Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

altjx

macrumors member
May 12, 2010
Wow... Thank you for posting this. This explains why I used about 200 MB today and I've been at home and on WiFi all day long.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I noticed if you disable LTE (on AT&T devices) it will help the issue ... for the time being. It needs to be fixed because I do not want to flip flop back and forth just to conserve.

When you suspect that you are using LTE data while you're on wifi, go to whatismyip.com, and check to see if that IP matches up with your wifi router's IP. If it does not, you will uncover the mystery behind this.

Kenjancef

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2010
East Providence, RI
I had noticed something weird since I got my iPhone last Friday: when I hit the button to wake the phone and slide the slider to get in the phone, I noticed that I would see "LTE" where the Wi-Fi icon should be (this is at home). After about 1-2 seconds it would change back to the Wi-Fi icon. So I was thinking that maybe the phone was switching to LTE and dropping my Wi-Fi, then switching back.

Just did the update and will keep my eye on it tomorrow to see if I still notice it changing.

Anyone else see this?

EDIT: just checked usage, says 108MB Sent, 1.0GB received, so maybe I was using Verizon's data as well. Luckily I still have unlimited data! I am going to reset the statistics and check it tomorrow or Tuesday.

Curious to see how Verizon will handle this....

altjx

macrumors member
May 12, 2010
I had noticed something weird since I got my iPhone last Friday: when I hit the button to wake the phone and slide the slider to get in the phone, I noticed that I would see "LTE" where the Wi-Fi icon should be (this is at home). After about 1-2 seconds it would change back to the Wi-Fi icon. So I was thinking that maybe the phone was switching to LTE and dropping my Wi-Fi, then switching back.

Just did the update and will keep my eye on it tomorrow to see if I still notice it changing.

Anyone else see this?

Exactly. Same here. I've noticed the EXACT same thing! It would switch back to Wifi probably after unlocking the phone or something. I've used like 200 MB today and have been on Wifi the ENTIRE day. I always thought this was weird, and now I'm glad I have MacRumors in my Google Reader's RSS feed ^_^

carterja

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2009

Anyone else see this?

the Wifi radio is turned off when the phone is in sleep mode.
It will turn back on as soon as you use the phone.

I live in an area with NO LTE coverage, and with LTE enabled, it was still using my monthly data, and not Wifi. =\

Omacc

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2012
So we have to power it off and on twice?

"it states at note: to power down then on AGAIN"

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
the Wifi radio is turned off when the phone is in sleep mode.
It will turn back on as soon as you use the phone.

I live in an area with NO LTE coverage, and with LTE enabled, it was still using my monthly data, and not Wifi. =\

Are you sure it's really using data? Someone said that it was racking up data usage in the "usage" section of the iOS settings, but that was not reflected on Verizon's website.

Go to whatismyip.com, and check to see if you are really using cellular data that way.

JustGretchen

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
So glad this came out, hope it works. Ive gone through 2.3gb in about 9 days with wifi usage and low streaming.

I have used EXACTLY this amount of data since my phone was delivered on launch day at 3pm. Prior to this I NEVER used more than 800mb a MONTH since i got my VZW iPhone 4.

I just thought it was LTE gobbling. I guess I was wrong.

What is really odd is that VZ shows I used 1.121GB since 9 days ago. This makes 0 sense.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
carrier_settings_screen.png
Serious question. Why is the picture is so messed up? Look at the fonts. What happened to it? It's just a crop of a screenshot from iOS, how could it have been ruined in the process?

A more detailed description of what happened... it seems some vertical rows of pixels are missing.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Serious question. Why is the picture is so messed up? Look at the fonts. What happened to it? It's just a crop of a screenshot from iOS, how could it have been ruined in the process?

A more detailed description of what happened... it seems some vertical rows of pixels are missing.

This is a "serious" question? Okey dokey! :eek:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I thought these "Carrier Updates" came from the mobile carrier, NOT from Apple. Its only 'Software Updates' which did.

I've never seen an update which says "restart your phone"

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
This is a "serious" question? Okey dokey! :eek:
Yes, I care about things being pixel perfect. That image looks like vomit and it bothers me.

Mostly, I'm just curious how it ended up being edited so horribly. If I had to recreate that effect on purpose, it would probably take me 15 mins...

Keyhole

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
I'm not 100% convinced this doesn't affect AT&T phones as well.

Last edited:

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
My wife and I have had this issue with our AT&T iPhone 4's for two years now. I noticed a large amount of data being sent from our phones around midnight. I received no resolution to the issue after reporting it to both companies, and we now must resort to toggling off the cellular data while asleep. Fortunately I jailbroke both phones and toggling is much easier with SBSettings.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I thought these "Carrier Updates" came from the mobile carrier, NOT from Apple. Its only 'Software Updates' which did.

Since the carriers don't have access to Apple's systems, these updates have to be sent by Apple.

I've never seen an update which says "restart your phone"

Sure you have. Happens with every iOS update. It needs to have you restart to flush out the old settings and load the new ones

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011

Here, I took this image:

imageec.png

And performed the same horrible editing to it:

imageat.png

Can you see the difference?

Can anyone tell me why the picture in this news article was butchered in a similar way?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.