Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jnava420

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
Lincoln, NE
AppleCare

I talked to AppleCare and they told me the iPhone 5 is designed for LTE it will always pick the LTE over wifi, the only solution is to turn off cellular data in settings.... I call bs

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I didn't purchase this device to play with the settings every time I want to browse the Internet. I guess I must have a hardware issue this seems pretty extreme to count wifi data as data over the network.

Ok then, did you consider you have a defective unit and the WIFI/LTE defect is also causing your battery drain.

I know you came here for advice but you already had your answer. Go back to Apple and get a new unit.

6 thread pages about a defective phone?

----------

I talked to AppleCare and they told me the iPhone 5 is designed for LTE it will always pick the LTE over wifi, the only solution is to turn off cellular data in settings.... I call bs

The iphone will always choose WIFI over LTE. Thats how all the phones have worked. If you are in range of a WIFI it knows, it will select it.

I would be shocked if that has changed. A more likely answer....your applecare person was wrong.

Peterocherry

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012
As someone who has worked in tech support, I have to say that there is almost nothing a user could say to me that would convince me their phone is using LTE when connected to wifi. It would get filed under "user error".

Then there are a lot of stupid users. Used 2gb in 3 days. Except for downloading from cloud on wifi no real activity. AT&T says it is open Apps. Not possible. There is an issue. My LTE is now turned off, data usage has stopped.. But now the question "why did I replaced 4s?"

emil3m

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
dcorban said:
As someone who has worked in tech support, I have to say that there is almost nothing a user could say to me that would convince me their phone is using LTE when connected to wifi. It would get filed under "user error".

As someone who works in tech support, I'm right there with you. This problem is inexplicable and immensely frustrating.

One of you was fired already and the other should follow. I work in IT. In any country where customer service trumps personal pride, the SUPPORT (<-emphasis) person should not forget his/her role.

Strange things happen. Here are two examples
Scenario 1: Hardware/Software is malfunctioning and causing WiFi to disconnect intermittently or forcing an LTE connection.
Scenario 2: User is a complete imbecile and is in fact NOT connected to WiFi while thinking he is.

Fortunately, no Apple employee would EVER classify this as "user error."

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
This morning around 3am or so I had over 512 MB used on cellular when I had wifi turned on.

Not sure what that could have been, but that is huge! Why isn't WIFI getting priority over LTE/3G, etc...? That is a phone/software issue it seems. That is eating into my allotment pretty quickly if it continues.

Last edited:

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I have the same problem! I used to be on an unlimited plan, now I'm on a 2gig data plan. Granted I only used on average .50 gigs of data per month. I figured 2 gigs a month would be plenty. Last night I received multiple texts form Verizon claiming I exceeded my data by 8 gigs!!! Not possible. I am always on wifi at home and work. I called Verizon and explained everything to them. They said they were gonna look into it. For the time being they put me on the 20 gig plan so I won't exceed anymore. I figured this must be a fault on Apple's side. Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem.

So you are willing to pay more until they figure this out?

Kline

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
So you are willing to pay more until they figure this out?
No I'm not paying more at all. They are giving me a credit until they figure it out. Sounds like this is an IOS 6 problem. It might be my phone picking lte over my wifi. Even with the wifi status still on. If that's the case apple needs to fix this to let people know they are on lte and not wifi anymore. I think it's pointless to have to manually toggle lte on and off every time I'm on wifi. Being unsure if I'm actually using wifi. Doesn't make sense to me.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
No I'm not paying more at all. They are giving me a credit until they figure it out. Sounds like this is an IOS 6 problem. It might be my phone picking lte over my wifi. Even with the wifi status still on. If that's the case apple needs to fix this to let people know they are on lte and not wifi anymore. I think it's pointless to have to manually toggle lte on and off every time I'm on wifi. Being unsure if I'm actually using wifi. Doesn't make sense to me.

It is without a doubt a ios 6 issues. Any time I go from dark to home button, the LTE signal is present. Once I swipe to the home screen, wifi comes back on.

That is a serious issue because of these stupid data plans these days.

Kline

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
It is without a doubt a ios 6 issues. Any time I go from dark to home button, the LTE signal is present. Once I swipe to the home screen, wifi comes back on.

Yea I have noticed how the wifi signal will disappear then come back. However, that doesn't happen while I'm using wifi. Status shows that it is on and working, but I'm getting these ridiculous data charges. I hope this gets figured out soon.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
Yea I have noticed how the wifi signal will disappear then come back. However, that doesn't happen while I'm using wifi. Status shows that it is on and working, but I'm getting these ridiculous data charges. I hope this gets figured out soon.

Yeah but during backups and whatever else goes when it is in sleep mode it seems to be using LTE/3G and not WIFI, which shouldn't happen.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
Perhaps, you should turn off LTE and cellular data while on Wifi and you won't have to worry about it connecting to 4G or LTE. If you don't want to, then deal with the overages. All it takes is a flip of the button.

One shouldn't have to remember to turn it off and turn it back on. It should just WORK.

----------

You mean while sleeping? My iphone has ALWAYS done that (since the 3).

----------

my wifi icon has always stayed at the top of the screeen ( ios5+, ios 6 on my 4s) until now with the iphone 5

I've been an iphone user for YEARS. My iphone has always displayed 3G until I woke it up.

Wildgift

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
One shouldn't have to remember to turn it off and turn it back on. It should just WORK.

----------

You mean while sleeping? My iphone has ALWAYS done that (since the 3).

----------

I've been an iphone user for YEARS. My iphone has always displayed 3G until I woke it up.

If the results are different--huge data increases--but the behavior is the same, I think that the iOS, the network or the phone is the culprit. This is all over the net and a really serious problem in the age of data caps.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012

That's good to hear they are willing to work with you until they figure it out. I hope others in your situation can also request this measure until things get sorted out. Thanks for posting..

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
This same issue happened to both myself on my 4S and to my husband of his 4. Both under home WiFi and received notices from ATT that we were going over our data plan allotment. This happened several times to both of us on separate occasions. I had to resort to turning off the 3G radio while at home on Wifi and constantly trying to remember to turn it back on and off when leaving and coming back home. I now have the iPhone 5 and so far it hasn't happend but still. I called ATT the first time it happened and I told the CS guy to look at my data consumption history to see that I never hardly use any data and why this time it was so unreal. His attitude was like "TOUGH" it shows you used that data so you have to pay for it. It used like 2GB in ONE DAY! I'm only on the 200MB plan because I am always on Wifi!

There is some sort of problem that this happens to ppl and there is no explanation. Sorry to say but it's kind of a hassle to be turning off your 3G and now LTE off and on but if you are on a limited data plan I would recommend it. :(

emil3m

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
I have poor reception in my apartment. The coverage outside the building is 4 bars on both LTE and 4G (on average). Inside the apartment, there is no LTE and about 1-2 bars for 4G.

Poor reception means radio is working extra hard to seek and/or maintain connection. I tunred off "cellular data," kept WiFi on. I was still able to make/receive phone calls, regular text messages, and iMessages (through WiFi).
***don't forget that my regular 4G still struggled at 1-2 bars, but I still need it to function as a phone ***

On my first trial I got 9 hours of usage and 21 hours of standby (I'm pretty sure that "standby" is always elapsing even when the phone is used, so it is not 30 hours). The usage part was all-encompassing: games, video, phone, texting, browsing, downloading, music streaming, music playback, and anything else i'm forgetting.

Other important info:
Brightness is set bellow the letters T&N (looks like about 40-45%) and on 'auto'.
I do not use nor have any desire to use: iCloud, Bluetooth, Siri, Miscelleneous location services (other than "cell tower search"), Automatic Time Zone setting.
I have 4 email clients--2 of them push emails, 2 fetch only when I open the mail client.
I did NOT go "terminator" on Push notifications--refuse to give up functionality--BUT I do pick wisely which apps TRULY NEED to be pushed to notify me.

At the end of this test, I let the phone die (as per Apple Website). It took 1hr 55min to fully charge (from the wall)--this is very welcome news!

It is POINTLESS for me to keep "cellular data" on at home since my phone doesn't even load google.com without wifi--THANKS AT&T!!! But I do wonder how long it will last outside.

Please share your experiences. It will be really helpful!

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Then there are a lot of stupid users. Used 2gb in 3 days. Except for downloading from cloud on wifi no real activity. AT&T says it is open Apps. Not possible. There is an issue. My LTE is now turned off, data usage has stopped.. But now the question "why did I replaced 4s?"

Bet you restored from a 4s backup. Others I know who did are having issues. I never restore on a major os upgrade.

wenglish

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2008
As someone who will need a 3G Microcell if I were switching to AT&T (which I'm considering for other reasons), I'm curious about what you would get charged for in the situation where you're using an iPhone 5 > Microcell > Your own internet.

Common sense dictates that AT&T wouldn't be charging for the data consumed while on the 3G Microcell, but common sense already appears to not apply even without the 3G Microcell in use (based on what I am reading in this and other threads).

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
As someone who will need a 3G Microcell if I were switching to AT&T (which I'm considering for other reasons), I'm curious about what you would get charged for in the situation where you're using an iPhone 5 > Microcell > Your own internet.

Common sense dictates that AT&T wouldn't be charging for the data consumed while on the 3G Microcell, but common sense already appears to not apply even without the 3G Microcell in use (based on what I am reading in this and other threads).

I have a MCell. If my phone says m-cell, I am using it. Its considered WIFI but data use still dings your plan.

If your phone is unable to stay locked on your WIFI and your previous iphone worked fine, I believe you have a defective iphone 5.

This happens often but Apple blames you, or your router.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009

I have an AT&T Microcell and ATT does not charge me anything for the data used by the Microcell because the Microcell is connected to my router. Not a cell tower.

----------

Bet you restored from a 4s backup. Others I know who did are having issues. I never restore on a major os upgrade.

This is soooo true!
Always restore to new. It sucks losing some data but if you want a good functioning phone, that's the way to go!

sandwicher

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012

This has been the case ever since the previous iPhones too.

When in sleep mode, the WIFI gets disconnected. However, should there be a need for a data connection (PUSH EMAIL, WHATSAPP or anything else), the phone will periodically connect back to the WIFI, while asleep, and push it via WIFI (not cellular).

It takes a split second for the phone to connect to WIFI when being woken up. Not iOS 6 fault. Has always been this case.

gsugolfer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2010
Georgia, USA
I admittedly did not read the entire thread - but here's a possibility.

When I wake my phone back up, it's showing LTE and then quickly changes over to wifi.

Maybe the wifi shuts off when the phone is put to sleep?

ANMA dojo

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
it's threads like this that push the importance of jailbreak + SBSettings to easily toggle LTE/3G/data/wifi with a single swipe and press.

doasis23

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2012
This is soooo true!
Always restore to new. It sucks losing some data but if you want a good functioning phone, that's the way to go!

Can you explain? I havent received my 5 yet but are you saying I should select new and not from back-up? What are the benefits of this and will I lose my contacts?

Lockon

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Just wanted to chime in that my iPad 3 LTE on 5.1.1 has done this. I just make sure the cell radio is off now when downloading large files.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Can you explain? I havent received my 5 yet but are you saying I should select new and not from back-up? What are the benefits of this and will I lose my contacts?

Do you have your contacts on iCloud? If so, then no, you won't lose your contacts or anything else you have on iCloud.
It is best to restore to new because if you restore from a backup then you are just loading the same possible corrupted data right back on your phone. A fresh install is just that. A brand new install that gets everything right back where is should be. you will however, have to install all your apps again but that's a good thing really. Even some developers recommend deleteing and re-installing their app if you are having trouble with it. What you will lose is any saved games data and texts and voicemails. Stuff like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.