Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DieterRams

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Should I use the same Apple ID for iCloud and the iTunes store?

My immediate assumption was "sure, of course, keep it simple", but today I read the following recommendation:

"One potential problem that users of Apple’s iCloud and other services can easily fall into is the overuse of a single account across the services used on their devices—for example, using the same Apple ID for both iCloud and the iTunes store. The iTunes store links your credit card data to your Apple ID for music and application purchases, as well as in-app purchases. It stores your contact information and address as well. So it’s a potential source of even bigger headaches if it’s exposed along with your iCloud account."

... with the obvious implication that you should not use the same Apple ID for both iCloud and the iTunes store. So, what is the best practice? What are the tradeoffs?

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Since the release of iCloud, I have always used same ID for both iCloud and iTunes, and have not encountered any problems whatsoever. So I think it is safe to use them both with one apple ID.

DieterRams

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
I think the notion is that if you use two different Apple IDs, it'll be safer. Like if someone is able to get your iTunes account, they wouldn't be able to get to your iCloud and remote wipe your iPhone or something. So I'm wondering what the tradeoffs are, especially if handling two IDs like this (one for iTunes/iPhone App Store/Mac App Store and one for iCloud) is a hassle at all and why/how.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Personally I like using two different IDs, so that I can share the store ID with my wife (so we don't have to make redundant app purchases) while keeping our email/contacts/calendars separate.

DieterRams

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
Personally I like using two different IDs, so that I can share the store ID with my wife (so we don't have to make redundant app purchases) while keeping our email/contacts/calendars separate.

Separate IDs. It's just better security.

But any tradeoffs? What are the negative impacts? Does any part of the app store/itunes experience affect iCloud, for example? Could it mean that you might have to log in/out multiple times, or services in iCloud overlap with something in app store and, since there are separate IDs, you can't get it to work together correctly? Just thinking off the top of my head

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010

This isn't necessary since you can already share Apps and everything else purchased in iTunes using Home Sharing. In iOS 6, you don't have even have to enter the password anymore for updates.

There are quite a few downsides to sharing iTunes Store id's because some things you might want separate are linked to them. iTunes Match accounts, purchase history management, automatic downloads, iBooks bookmarks, etc.

Using Home Sharing so you don't have to make redundant purchases is better in every way unless you don't live together and therefore can't be on the same wifi network.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Using Home Sharing so you don't have to make redundant purchases is better in every way unless you don't live together and therefore can't be on the same wifi network.
My wife and I are already set up with the one Apple ID, and it's working fine for us so I don't think we need to change that. However, this Home Sharing thing sounds interesting. Would it work with someone who lives elsewhere as long as an iOS device signed in as them is at my house?

My grandma has an iPad. I know her AppleID/password. I have an unused iPhone 4S lying around that I can use to sign in as her. If I use Home Sharing to share apps with the 4S, would they be visible on her iPad as well?

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I think it is simply easier to have 1 Apple ID for iTunes Store and Mac App Store purchases. My wife and I share 1 Store ID and we have our personal iCloud ID's for our personal email, calendar and contacts etc. However, I do see it getting easier to have multiple IDs (if you have to have them). The latest release of ATV allows you to register multiple Store IDs that you can FAST Switch between them. Of course with 1 ID you do not have to do this. Also, with iOS 6 you no longer have to enter the Apple ID / Password to update Apps that are on your iOS Device once they are there.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
My wife and I have separate iCloud accounts but share the same iTunes account. So we don't have to re-buy the same music, apps or books it the other one has already purchased it.
We have iTunes Match on the iTunes account so it gives up both access to all of our music as well without having it all stored locally on the phones.

Another reason why we only get the base model phones since 90% of our media is in the cloud now but it can still be downloaded and managed at home on my external storage just in case of an iCloud failure.

Ambush083

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
Hawaii
Apologize in advance for rezing an old thread.

Guys, I have looked everywhere and found no solution. Here's the question...

Is there a way to create one ID and use it for all Apple Services: App Store / iTunes and iCloud?

My problem is Apple won't let me change my email address for my Apple ID to an Apple owned domain. Why is this an issue? Because if I use another other ID I cannot access Notes or Mail from iCloud. Notes is what I really want to be able to access.

Am I missing something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.