Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
So, I need a new phone. While I was initially planning to get a SG3, I've decided I want to go more low cost on the phone now and save money towards a trip I want to make, so the choice at the moment is between a SG2 and iPhone 4S.

The cheapest SG2 I can get where I live is 280 dollars cheaper than the 4s. Yet, when I read reviews comparing them, they seem to come out pretty equally.

Reasons why I want android and the SG2:

I have it on my current phone, and quite like it.
I love the third party keyboard apps that make typing really fast. I text and email a lot on the go, and I think the IOS keyboard sucks.
Expandable storage.

Reasons why I'm a bit tempted to switch to iPhone:

Seamless integration with my iPad and Air.
While I quite like Android, I'm also as big fan of IOS.

I don't feel strongly for or against android or IOS as a whole, and I find that both app stores cover my needs.

Is there any good reason why I should spend that much more money on a 4s than a SG2?

My use pattern is calling, texting, listening to music and podcasts, emailing, browsing, navigation (on foot not car), web browsing, note taking apps, Skype, taking and sharing photos.

NoOneHitsHarder

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Middle of nowhere
I can't go back to an AMOLED screen, especially one with low resolution like the SGS II. I'd much rather have the beautiful high res IPS display of the 4s.

I'd go with the iPhone since I don't like Android phones but $280 is a big difference in price.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Reasons why I'm a bit tempted to switch to iPhone:

Seamless integration with my iPad and Air.
While I quite like Android, I'm also as big fan of IOS.

I have similar (MacBook & iPod Touch) plus my Android devices

I did make the switch for Calendar/Contacts to Google instead of iCloud and it integrates perfectly on all my devices

For iTunes I use an app called isync, this syncs music/podcasts to android, also updates playcounts/last played, works very similar to iOS syncing

If you dont mind giving up some of iCloud (replacing with google), I find both OS's sync well with OS X, haven't looking recently to see if iCloud can work with Android now

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Why not the galaxy nexus. Its a better phone in my opinion and is about the same size. The extra screen space is used for the soft keys. The software works so much better on it. The screen is much better as well. Text looks so much better.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Why not the galaxy nexus. Its a better phone in my opinion and is about the same size. The extra screen space is used for the soft keys. The software works so much better on it. The screen is much better as well. Text looks so much better.

This....

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Thanks, everyone, this is helpful.

I already use google for syncing my calendar, because I work in a Windows environment, so I don't mind so much not accessing iCloud on my phone.

The Nexus isn't as readily available here as the SG2 is, so I would have to pay 175 dollars more to get that. I see that the screen is much better, but the camera is 5mp instead of 8, so I'm not quite sure if it is worth the extra money?

I have an iPad 3gen so I do most of my media consumption in terms of reading and watching videos on that, so I'm thinking that a better camera might be more important to me than the better screen.

Is the Nexus worth the extra $175?

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009

I would likely agree with these folks.

That being said, if you are going to go for the bigger cost to get the Nexus, you might as well pony up for the GS3 imo.

If you can land a Google Nexus phone cheap then that might be your best alternative considering your useage requirements.

I myself, hate going back more than a year for a new device. Meaning I like the latest and greatest, I find they have more longevity, mind you, there are many others out there who DON'T think like me either (the world is a safer place that way).

If you use and like maps, regardless of your cost, any google product will be a better consideration. Until Apple gets their **** together.

Since you are not placing heavy demand on the phone and want something more cost efficient. I would recommend the S2. If you can't pick up a Gnexus Phone.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
That being said, if you are going to go for the bigger cost to get the Nexus, you might as well pony up for the GS3 imo

Yes, that's kind of what I was thinking as well.

I myself, hate going back more than a year for a new device. Meaning I like the latest and greatest, I find they have more longevity

The thing is, I generally tend to feel that way, too, and that's why I'm still a bit torn. Part of me just wants to get that SG3 :D But I use my iPad pretty heavily, and probably for a lot of the things that others would use their phone for, and since I'd have to fork out a bit over $300 more for the SG3, I'm thinking I could put that toward travelling instead.

Last edited:

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
So, I went to the shop to pick up the SG2, but found a Nexus for 45 dollars more, so I got that instead. I just unboxed it so haven't really tested it out yet, but I feel pretty good about the purchase. Thanks for the input!

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
So, I've played around with it for a little while now and set up my apps and launcher as I like them, and I quite like it so far. I think I'll be happy with this phone. I haven't tried to transfer music yet, but if that goes smoothly, I'll be satisfied.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
So, I went to the shop to pick up the SG2, but found a Nexus for 45 dollars more, so I got that instead. I just unboxed it so haven't really tested it out yet, but I feel pretty good about the purchase. Thanks for the input!

You'll be much happier with the nexus than the s2. The version of touchwiz on the s2 with ICS is bad IMO. The nexus is just a much better phone at this point.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
So, I've played around with it for a little while now and set up my apps and launcher as I like them, and I quite like it so far. I think I'll be happy with this phone. I haven't tried to transfer music yet, but if that goes smoothly, I'll be satisfied.

Congrats on your purchase! Hope you will enjoy it AND the travel you can now do!

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Yes, I'm happy :) The only thing that is annoying me is the location and small size of the 'settings' command in the lower right hand side of the screen (the three dots on top of each other) - it's not always that easy to get to if you're using the phone with one/the right hand. But I can live with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.