Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

typofreak183

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Utah
I'm relatively new here, so thanks for any help you can give:)

Right now, I own a 2nd generation iPod Touch (8G), and I'm satisfied immensely with it. But as of now the iPod, and all my music and apps from the app store, are synced to my parents' iTunes account. I'm not moving computers, but I want to know if there is a way I can transfer "ownership" of my iPod to another account. I want to transfer the ownership even if I need to repurchase music and apps. Is there any way of doing this? Is there a program I could use to copy the app files off my iPod or from iTunes (*.ipa files)? Can I copy my music over to the new account?

EDIT: I would also like some advice on how to set up an iTunes account without a credit card. The plan is, if at all possible, to link my new iTunes account to my PayPal, and then that can be linked to my parents' credit card. This is nice because when I get off to college, all I need to do is put my new credit card into PayPal. (Also I'm doing this because my sisters share the family iTunes account, and I don't want Hannah Montana getting synced everytime I open iTunes:()

Thanks for any and all help again:rolleyes:

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005

Right now, I own a 2nd generation iPod Touch (8G), and I'm satisfied immensely with it. But as of now the iPod, and all my music and apps from the app store, are synced to my parents' iTunes account. I'm not moving computers, but I want to know if there is a way I can transfer "ownership" of my iPod to another account. I want to transfer the ownership even if I need to repurchase music and apps. Is there any way of doing this? Is there a program I could use to copy the app files off my iPod or from iTunes (*.ipa files)? Can I copy my music over to the new account?

EDIT: I would also like some advice on how to set up an iTunes account without a credit card. The plan is, if at all possible, to link my new iTunes account to my PayPal, and then that can be linked to my parents' credit card. This is nice because when I get off to college, all I need to do is put my new credit card into PayPal. (Also I'm doing this because my sisters share the family iTunes account, and I don't want Hannah Montana getting synced everytime I open iTunes:()

You have to understand how the iTunes environment works.

There is a single iTunes Store account. Anything purchased on this account is associated with this account, and this account only.

Your computer is a place that you can link the account to. You're essentially giving permission for that computer to play/use content purchased on that account. Any one account can have up to 5 computers that allow content from that account. Any computer can have an unlimited number of accounts on it.

Your iPod is not a stand alone device really. Aside from apps, consider it an extension of the home iTunes. It can be associated with a computer, but essentially is an extension of the iTunes software (and as many accounts on that computer).

So technically, you don't 'transfer' ownership of the iPod. If you sync it with another computer, it then becomes associated with THAT computer, and the iTunes accounts on THAT computer.

There is no way to transfer ownership between iTunes accounts, as far as I know. You can move to new computers, you can allow other computers to have the same content if the account is on there, but to create a new iTunes account (your own), you're going to have to start afresh.

also note that you don't have to sin Hannah Montana to your iPod. You manage what syncs to your ipod through the iPod pane in iTunes - if you don't want Hannah Montana, choose not to sync that. There are multiple ways of organising what you get on your iPod.

typofreak183

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Utah
You have to understand how the iTunes environment works.

There is a single iTunes Store account. Anything purchased on this account is associated with this account, and this account only.

Your computer is a place that you can link the account to. You're essentially giving permission for that computer to play/use content purchased on that account. Any one account can have up to 5 computers that allow content from that account. Any computer can have an unlimited number of accounts on it.

Your iPod is not a stand alone device really. Aside from apps, consider it an extension of the home iTunes. It can be associated with a computer, but essentially is an extension of the iTunes software (and as many accounts on that computer).

So technically, you don't 'transfer' ownership of the iPod. If you sync it with another computer, it then becomes associated with THAT computer, and the iTunes accounts on THAT computer.

There is no way to transfer ownership between iTunes accounts, as far as I know. You can move to new computers, you can allow other computers to have the same content if the account is on there, but to create a new iTunes account (your own), you're going to have to start afresh.

also note that you don't have to sin Hannah Montana to your iPod. You manage what syncs to your ipod through the iPod pane in iTunes - if you don't want Hannah Montana, choose not to sync that. There are multiple ways of organising what you get on your iPod.

OK, thanks for the help :)

So far, actually, it looks like I can still have my library of music playing while signed in to another account. My iPod still syncs fine, so I guess the problems start to happen when I want to purchase things next. Hopefully, since it's on the same music account and all the music from both accounts is kept in the same folder, iTunes will let me keep it all.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
OK, thanks for the help :)

So far, actually, it looks like I can still have my library of music playing while signed in to another account. My iPod still syncs fine, so I guess the problems start to happen when I want to purchase things next. Hopefully, since it's on the same music account and all the music from both accounts is kept in the same folder, iTunes will let me keep it all.

Yes, both the computer and hence iPod (which, as I said is just an extension of the computer iTunes) can have multiple accounts associated with it no problem. If that computer is authorised to play from content purchased on several accounts, then any ipod associated with that computer will also do the same.

The locations of the files and folders is irrelevant. Every DRM'ed media has a small code that associates it with a Music Store Account. The computer is simply told which accounts it's allowed to play. And an iPod will play whatever that computer is allowed to play (being an extension of that library).

That said, all the iTunes music NOW is DRM free. Content you'd have to worry about is older pre-iTunePlus music, movies/tv shows, and apps. But if your computer contains several accounts, that's fine, your ipod will play home all.

It only becomes an issue when you move to a new computer, and you need authorisation for that computer to play from different accounts (you just have to give permission for all the accounts).

ddegrasse

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2012

I have had a issue like this for a while, and I suggest you check this out: http://itechcrazy.com/how-to-install-cracked-apps-without-jailbreaking-apple-devices/. This application is not for piracy, but it will allow you to resign your favorite apps to yourself.

Music can have the DRM removed. This app will do that: http://seidai.50webs.com/Seidai Software_files/FairGame.zip.

I have also heard that CDs don't support DRM, and exporting to a cd, signing into a new account, and importing works.

Remember, google is your friend.
NOTE:
*Music will not go to iCloud unless you have itunes match.*
**I haven't tested these methods, so use them at your own risk.**

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.