Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charliepratt

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009
This is not just a Verizon issue. I have AT&T, and I've already gone over my limit for the first time ever. Looked at the data usage details and there are huge issues. Going to call AT&T tomorrow, will report back.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
So, Verizon better brace themselves for demands to credit data that was "wifi" and really was via the data network.

How long before some angry nerd files a lawsuit claiming he was sitting on top of his router, using mobile data due to this bug? "It says I used 24 gigs but I swear it was really only 600mb!!"

oneword

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
So it looks like someone is finally noticing this insane data issue. I'm on Rogers in Canada and recently did the math on what data usage would cost me for three weeks in Europe. Because of the insanely expensive rip off that is data roaming, I calculated that my data bill would run about $8000 for 20 days of normal iPhone usage with a "data roaming plan". When I'm home, its no big deal because I have a 6gig plan but, when I travel, data roaming becomes a big deal at $10/mb and the phone uses about 40mb per day just sending Apple my personal information and tracking data (or whatever the hell it does).

Rogers solution was to turn data roaming off which is kind of pointless, otherwise, why would I want to own and $800 smartphone. Regardless, why can I not shut everything else off except email and the phone capabilitites? I call shenanigans, Apple and the carriers are in bed together and have no interest in fixing this issue.

Wildgift

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
I, too, have used an exorbitant amount of data (> 2 GB in less than a week, NEVER exceeded 2.4 GB in a month previously) while using LTE. However, I noticed that the data per web page seems incredibly excessive. Here is a photo of a single loading of a NYTimes web page (9MB!)--I zeroed out the data prior to this image. It often ranges 12-20 MB per web page. Of course, the normal content is about 300-1200 KB. Anyone else experience this? Verizon and Apple seem flummoxed by this . . .

Agreed. This is the other part of this huge problem.

Dainin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2009
I'm on AT&T and have no issues. I show 18MB used for the last two days, been on wifi almost constantly. I probably loaded about 20 web pages while on 3G.

Yumbo

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
Australia
WiFi has always been disabled when the phone is in sleep mode, but still receiving notifications and mail etc. on cellular.

With diagnostics enabled, that includes data being sent to Apple.

Not sure about iCloud backups daily as well.

Put in your requests for a solution to arrive by iOS 7.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
So, Verizon better brace themselves for demands to credit data that was "wifi" and really was via the data network.

How long before some angry nerd files a lawsuit claiming he was sitting on top of his router, using mobile data due to this bug? "It says I used 24 gigs but I swear it was really only 600mb!!"

Why exactly should Verizon take the blame for this disaster? Apple made everything in its power to extricate wireless providers from phone design/experience. I do not know how it's even possible for a company (Apple) to overlook such a critical issue. Do they even test their phones anymore? This being Apple fault they should pay to Verizon for all overages.

jaysen

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
Why exactly should Verizon take the blame for this disaster? Apple made everything in its power to extricate wireless providers from phone design/experience. I do not know how it's even possible for a company (Apple) to overlook such a critical issue. Do they even test their phones anymore? This being Apple fault they should pay to Verizon for all overages.

Apple QA is going down...

Draft

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
Chicago, IL
This fix is only for Verizon. I'm on o2 in the UK and am having similar issues. I burned through 1GB in 2 days, when that same amount normally lasts a full month. I had my phone on wifi the vast majority of the time as well..

Any fix for other carriers, Apple?

chaosboi

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2008
This is also effecting people on Telstra in Australia, although still nothing has been mentioned in the tech media.
Why has reports on this bug been so quiet when it involves money, yet the coverage over scuffing and maps has been off the chat?

jimmirehman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2012

The issue is, Apple Tests the phone, operations all function fine, but those test phones that apple uses on each provider, Apple doesnt get a bill for those lines. what they dont take into account is that all of our data is capped by THE PROVIDER for no actual reason other than greed. Lift data caps, give us all unlimited and this becomes a non-issue.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I never got this notice and have never applied this update, and my release day Verizon iP5 shows the 13.1 update. Odd. :confused:

I have noticed the cellular data usage meter on the phone shows about double the usage the Verizon web site shows I have used. Just roughly based on the times/dates and amount of data shown on the Verizon web site I believe the site is accurate.

dre29

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
Interesting. I got an alert that I used over 3GB of data last month. This is when I was on my iPhone 4 and I'm on AT&T!! When I checked my usage the vast majority of the hugh usage came at night when I was at home. I'm always connected to my wifi at home and the times the usage occurred we're later at night when I would have been sleeping or my phone at least was charging. I can only suspect this was occurring when my phone was backing up to iCloud??? I wonder if ill continue to see this problem and if we'll see an update for AT&T users next???

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The issue is, Apple Tests the phone, operations all function fine, but those test phones that apple uses on each provider, Apple doesnt get a bill for those lines. what they dont take into account is that all of our data is capped by THE PROVIDER for no actual reason other than greed. Lift data caps, give us all unlimited and this becomes a non-issue.

Partly true. The issue of getting charged for overages becomes a non-issue. But drain on resources from the carrier vs wifi is still very much an issue. If everyone is using the carrier's signal vs wifi - then that clogs/taxes the network greatly.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
GREAT! Now just do the same thing for the 4s and curb the overnight minimal data use that my wife's phone sees and we're all gravy.

MarkinAZ

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
I applied the update and turned the phone off then back on. I had data use show hours after I applied the patch when I was actively using wifi (phone not locked). It looks like the fix may have made the issue worse...

chazcron

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2012
This is not just iPhone 5 issue. My wife's iPhone 4S had the same thing started happening right after updating to iOS 6. On AT&T..

ladeer

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
i was traveling in asia until yesterday and got an email saying i used more than $250 of data and getting cut off. (VZ iPad LTE.) i am sure i didn't use that much data and was on wifi often. do you think i was affected?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
So it looks like someone is finally noticing this insane data issue. I'm on Rogers in Canada and recently did the math on what data usage would cost me for three weeks in Europe. Because of the insanely expensive rip off that is data roaming, I calculated that my data bill would run about $8000 for 20 days of normal iPhone usage with a "data roaming plan". When I'm home, its no big deal because I have a 6gig plan but, when I travel, data roaming becomes a big deal at $10/mb and the phone uses about 40mb per day just sending Apple my personal information and tracking data (or whatever the hell it does).

Does Rogers have an international data plan? Even AT&T offers 800MB plans for $120 for international use.

----------

This is not just iPhone 5 issue. My wife's iPhone 4S had the same thing started happening right after updating to iOS 6. On AT&T..

I have not noticed the issue on mine (AT&T), but my Broadband Wi-Fi connection is faster than my LTE connection. I wonder if the old software just defaulted to the faster connection, which until LTE generally would have been Wi-Fi.

Also, does anyone know if this affects iPads or just iPhones?

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
"Somewhat manually?" Man, if it were automatic, everyone would be freaking out about Apple doing things without user intervention. You just can't win.

... he means you have to manually tell it to search for an update, as opposed to the OTA iOS updates that send a notification automatically "hey there is an update" click yes to download etc.

mallwitt

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Hmmm, the more I read, it sounds like one of two things...

1) Automatic metric routing.

The system assigns a service metric to connection depending on throughput, then the system routes traffic to the connection with the highest metric. This used to be a major problem on PC Laptops with WIFI and network connection. If they connected to a 100 Ethernet and an N class WIFI connection, the N WIFI had a theoretical throughput greater than the wired network, so it got the higher metric and network traffic routed via the WIFI even when plugged into Ethernet. The solution was to either set connection precedence, or manually set the metric instead of auto-set. Windows 7 Seems to have fixed that, but perhaps someone at Apple forgot that LTE may end up with a higher metric than a WIFI connection?

2) Someone misplaced the decimal.

Some people are reporting the iPhone lists very high data use (10 MB for a web page and such), but the carrier is listing low usage. It could be that someone fumbled the decimal position and that 10 MB web page is supposed to be 10 KB.

Either way, I'm glad I'm still on 5.1.1 with my iPhone4, though it's bugging me about updating to iOS6. I think I'll wait...

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
Ah! I was wondering why my usage doubled. I didn't think LTE was THAT ridiculous. Good on VZ for fixing it, I hope they honor their word and credit back any overages people may have been charged.

mrholder

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2009
Glad to see that they can send an update to a particular carrier. They're going to push an update to C Spire iP 5's to make it work with their newly installed 4G upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.