Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Since the carriers don't have access to Apple's systems, these updates have to be sent by Apple.

Didn't answer my question... This answer still says it comes from Apple, just carriers:eek:n't have access to it.

I'm saying i thought Carrier Updates came from mobile carries period. Without Apple even knowing...

Your phhne is connected to your mobile carrier, not Apple for 3G access

All Apple would be for Activation, and "Check for Updates" done explicitly done by the user.

Sure you have. Happens with every iOS update. It needs to have you restart to flush out the old settings and load the new ones.

Yes, but i've never seen a carrier update message saying to "restart your phne"

Athough, that is assumed anyway.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
Serious question. Why is the picture is so messed up? Look at the fonts. What happened to it? It's just a crop of a screenshot from iOS, how could it have been ruined in the process?

A more detailed description of what happened... it seems some vertical rows of pixels are missing.
Vertical "rows" are called columns, FYI. :p

Not criticizing; just thought it was funny.

mallwitt

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yet another reason I'm sticking with my iPhone 4 and iOS 5.1.1 for a bit.

First Apple's Maps application is not so great, now this data usage problem. I expect I'll eventually upgrade, but I think I'll wait until maps is more usable and issues like this have been resolved.

Before jumping all over me for the Maps thing, I actually use the transit directions in Maps; couple it's loss with the inaccurate location data and still no turn by turn (I still have yet to see any good reason why Siri's reading functionality couldn't have been implemented), and no good transit "plugins" (and no explanation of how those work with the new framework), the whole thing becomes a net loss for us iPhone4 owners to go to iOS6. I'll wait.

matthiasgoodman

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2005
Chandler, AZ
While I don't know that this is related, a VPN that we use recently had an update to reduce data usage and increase performance on LTE. It turns out that LTE on Verizon Wireless uses a large header and therefor programs that expect an MTU of 1472 will end up using two packets when they expect to use one because the packet had to be fragmented. I really don't think this is a fix for the other issues everyone is mentioning.

Last edited:

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
No one else but you cares, so drop it and move along.
The same could be said about your sig.

Also, it's not true, Apple cares. Steve Jobs cared. That's why he placed such great importance on the typography classes he took, and how it influenced his products...

----------

Vertical "rows" are called columns, FYI. :p

Not criticizing; just thought it was funny.
You're right, I didn't think of that. I guess when it comes to pixels, I always think of them arranged in rows... regardless of the orientation.

----------

You can't be serious.
There are grammar nazis, and then there are pixel ones.

When something bothers you, you can't help it.

Especially given how it's *EASIER* to post a cropped unmodified screenshot from iOS than to mess it up like that...

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
The only thing I can think of is that this is an issue with the "Wifi + Cellular" feature that was in the iOS 6 betas that was pulled before GM release.

I know nothing about the bug itself, this is just some idea I have hypothesized.

Basically, if you were connected to WiFi but your Cellular connection was (harder/)better/faster/stronger (unsure of which, cannot remember) it would use that instead. Now, for all the people in LTE areas, I can bet that the connection was faster on Cellular LTE than most people's home internet plans (for those affected) and it went to that, using Cell data instead of WiFi. My guess is that this was enabled or left as an enabled feature and pulled from the iOS Settings, until it could be refined.

Again, just a guess.

I am guessing this issue arises from removing the Cellular + Wifi option from the last iOS 6 beta....the vestiges of that feature weren't fully removed...and thus led to this issue....

just my 2 cents...

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Well, the rabbit hole goes deeper.

I did a google image search, and it seems that APPLE itself was the original source of this messed up image.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5526?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

http://km.support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/ht5526/carrier_settings_screen.png

That explains why MacRumors posted it as is. They just took it directly from that Apple page (instead of taking their own screenshot from iOS which would not exhibit this defect).

I'm kinda speechless.

Edit: Actually, I think I know how this happened. The original image was probably resized to be slightly smaller using nearest-neighbour filtering without any smoothing applied.

That makes a lot more sense than someone spending effort deliberately making it worse, which is why I was so confused at first.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
There are grammar nazis, and then there are pixel ones.

When something bothers you, you can't help it.

Especially given how it's *EASIER* to post a cropped unmodified screenshot from iOS than to mess it up like that...
This isn't a quick post, it is an article. Probably went through a couple stages, including some up and down sampling for the image.

Edit: which I see you figured out.

Kenjancef

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2010
East Providence, RI
An update to my previous post:

I hit the power button to wake my phone, and saw the LTE symbol there again, then changed to Wi-Fi. Saw the post about turning off Wi-Fi during sleep, makes sense, and probably what's happening, but will see what my usage is in the next few days.

I'm glad I have unlimited data, but is a regular user with limited data going to burn through 1GB of data in a week?? I've never used that much in a month EVER with my iPhone 4.

budafied

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2008
According to my iPhone usage, I have used over 2.3 gb since I got mine on launch day. According to my Verizon app, I've only used 880mb the last three weeks. Hmmmm...

I'll reset my usage and check in a week or so.

Kenjancef

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2010
East Providence, RI
I have over 2.3 gb sinc I got mine on launch day. According to my Verizon app, I've only used 880mb the last three weeks. Hmmmm...

I'll reset my usage and check in a week or so.

I'll check mine too. Funny thing was that I was in the Verizon store on the 13th, asking about preorders and such, and told the guy I wanted to keep unlimited so was going to pay full-price, since my contract doesn't expire until January. He was cool about it, but we went over usage statistics just in case I wanted to wait, and then switch to their Family plan. I wasn't even using 800MB per month for the past 3-4 months. I don't know how the data usage on my phone now compares to my usage on my bill, but I'm curious to find out...

EDIT: Would you all think data usage includes AirPlay? I made the mistake of showing my son how to send video to my AppleTV, so he's been doing that for the past few days.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
The depths of some people's OCD never ceases to astound me.
I call it paying attention to details. Something many of us appreciate when Apple does right...

Seriously, who uses nearest-neighbouring resizing instead of smoothing (e.g. Lanczos resampling filter) for screenshots? What is this, 1998?

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I call it paying attention to details. Something many of us appreciate when Apple does right...

Seriously, who uses nearest-neighbouring resizing instead of smoothing (e.g. Lanczos resampling filter) for screenshots? What is this, 1998?

Auto-****.

jdb80

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
What about the iPhone 4???

The iPhone 4 (and I'd say 4S) is having the same issue. Flip flopping between Wifi and 3G when connected to a wireless network. This is an iOS 6 issue, for all 3G devices I'd say.

DMVillain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
what are the odds that this is a trick to lock the sim?
(80% sarcasm)

Last edited:

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
EDIT: Would you all think data usage includes AirPlay? I made the mistake of showing my son how to send video to my AppleTV, so he's been doing that for the past few days.

AirPlay only works on LAN, not over the Internet, so no.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.