Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Yep, Apple maps pissed me off that much. I love my iPad use it all day every day. Google maps was part of that, Apple maps is unusable for my needs and now I find myself shopping for an Android tablet. Never imagined that day would come.

I read the Asus Transformer is the leader at the moment and gets good tech reviews. Anyone have one or can you suggest a good full size tablet, the nexus 7 is too small.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Yep, Apple maps pissed me off that much. I love my iPad use it all day every day. Google maps was part of that, Apple maps is unusable for my needs and now I find myself shopping for an Android tablet. Never imagined that day would come.

I read the Asus Transformer is the leader at the moment and gets good tech reviews. Anyone have one or can you suggest a good full size tablet, the nexus 7 is too small.

The Google Nexus 10 has been rumored for a while now. I'd wait for it.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Yes, that's right, there should be a new Nexus tablet and phone announced soon Some predict October, and if that's the case I'd wait and likely check out the Surface too which should be announced October 25th.

Although it's tempting to buy something now, in that case the Asus may be best contender.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Really? You're considering switching OS because of a single app (which admittedly is much worse than it's predecessor). Ever try this?

You are certainly entitled to try any device but really sounds like 'cutting your nose off to spite your face.'

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
Really? You're considering switching OS because of a single app (which admittedly is much worse than it's predecessor). Ever try this?

You are certainly entitled to try any device but really sounds like 'cutting your nose off to spite your face.'

I agree it seem a bit much just for a map app.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009

Yes, I tried the google maps web link of course, as well as numerous other maps on the App store. Web apps load too slow and the apps aren't as good as the previous google maps app.

Been an Apple fan for a long time, and yes their maps offering really ticked me off, enough to consider trying something else for a change.

----------

If you used the map app as much as I do and experienced the inadequacies of Apple's map as I have you just might feel the same way.

Renzatic

Suspended
Unless you're angling for 4G/LTE, the Nexus 7 would probably be your best bet if you're mostly set on getting an Android device for the maps. It's 200 bucks, a bit more portable than a 10" device, and, most importantly, it's quick.

Why spend an extra $300-400 for a little more screen real estate that won't do you much good, when the 7 offers up everything you'll need at a much lower price?

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Be aware with Asus tablets. I had the Transformer Prime and thanks to the appalling I/O performance on the tablet, I had to void my warranty and install custom firmware just to get it to perform as I expected it too (it was great after doing that, I was really pissed at having to do it tho).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6Q0Qv3m36Q&sns=em

Android police article on the I/O performance on Asus and others: http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...dern-devices-compared-in-13-tests/#androbench

I do like the look of Sony's new Tegra 3 powered Xperia Tablet S
http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/24/3333106/sony-xperia-tablet-s-review

Pity the Nexus 7 is too small though. I do think it is the best Android tablet out there at the moment.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I think the Nexus 7 is the best Android tablet but if it is too small for you then the best option seems to be the Asus Transformer.

madden

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
Forget the Transformer, get the Galaxy Note 10.1 The Transformer is glitchy and lags a lot and the Note has the superior processor. The build quality of the Note isn't as premium feeling but its nice and light and the S pen adds all sorts of functionality you wont find on the Transformer.

thinkinblue613

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2010
Planet Earth
Try the Nexus 7 out. It made me comfortable enough to sell my iPad 3.

The 7" form factor is a little more comfortable to use. I don't wanna sound like a wuss, but after holding the iPad for awhile, you kinda want to lean it on something other than your wrists.

I'm planning on using it as my main navi and in car entertainment when I get a Bluetooth adapter. The more affordable price with the device and apps are nice. If anyone got one, I'd recommend the 16GB model.

There are rumors of a 3G or 4G model coming out this fall. As well as, a 10" Nexus.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Try the Nexus 7 out. It made me comfortable enough to sell my iPad 3.

The 7" form factor is a little more comfortable to use. I don't wanna sound like a wuss, but after holding the iPad for awhile, you kinda want to lean it on something other than your wrists.

I'm planning on using it as my main navi and in car entertainment when I get a Bluetooth adapter. The more affordable price with the device and apps are nice. If anyone got one, I'd recommend the 16GB model.

There are rumors of a 3G or 4G model coming out this fall. As well as, a 10" Nexus.

Wholly agree that the iPad can get "tiring" to hold.

A lighter Nexus 10 would be pretty sweet. I will wait to see if this is unveiled... or to see if there are some holiday deals for the Nexus 7. There's bound to be. If the Nexus 7 32 GB comes out at a reasonable price, it'll be irresistible.

kdarling

macrumors P6

An app can be critical. Years ago, mllions switched to iPhones mostly because of the browser and a bigger screen to use it on.

As for the tablet, I'm another lover of 7" models for their handiness.

If I were to get another 10", I'd have to go with the Note because of the S pen and multi-windows for some apps. I have no idea if it's as light as the original Tab 10.1, but if it is, that would be another advantage.

magentawave

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009

I had an Asus Transformer for about two weeks where I did lots of side by side comparisons with my iPad. I ended up selling the Asus and keeping the iPad because the speaker on the iPad sounded better and was louder than the Asus. I prefer the openness of the Android over the iPad which is also why I prefer my Android phone instead of an iPhone. I won't trade my Macbook Pro for a Windows laptop though!

Last edited:

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada

I have the original Asus Transformer. The main reason was that it has the best keyboard dock of any tablet available. I do a lot of typing while online, so I want a good input device. I just hate screen keyboards for a long list of reasons. If you do plan on doing any significant amount of typing, I highly recommend you consider one of the ASUS Transformer line of tablets. If you don't do much typing on your tablet at all, then you won't gain as much of a benefit from a Transformer tablet.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Pretty much any of the tegra 3 Asus tablets. They all have received jellybean.

The tf300 and tf700 have better GPS chips than the prime though. The tf700 is the best of them all. The build quality on it is just as goof as any apple product as well. The tf300 uses cheaper materials and a lower resolution screen while the tf700 has a metal casing. You'll really like Google maps on android. If you thought Google maps on iOS was good you'll be blown away by the android version.

Last edited:

Doggman

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
Forget the Transformer, get the Galaxy Note 10.1...the Note has the superior processor.

Lol wrong? The TF700 has a 1.6 quad core CPU... Speaking of the TF700, it would be my recommendation. I got one a few months ago and I like it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.