Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mateo124

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Anyone else have a very slight light bleed on the top right of the screen, like with the blue status bar? I didn't notice it until I looked at my phone from a distance when the setting app was open. The color saturation is indeed much better but I am curious to know if this is a problem that only I have. I attached a photo with it to show what I mean, but it is very faint and hard to see.

Attachments

• IMG_20120925_174808.jpg
    IMG_20120925_174808.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 668

bigcstyle4

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
Surprisingly, my iPhone 4s has a better screen display than my 5. Is anyone else noticing this? It's almost like I can see tiny vertical lines. The apple genius didn't see it (of course). The display iPhones didn't have this problem, but my phone and the genius' phone did. It's just frustrating, that's all.

I also had the vertical scan lines and had it swapped out. It's hard to see unless you move your eyes around the screen (playing a game, watching a video).

Use the attached test image and set it as your home screen. It's just alternating black/white lines of 1 pixel width. It will make the "shadowy" area near the dock flicker like crazy. You can show this to the Genius. It's very obvious. While I was waiting for my appointment I loaded it on a display phone for comparison (which looked perfect), but she said she didn't even need to look, it's that bad.

Don't accept this as being normal. It's definitely a hardware issue.

By the way, the Genius visually inspected the condition of the white box phone before activating it, and let me as well. She said a lot of people had been doing exchanges due to out-of-box damage.

Attachments

• scanlines.png
    scanlines.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 369,867

Jessay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I made a thread about what I think is the same thing you are seeing. It seems like some kind of interlacing or "combing."

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15911739#post15911739

This is exactly what I see. I believe it's the redesigned touch matrix. After looking at the displays and exchanging my iPhone, they all have the interlacing lines.

----------

I also had the vertical scan lines and had it swapped out. It's hard to see unless you move your eyes around the screen (playing a game, watching a video).

Use the attached test image and set it as your home screen. It's just alternating black/white lines of 1 pixel width. It will make the "shadowy" area near the dock flicker like crazy. You can show this to the Genius. It's very obvious. While I was waiting for my appointment I loaded it on a display phone for comparison (which looked perfect), but she said she didn't even need to look, it's that bad.

Don't accept this as being normal. It's definitely a hardware issue.

By the way, the Genius visually inspected the condition of the white box phone before activating it, and let me as well. She said a lot of people had been doing exchanges due to out-of-box damage.

You lost me...

panopticblue

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2011
Jessay, all the display units had this issue? The only i5 I've seen is my own, so it may be common. But the screen on my 4 and my iPad 3 are rock solid. I find it hard to believe the screen would be downgraded because IMO the interlacing makes it an inferior display to not only the 4s, but the 4 as well.

Yunosuke

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2007
Foster City, CA
Anyone else have a very slight light bleed on the top right of the screen, like with the blue status bar? I didn't notice it until I looked at my phone from a distance when the setting app was open. The color saturation is indeed much better but I am curious to know if this is a problem that only I have. I attached a photo with it to show what I mean, but it is very faint and hard to see.

Agggghhhh! Got replacement today because of light leakage from the edge of the device (not the bleed issue, the top right corner of my phone literally "lights up" lolo) also with a dead pixel.

Went back home and found a dust under the glass. AWESOME.
It'll go back tomorrow.

This is so annoying. I just wanted to rant. Nothing to do with screen quality sorry.

I think the color quality and accuracy is much better than at least my iPhone 4 and iPad 2. Probably not the same level of a perfect iPad 3 display but it's damn good overall. Of course if it doesn't have any stupid issues.

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
Wait about a month and a half. If you can live with it, keep it. If not, try to get an exchange. I was able to put up with the lines after a while, even though they irritated the crap out of me at first.

Are they persistent, or are they only noticeable after the screen turns on?

Yes, wait until you're out of your 30 day return period.

People, it's an expensive device and you're going to live with it for 1-2 years. If it's not PERFECT out of the box, return it!

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
My screen is amazing. By far the best screen I've ever seen on a phone. Very impressed and pleased. :)

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Yes, wait until you're out of your 30 day return period.

People, it's an expensive device and you're going to live with it for 1-2 years. If it's not PERFECT out of the box, return it!

I understand what you're saying, but I'm assuming the person still wants the iPhone 5 and doesn't mind exchanging until they do get a perfect one.

If you return the iPhone 5 though, what other device would you get? No matter what electronic device you buy, there is always a chance of a cosmetic defect. Apple is far more willing to exchange (and exchange again, if necessary) cosmetically defective devices than other manufacturers.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
Surprisingly, my iPhone 4s has a better screen display than my 5. Is anyone else noticing this? It's almost like I can see tiny vertical lines. The apple genius didn't see it (of course). The display iPhones didn't have this problem, but my phone and the genius' phone did. It's just frustrating, that's all.

Whhaaa???

Dude, my iPhone 5 screen puts my 4S to SHAAAME. Pictures and colors are insanely bright and clear on it. My wife grabs my phone to look at pictures of our son even tho she has the same shared Photostream on her 4S.

It's a night and day difference...

bigcstyle4

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
This is exactly what I see. I believe it's the redesigned touch matrix. After looking at the displays and exchanging my iPhone, they all have the interlacing lines.

No they don't. My replacement doesn't, and the colors, contrast, etc are all much better, not to mention the lack of scan lines.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Dang mine does this as well. Sort of noticed it right away but thought it would have been common on most iPhone 5's.

It's completely perfect otherwise.

Dunno that I want to play the swap game left and right though.

Also waiting on an unlock code from unlock_fusion on eBay.

Worth the hassle of swapping and getting another?

My first phone (black 32) i returned because of a hissing and buzzing earpiece and bad camera quality.

Battery seemed to go quicker than this one as well.

Returned, waited for a white 32 and grabbed it up.

Last edited:

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I've had 3 iPhone 5 units now

The first one had a perfect screen, but had other defects. There was no scan line issue

The second had a disgusting nicotine-yellow screen

My third one has a decent screen (not as good as first), but does this scan line thing. I noticed it as graininess.

I can confirm that the scan lines are a hardware problem that does not exist in all phones. There ARE good phones out there people and we all deserve to have them. Not to put up with scan lines, or yellow tint.

I'm waiting a few weeks for the new Sharp displays. Maybe those will actually be good.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

The first one had a perfect screen, but had other defects. There was no scan line issue

My third one has a decent screen (not as good as first), but does this scan line thing. I noticed it as graininess.

I can confirm that the scan lines are a hardware problem that does not exist in all phones. There ARE good phones out there people and we all deserve to have them. Not to put up with scan lines, or yellow tint.

I'm waiting a few weeks for the new Sharp displays. Maybe those will actually be good.

I wonder what I should do consider I'm getting an unlock code for the phone that has "scan lines." Maybe just eat the $9 unlock fee and return this and re-order another sometime?

Or wait until Genius Bar does screen swaps only? Order an advance replacement through AppleCare and do the screen swap myself (after ordering an iPhone repair kit somewhere with suction cup, prying tool, and pentalobe -- my pentalobe is another state).

my first was the same - good screen but other issues
this one has no issues but scan line screen.

would hate to have one with scan lines and other issues.

Argh.

Last edited:

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I wonder what I should do consider I'm getting an unlock code for the phone that has "scan lines." Maybe just eat the $9 unlock fee and return this and re-order another sometime?

Or wait until Genius Bar does screen swaps only? Order an advance replacement through AppleCare and do the screen swap myself (after ordering an iPhone repair kit somewhere with suction cup, prying tool, and pentalobe -- my pentalobe is another state).

my first was the same - good screen but other issues
this one has no issues but scan line screen.

would hate to have one with scan lines and other issues.

Argh.

You shouldnt have to weigh your options like this. You are buting a premium phone and should not accept mediocrity.

I'd wait a few weeks and try a phone from the next batch. iPhones have 30 days vs usual 14 for other apple products.

bigcstyle4

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
Yes if it bothers you that much. Save that test image as your wallpaper and do an iCloud backup. When you have the phone replaced, wait for the restore to get you to the home screen (5-10 minutes). Then you can verify the new screen is good before leaving the store.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
My screen is amazing. Plain and simple.

But I think it offers the exact same quality the 4S had. Nothing different.

panopticblue

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2011

So you've seen some with and without the scan lines or interlacing? Dangit now I'll have to go to the apple store and see. What really sucks is that my 32gb black is literally perfect in every other way and I feel like I'm going to be just rolling the dice.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
To those that got theirs replaced... are the replacements brand new? I doubt they have refurbished units this early in the game

Jessay

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
To those wondering, I do not have scan lines. I have interlacing, which I have seen on all the other 5's I have seen (including displays). I exchanged the phone because it had other defects and software issues. I had to return the phone at AT&T and buy another 5 at the apple store. The phone has the interlacing but is absolutely perfect. Not many people are able to see the interlacing, which leads me to believe that the touch matrix was redesigned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.