underwater? No.
2. Could you drop it on sand/dirt? No.
3. All around protection for drops? No.
4. Is the phone fully sealed off by the case? No.
5. Could you jog/athletic activities with this? No. No shock protection and again not safe with drops, screen is open.

I don't even know if the sides are fully protected, your putting a hard material up against the phone, if any dust/debris get in there, that will be scratch city. So why exactly is this case worth so much? It isn't, it's a silly case, might as well go buy a gold bumper with diamonds for even more $$$.

Last edited:

PerPlekz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
I'd love to test a Lifeproof case vs your ziplock bag. haha So you can bring it in the water. Wonder how your bag would fare in a drop test? ;) What is everyone doing looking for cases, apparently a ziplock bag is all we need.

The fact is, people paying upwards of $140 for these element "cases" and they don't even offer proper protection. I mean, if I'm going to be spending over $100, it better be an amazing case all around. All this does is protect the sides. Sure I understand they use aircraft grade aluminum and all that marketing hoop-lah-blah-blah. End of the day the phone isn't fully protected, it's just a bumper.

Just have to ask yourself, what is this case going to bring to the table?

5. Could you jog/athletic activities with this? No. No shock protection and again not safe with drops, screen is open.

I don't even know if the sides are fully protected, your putting a hard material up against the phone, if any dust/debris get in there, that will be scratch city. So why exactly is this case worth so much? It isn't, it's a silly case, might as well go buy a gold bumper with diamonds for even more $$$.
Looks fantastic.
Inside protective lining.
Does Protect corners from drops.
In my case, not really purchased as a bumper or case but as en extension of design.

Jasonv2

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Looks fantastic.
Inside protective lining.
Does Protect corners from drops.
In my case, not really purchased as a bumper or case but as en extension of design.

I'm sorry but you're spending $170 to make the phone look worse. Your not going to tell me surrounding the phone with a metallic bumper makes it "look" better. The phone looks like one of those bumper cars at the amusement park. If you have money to burn on nonsense like this element case, then just use the phone nude in it's finest form and buy another if you break it. Can't try to use "oh but the corners are protected." Not a valid point at this price range. Go nude if money isn't an issue, cause to be honest there's no such thing as a case that improves on Apple's design in any way.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
reformed metal-case fanatic

I spent way too much on metal cases and metal hybrid cases for my iPhone 4. I did not mind a little signal loss. But what led me to quit using all of them was how they screwed up GPS. Might not notice it while you are standing still, but trying to navigate with them on was terrible.

But I really liked the look . . .

Last edited:

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
To each his own, to each his own. The last two posts sound like they're trying to talk themselves out of these evil cases.

NewYorkRanger

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Anyone who buys one of these cases, can you please post your credit card numbers and security code on here?

(worth a shot, if you're stupid enough to buy a $160 case and justify it by calling it a "premium" case, maybe you will fall for this too...)

PerPlekz

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Anyone who buys one of these cases, can you please post your credit card numbers and security code on here?

(worth a shot, if you're stupid enough to buy a $160 case and justify it by calling it a "premium" case, maybe you will fall for this too...)

lol the same can be said about people that still own cheap blackberries and how they perceive your iphone 5 purchase

/argument

----------

I'm sorry but you're spending $170 to make the phone look worse. Your not going to tell me surrounding the phone with a metallic bumper makes it "look" better. The phone looks like one of those bumper cars at the amusement park. If you have money to burn on nonsense like this element case, then just use the phone nude in it's finest form and buy another if you break it. Can't try to use "oh but the corners are protected." Not a valid point at this price range. Go nude if money isn't an issue, cause to be honest there's no such thing as a case that improves on Apple's design in any way.

Yes, that is exactly what I am telling you. It looks freaking awesome as a matter of fact. And when I have an iPhone amongst a SEA of other people with iphones, I like to make mines stand out as much as I can, and as awesome as I can.

And the sector is where its at for me. Its not for you? Oh well, have fun with your plastic case!

Ntran

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011

Here you are, let's see how smart you are
3668 2384 2878 87438

Some people drive Ferrari some drive Camry. Would you call those owning the red horses stupids for spending a fortune on their cars???

Then someone who got their cases for $2 or $3 from Ebay would call you stupid as you pay $20 for a case. Grow up, dude. Don't judge people on how they spend their money

Ntran

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
1. Are you a diver? Do you use your phone why swimming or in the water?
2. I use my iphone as a phone or PDA, not as a ball or something to throw on sand/dirt.
3. How do you know? Have you ever used or tested the Element case?
4. Is your phone completely sealed off by the case you choose?
5. If I run I wouldn't hold the phone on my hand but leave it in the zipped pocket of my sport pants.

People are willing to pay a premium for the case because it has certain features or characteristics that they feel worth the money. Someone likes Android and some like IOS. Someone even spends thousands of dollar to cover their phones with gold. For the OP, as he mentioned MANY TIMES the case is not just a case for him.

v3rn

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
Gonna wait a bit before I order, want to make sure I won't be satisfied with a cheaper case before I put down the money. Although I will probably spend well over $150 before I realize I should have ordered the Sector to begin with. But right now I've got the Rokform Rokshield ordered and I'm hoping I will like that enough. I'm really waiting for the Taktik which is $130 but that won't be out for a few months.

Jackson743

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
At $160, it's no longer protection. You need protection for your protection. Guaranteed you'll drop and scuff your phone's protection a couple of times over the phone's lifetime. Not to mention normal wear and tear with aluminum. Spending (theoretically) $320 - $480 over 2 years for signal depleting metal cases is silly.

Plus, looking at the pictures, it doesn't appear the top part adequately covers the face. And, it looks like you have to have a back over.

This case is classic form over substance.

Pureplex

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
anyone knows does it comes with matte or glossy finish?

the sector? right now its what you see in the picture....

----------

At $160, it's no longer protection. You need protection for your protection. Guaranteed you'll drop and scuff your phone's protection a couple of times over the phone's lifetime. Not to mention normal wear and tear with aluminum. Spending (theoretically) $320 - $480 over 2 years for signal depleting metal cases is silly.

Plus, looking at the pictures, it doesn't appear the top part adequately covers the face. And, it looks like you have to have a back over.

This case is classic form over substance.

i think everyone understands the "Substance" which is form and that's exactly the reason of the purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.