Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
This wouldn't be as bad if Twitter themselves had some of the best and robust apps out there for accessing their service...but they don't. I took both twitter clients off my iPad and iPhone because they'd either crash upon launching, or crash half-way through looking at things. Plus their apps are feature-poor.

Something like Tweet-Bot is excellent, it adds value. It's robust. It has features that Twitter doesn't even have.

But hey, it's Twitter's service, they can do what they want to with it. It's just become very unattractive to me. I use it now for news-feeds flowing through apps like Flipboard. I have specific "lists" of twitter feeds for "news" and "magazines" and "comedy" and things like that. I just flow them through Flipboard and I'm browsing the top stories and reading in-depth articles...just like an old magazine. I'm guessing that it will all go away eventually and I'll have to go back to RSS feeds...which kind of takes away the "man on the street" aspect of some news feeds. If I have to go through Twitter's own apps and website, it's not worth it.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Twitter is in self-destruct mode by the looks of it. First they block Instagram users from finding their Twitter friends (which could be argued makes sense due to Facebook acquiring Instagram), then they block Tumblr (who is even a partner with Twitter) and now this whole API fiasco.

Frankly my use of Twitter has been on free fall over the last month or so. Hardly feel the need to use it anymore. With Google+ and RSS Feeds I get all the news and info I need on the things that interest me. I feel less and less the need to use Twitter, which I am finding annoying as of late due to people whom I initially followed because I was interested in what they had to say on a particular subject, merely flood my feed with a bunch of random comments I could care less about ("I got new desk from IKEA!", "I am X airport waiting for Y", who blipping cares?).

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
So basically Twitter is now putting a limit on how many users a third-party Twitter application can have.

I wonder when Tweetbot for iOS and the rest of the third-party will be affected.

It only seems to be a question of when.
It's been said now already that this is coming. It's already been mentioned by Twitter so it is only a matter of time when they enforce it.

iseras

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2012
This sucks bigtime. I upgraded from the alpha but now it says it can’t authorise my account! I guess it’s because I changed my twitter password before upgrading. Is there any way around this????

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
The app was really buggy when I first installed it. After quitting the app and reopening it, it started working fine again.

I've had the official Twitter app on my Mac since I bought my computer, but haven't used it in forever, especially when Tweetbot came out. I gave it a try the other day and was immediately reminded why I never used it.

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
If anyone is getting a "Time Out" message, it's because a new beta just dropped 0.8.1. You'll need to click the DL link on the web page the app takes you too. The webpage hasn't been updated yet, so it'll still say 0.8.0 on the blog post, but i've just installed it and it's 0.8.1

No change list yet. Feels really smooth though, hopefully almost ready for full release

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
If anyone is getting a "Time Out" message, it's because a new beta just dropped 0.8.1. You'll need to click the DL link on the web page the app takes you too. The webpage hasn't been updated yet, so it'll still say 0.8.0 on the blog post, but i've just installed it and it's 0.8.1

No change list yet. Feels really smooth though, hopefully almost ready for full release

I download the app from "You can grab the Tweetbot for Mac Beta here". When i try to open it, it gets me to the download site again....:confused:

chrisvee

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Winnipeg, Canada
I download the app from "You can grab the Tweetbot for Mac Beta here". When i try to open it, it gets me to the download site again....:confused:
This one should get you ZIP file with the application in it. Unzip, and replace your current Tweetbot with the new one.

I agree. It feels a lot better than the older builds, I'm really glad to see the Mac app get a lot of attention. Kudos to Tapbots.

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
I did the mistake first to uninstall 0.8.0 and thats why i cannot install 0.8.1.... it works only if you replace the old version. God dammit twitter API :mad:

Last edited:

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
The app had now been submitted to Apple for approval. Shouldn't be long now!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
What?! Why is it so long compared to the iOS App Store which is usually X<7 days?

No idea, maybe they are pulling people to handle the torrent of iOS 6 / iPhone 5 updates?

But it's been longer for a while.

jayem1234

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2012
I assume review times for more prevalent apps are much more quicker. I just can't see it taking a month for tweetbot. I say within 7 days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.