Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
I'd been rocking an old Apple Bluetooth headset up until the iPhone 5. It may not have had the best audio quality or best battery life, but the fact that the battery meter was built into iOS (someone even went to the trouble of making the images retina for the iPhone 4/S) and that I could charge phone and headset with one cable made it the best choice for me. Now that the cable is different for each, I'm going to have to look elsewhere I suppose :(

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
Motorola HX550. I've been using this one for a while and it is fantastic. Audio is perfect, actually better than my Plantronics Voyager HD, and it does a great job with noise reduction too.

captainc

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
I'd been rocking an old Apple Bluetooth headset up until the iPhone 5. It may not have had the best audio quality or best battery life, but the fact that the battery meter was built into iOS (someone even went to the trouble of making the images retina for the iPhone 4/S) and that I could charge phone and headset with one cable made it the best choice for me. Now that the cable is different for each, I'm going to have to look elsewhere I suppose :(

Which headset are you talking about? Curious.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Which headset are you talking about? Curious.

This is sadly the only mention I can find on Apple's site since its long since discontinued: Apple Bluetooth Headset. It was released alongside the original iPhone and even came with a special iPhone dock that let you charge and sync the phone and charge the headset. Also came with a "travel" cable that was a 30-pin cable with a slot underneath to connect the headset and charge it with one cable.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Motorola HX550. I've been using this one for a while and it is fantastic. Audio is perfect, actually better than my Plantronics Voyager HD, and it does a great job with noise reduction too.

^^This.

I've been through Plantronics and Jawbone headsets that cost twice as much, and they all had frustrating flaws. One of the biggest was static, particularly if the phone was on the opposite side of my body or a little ways across the room.

Not the Motorola. It puts out a very strong signal, and the audio quality is great in both directions. Best headset for Siri too. Very reliable.

This is the one to get.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
^^This.

I've been through Plantronics and Jawbone headsets that cost twice as much, and they all had frustrating flaws. One of the biggest was static, particularly if the phone was on the opposite side of my body or a little ways across the room.

Not the Motorola. It puts out a very strong signal, and the audio quality is great in both directions. Best headset for Siri too. Very reliable.

This is the one to get.

I've been happy with my Jawbone, no static issues for me, but I agree they are on the expensive side.

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
Those bluetooth headsets sound great, but they're only great for making phone calls. What about bluetooth STEREO headsets, so I can listen to my music and take calls? You know what I mean...replace the Apple Ear Buds, Ear Pods, or whatever they call them these days with something that is WIRELESS? Has anyone ever used anything like one of these? If so, how is the experience? Seems great for certain circumstances, but I suppose you can't use them while driving.

iPhone Headphones - Hands-Free, Wired, Mono and Stereo Bluetooth Headsets

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
well..

this thread is about iPhone 5 headsets but if you want to do one on wireless stereo, you should start a different thread and not try to hijack this one. :cool:

Cybiker

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2006

Most headsets these days will show a battery meter in the status bar on the iPhone. Jawbone's, Motorola's and Plantronic's all show this if i'm not mistaken, haven't tried other manufacturers.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Most headsets these days will show a battery meter in the status bar on the iPhone. Jawbone's, Motorola's and Plantronic's all show this if i'm not mistaken, haven't tried other manufacturers.

Didn't know this! Thanks, that was the one feature I really was going to miss, now I don't need to!

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I recommend the Moto Elite Flip. It has a great battery life,crystal clear on both ends,gives audible alerts on connection and tells you how much talk time you have left,and I love the ease of use. Flip it open,it's on. Flip it closed,it's off.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
I recommend the Moto Elite Flip. It has a great battery life,crystal clear on both ends,gives audible alerts on connection and tells you how much talk time you have left,and I love the ease of use. Flip it open,it's on. Flip it closed,it's off.

My major question on this and any other headset is how Siri is activated. On my current piece, I have to push and hold until a distinctive tone is heard, maybe 3 seconds. If there was a set that activated Siri with a single tap, that'd be much more useful to me.

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
My major question on this and any other headset is how Siri is activated. On my current piece, I have to push and hold until a distinctive tone is heard, maybe 3 seconds. If there was a set that activated Siri with a single tap, that'd be much more useful to me.

To be honest I didn't use Siri with mine a lot. I do think it was a long hold to activate her though. I'll test and get back if you want...

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
Um...sorry???

this thread is about iPhone 5 headsets but if you want to do one on wireless stereo, you should start a different thread and not try to hijack this one. :cool:

Wow, sorry man. Certainly did NOT mean to "hijack" the thread! But, the wireless stereo headsets I linked to ARE, in fact, "iPhone 5 bluetooth headsets." In fact, if you click on my link, which goes to the APPLE STORE by the way, you would see that Apple actually refers to those devices as bluetooth headsets. It's just that YOU are talking about MONO bluetooth headsets (a fact not specified in the title of your thread or in your original post) and I'm talking about STEREO bluetooth headsets.

So, before you jump all over me for "hijacking" your thread, perhaps you could learn to be a bit more specific when you create threads in the first place. Because you were unclear and did not specify, I actually assumed this thread was about ALL bluetooth headsets.

Didn't mean to, um, offend you, by bringing up alternative bluetooth headsets which can also be used with the iPhone 5. Perhaps you'll learn to define your terms a little better in the future so you don't get..."hijacked." LOL. :confused:

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
everyone gets it

Can you tell by the fact no one else is talking about wireless stereo except you?
Now don't let it happen again or I will insult your wireless stereo motown butt again. LOL

On a serious note, if wireless stereo is your interest, it's probably best discussed in a new thread. You'd probably get a good discussion going but personally I prefer the real wired deal with ultimate ears triple fi, YMMV. :p

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
Can you tell by the fact no one else is talking about wireless stereo except you?
Now don't let it happen again or I will insult your wireless stereo motown butt again. LOL

On a serious note, if wireless stereo is your interest, it's probably best discussed in a new thread. You'd probably get a good discussion going but personally I prefer the real wired deal with ultimate ears triple fi, YMMV. :p

Fair enough. I'm a dope, and the truth is, I'd probably get pulled over and arrested for wearing a wireless stereo headset while driving. So, maybe I'll just stick to one of these options you guys are discussing.

On topic, I will say that Bose one mentioned up near the top looks VERY cool, especially in that video on their site where the sound of traffic and wind is effectively cancelled out. WOW. Very impressive.

imazu

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2012
Couch
i have Jaybird Sprint. I haven't tried Siri with it though. I use it as my stereo headset for music and phone calls. So far it's pretty good on voice call with my iphone. I am looking at the new bose for review to see if it fits well for phone calls.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008

One quick tap on the Motorola HX550 activates Siri. I feel like Picard tapping my communicator pin to call for a transport :cool:

Also to answer someone else's question, the HX550 does show a battery meter on the iPhone display.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
One quick tap on the Motorola HX550 activates Siri. I feel like Picard tapping my communicator pin to call for a transport :cool:

Also to answer someone else's question, the HX550 does show a battery meter on the iPhone display.

You sir have just sold an HX550 for Motorola, I'd contact them for a commission check and tell them to work Picard into future marketing lol.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
You sir have just sold an HX550 for Motorola, I'd contact them for a commission check and tell them to work Picard into future marketing lol.

Post again after you've tried it out and let us know your thoughts.

I wish someone had pointed me to it before I dropped about $200 in total on other headsets. The Motorola is not an obvious choice and doesn't really "stand out" like the Jawbone and other fancy designs. But it's a solid performer in every respect. I was about to give up on Bluetooth headsets altogether when I decided to give this one a try.

I should also mention that the battery life is phenomenal and the "flip out" on-off switch completely solved another gripe I had about most headsets (they either turned on by themselves in my pocket, or required a hard 3 second press to turn on that left a dent in my finger).

Anyway I'm starting to sound like a salesman. I'm not. I just like finding good products and wanted to share the knowledge.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Post again after you've tried it out and let us know your thoughts.

I wish someone had pointed me to it before I dropped about $200 in total on other headsets. The Motorola is not an obvious choice and doesn't really "stand out" like the Jawbone and other fancy designs. But it's a solid performer in every respect. I was about to give up on Bluetooth headsets altogether when I decided to give this one a try.

I should also mention that the battery life is phenomenal and the "flip out" on-off switch completely solved another gripe I had about most headsets (they either turned on by themselves in my pocket, or required a hard 3 second press to turn on that left a dent in my finger).

Anyway I'm starting to sound like a salesman. I'm not. I just like finding good products and wanted to share the knowledge.

Of course I'll be back my a review, between this and several docks and other items, I've got a full week ahead. And while the design isn't fancy like a jawbone (which IMO looks gaudy) I got one in white, so its not too bad looking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.