Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GUIZAR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
So I swapped my Black iPhone 5 for a White IPhone 5. My 4s was white and I really liked the black one. I got it on release date and It was perfect. I used for a week naked and it didn't get any scratches or anything. Well thanks to this blogs and me reading all the scuffs problems went to swap it for a white one, which also looked pretty nice on display. Worse mistake After one day of playing with it it way worse the black one was more nice and the screen was a lot nicer to enjoy with black background.
Not only that this one takes longer to charge I time it and dies faster!
So I'm stuck with a white iPhone 5 now!!

Anybody here on the same boat or if your considering I really don't recommend it you might regret it or get a phone with battery issues.

Last edited:

Mbman81

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2010
Sad to hear your bad luck w the second phone. You can always head back in to Apple Store and show them the issues for a replacement.

On a semi-related note how did you perform the color swap? In store? Did you reserve online since stock is low? I'm considering doing a color swap but all stores near me are out :(.

GUIZAR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Return and buy a new one

Well I had to return the black iPhone and they had plenty of white one in stick at apple in Houston which I reserved and bought it again.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Yeahhh, that's one thing I'm torn about. I personally like the white version better, but the black disappears into the background, making the viewing experience better in my opinion.

#FirstWorldProblems

the caveman

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Im sure you not gonna attribute a shorter battery life to a color. You obviously got less than perfect unit. Great thing about apple, this is why i buy their stuff, is that if there is a concern or a defect, you can replace it at apple store once they have enough in stock. So dont fret my friend, short battery life is a defect which is fixable by a swap.

GetSwole37

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
The white is Definately nicer naked. I have a black and have been thinking of getting a white one. I don't change cases so I would go w a white one, w clear back. However, the black border on some apps , videos does show up more and makes it look ugly. I'm sure that w in 3-6 months, most developers would update their apps to fit nicely however.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I took a look at the iPhone 5's again today and the white is so attractive. It's all relative to one's preference, but the white looks so nice against that silver band. It has this pearlescent shimmer to it. Looks very nice. And this is coming from someone who has a black 4S.

GUIZAR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Yeah you're right the screen disappears into the background on the black one after owning both colors. I can say the black one was amazing. The white one still pretty nice.
I'm going to restore this white one and if the battery doesn't improve it's going to have to go back. I really hate returning stuff but the phone was $700 no contract and it should be perfect!:D

Last edited:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I think the worst idea ever probably occurred in Germany in the 1940s, but switching your black iPhone for a white one is a close second.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
So I swapped my Black iPhone 5 for a White IPhone 5. My 4s was white and I really liked the black one. I got it on release date and It was perfect. I used for a week naked and it didn't get any scratches or anything. Well thanks to this blogs and me reading all the scuffs problems went to swap it for a white one, which also looked pretty nice on display. Worse mistake After one day of playing with it it way worse the black one was more nice and the screen was a lot nicer to enjoy with black background.
Not only that this one takes longer to charge I time it and dies faster!

Anybody here on the same boat or if your considering I really don't recommend it you might regret it or get a phone with battery issues.

I feel your pain. But if you had a perfect black one, why switch bc of a blog?

Switching it defeats the purpose, everyone wants a perfect black one.

GUIZAR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
I switch because everyone it's talking about how much the black iPhone gets scuffed and I hate putting cases on my phone so I went with the white one when you see it on display it looks clean once I had it for 24 hours I have a different opinion (don't like it) which I wouldn't recommend to a lot of people. If you have a perfect black iPhone keep it you might regret it like me :confused:

azure247

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
I switch because everyone it's talking about how much the black iPhone gets scuffed and I hate putting cases on my phone so I went with the white one when you see it on display it looks clean once I had it for 24 hours I have a different opinion (don't like it) which I wouldn't recommend to a lot of people. If you have a perfect black iPhone keep it you might regret it like me :confused:

Why didnt you like it? Solely because video clashes with the white frame?

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Well thanks to this blogs and me reading all the scuffs problems went to swap it for a white one... Worse mistake...

You're Welcome!

Sincerely,

MacRumors Members :D

jk.. sorry about your luck. Are you able to return and buy again?

GUIZAR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Exactly I didn't have a problem to beggin with. But all this Forums got me worried!! Oh we'll lol I'll stick to the white iPhone and I would return it and get a black one if it was just that easy to walk into a store and find one!

Just created this blog to let people know its not worth swapping their phone just because they're afraid the paint will come off or get scratched !
Some of this forums are overrated!

#iphone5madness

Edge1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2011
I had a Black iPhone 4 and 4S and wanted something different so I went with the White iPhone 5, and IMHO I don't even notice the black border after a while.

Sneakyfox

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
England, UK
Rocking my Black iPhone naked since last Thursday. No scuffs or wear, stuff isn't peeling/flaking off.

If there was damage out of the box, I'd have been annoyed, but there wasn't, so I'm grateful.

jk4lebron23

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2010
Nashville,TN
Since when did the battery have anything to do with the color of the phone?

Stupid.

Yep you are going to get a message like I did for name calling lol I got called out for calling an actual troll a troll

----------

Actually one of the worst ideas would be going from white to black.

The white puts the black to shame now IMHO

andrewicloud

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012

Just return back to the store and ask if your black iPhone has arrived and state they gave you a white handset until your black unit come ... That's what I would do anyway.... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.