Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
The iPhone 4 (and I'd say 4S) is having the same issue. Flip flopping between Wifi and 3G when connected to a wireless network. This is an iOS 6 issue, for all 3G devices I'd say.

It doesn't happen to me. Actually, in my room, where there is bad wifi, it seems to go to 4G even though I can typically use wifi at a decreased speed in there. I'm pretty sure it's just the wifi being unstable, though.

Mr. Wonderful

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2009
While I don't know that this is related, a VPN that we use recently had an update to reduce data usage and increase performance on LTE. It turns out that LTE on Verizon Wireless uses a large header and therefor programs that expect an MTU of 1472 will end up using two packets when they expect to use one because the packet had to be fragmented. I really don't think this is a fix for the other issues everyone is mentioning.

What the heck? I thought all the movement was going toward making headers smaller, with only the information that is necessary, like IPv6. Why would Verizon make their headers bigger?

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I would like to thank all you Guinea pigs for testing this release for the rest of us, what with Maps and now ridiculously high cellular data usage.

Think I'll stay on 5.1.1 a bit longer...

Mad you don't have an iPhone 5 is what it sounds like.

I am 100% convinced that is does affect AT&T phones because I have AT&T and it's happening to me.

I have ATT, and it's not.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Seems like a non-issue. People are reporting that Verizon's actual website reports the correct data. If that's the case, then Verizon knows the true data consumed and the iPhone is displaying a glitch. I have a feeling it's nothing to worry about.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Quote:
This carrier settings update resolves an issue in which, under certain circumstances, iPhone 5 may use Verizon cellular data while the phone is connected to a Wi-Fi network. Follow these instructions to install the update.

1. Tap Settings > General > About.
2. Wait for the following alert to appear: (top right)
carrier_settings_screen.png

3. Tap OK to install the update.
4. Hold the Sleep/Wake button down until you see "slide to power off".
5. Slide to power off.
6. After the device powers off, hold the Sleep/Wake button to turn your phone back on.

Note: To finish the installation of the update, your iPhone 5 must be turned off and then on again. After your iPhone restarts, tap Settings > General > About, then scroll down to Carrier and verify that "Verizon 13.1" is displayed.

Why is the procedure so complicated? Apple products are supposed to be easy to use!

And why does the dialog box use different terminology from the text to refer to the button? This is sloppy ********.

matthiasgoodman

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2005
Chandler, AZ
What the heck? I thought all the movement was going toward making headers smaller, with only the information that is necessary, like IPv6. Why would Verizon make their headers bigger?

I don't know, but here is the notice I was referencing that I think is addressing the same issue as this carrier update:

"Important Notice on the use of Mobility XE with 4G Networks

Upgrading to 9.5 Resolves Potential Throughput Issues

NetMotion Wireless is recommending that customers intending to use any of the new higher speed 4G broadband networks for mobile deployments, upgrade to Mobility XE version 9.5.

We have found that in some cases, customers using older versions of Mobility XE may experience slower effective throughput speeds on these new 4G networks.

4G Networks and Data Payloads
Some 4G networks require a smaller data payload per packet in order to accommodate a slightly larger packet header. In previous versions of Mobility XE, the software was, in some instances, dramatically reducing the Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) in order to accommodate the smaller packet size. This results in excessive packet fragmentation and poor performance.

This issue has been addressed with Mobility XE v9.5, where the software now automatically detects and sets the MTU size for optimum performance based on the specific network being used."

iPhilPHX

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Seems like a non-issue. People are reporting that Verizon's actual website reports the correct data. If that's the case, then Verizon knows the true data consumed and the iPhone is displaying a glitch. I have a feeling it's nothing to worry about.

This is the case with me as well. Verizon shows my data usage at about 0.501GB of 2.000GB while my phone is telling me 1.118 GB since 9/21.

jableskg

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2008
According to the Verizon website I'm on Day 8 of 30 and my usage thus far is:
0.545GB of 4.000GB

Is it safe to say this issue didnt affect me? Or is it too hard to tell?

kingsrule5

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
Mad you don't have an iPhone 5 is what it sounds like.

I have ATT, and it's not.

Didn't say all phones just said that convinced it happens on AT&T. Different markets, wifi settings, router configurations, ect could all impact this.

andyjam

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Got the same message on my iPhone here in Australia, on Optus... My usage figures haven't been adding up either over the past week or so - this definitely isn't an issue that's isolated to Verizon/CDMA...

vigilant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Nashville, TN
SO incredibly glad they posted this.

skitch.png

skitch.png

I was looking at insane amounts of data usage for two lines for one week.

Last edited:

jlb500

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
Massive data per web page on Verizon iPhone 5

I, too, have used an exorbitant amount of data (> 2 GB in less than a week, NEVER exceeded 2.4 GB in a month previously) while using LTE. However, I noticed that the data per web page seems incredibly excessive. Here is a photo of a single loading of a NYTimes web page (9MB!)--I zeroed out the data prior to this image. It often ranges 12-20 MB per web page. Of course, the normal content is about 300-1200 KB. Anyone else experience this? Verizon and Apple seem flummoxed by this . . .

Attachments

• Photo on 9-30-12 at 8.17 PM.jpg
    Photo on 9-30-12 at 8.17 PM.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 238

iTalk

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
ORD
fwiw, I plugged into the macbook pro to charge the phone and clicked on 'Check for update' in itunes. It installed the carrier update at the click of a button and the phone now shows version 13.1

Mitchellq

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
Yeah, very happy about this. My data usage was sucking. 95% on wifi! One night I fell asleep to several Netflix shows and woke up to 800 mb increase. Did one Siri search on wifi and gained and extra 100mb. I didn't record four day cause I had forgotten to but the 1000mb was at ~200-300 the night before.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 138

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Verizon has no choice but to credit users for overages on their data usage. I'm sure their legal team is already working on a solution, because this is a HUGE breach of contract on their end. Perfect excuse for people to get OUT of their contracts, and its only a week in.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
I'm amazed how many people had this problem, but didn't want to say anything because they felt they would make Apple and the iPhone 5 look worse than they already do from scuffgate, purplegate, mapgate, etc....
And this also explains why Apple's customer satisfaction rating is so high. Most Apple buyers won't speak the truth about Apple's shortcomings.

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Verizon gave me $45 in credit for the $60 in overage charges I received the day after getting my iPhone 5, but perhaps I should call them to get the full credit. I'm also over half-way through my data in the first few days of my new cycle... Which I called them to ask about as well.

I guess this explains it.

Brandon-411

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
Macville, USA.
I'm amazed how many people had this problem, but didn't want to say anything because they felt they would make Apple and the iPhone 5 look worse than they already do from scuffgate, purplegate, mapgate, etc....
And this also explains why Apple's customer satisfaction rating is so high. Most Apple buyers won't speak the truth about Apple's shortcomings.

Maybe you should read the forums. There were numerous threads about this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.